Old 30-06-2021, 04:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

New toys

Well I am here to blow my trumpet and announce that both the new ZWO ASI 2600 mono and the Celestron RASA 11 inch astrograph have arrived.

John from Bintel said at the start he would get them to me at the end of June and he did in fact get them here a little earlier..my "carer" picked up the camera on Monday from the post office and today I over came my fear of passing out at the wheel and drove in to pick up the RASA which was delivered to the Rural Agents also probably on Monday...

The RASA is still in the car and it will be fun getting it out as I plan to do it all by myself but I will leave it there until the girls go out so they dont scold me for lifting stuff...but I will use a ramp and a wheel barrow ..I have to really.

I ordered a new lap top with three usb A ports as I seem to recall a need to avoid a usb hub and it may be available tomorrow.

What I dont have is the filters as they are on their way I think...

I have the filter draws ( got sent three I think by mistake ) so hopefully can have a go of putting things together...and I have no idea without looking at the scope and what came with the camera and the filter draw if I need more stuff or not....

I must say it is hard just having it in the car and not able to bring it inside and look at it...I need to bring it in tomorrow to look at , see if everything will go together then get it back in the car before they get home and not overdo things...then go into town and get the lap top and get back before they get home cause they wont let me drive into town I expect...and I dont want to worry them.

Again a very very big thank you to John at Bintel he is just wonderful to deal with..always there to take a call and endures my endless chatting, a pleasure to deal with.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 30-06-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 30-06-2021, 06:04 PM
glend (Glen)

That is great news Alex. What about getting your helper, that you were going to hire (The radio astronomy guy) to help you get the scope out of the car and un box it. Surely the girls would not object to your helper helping.
Old 30-06-2021, 06:25 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Congratulation Alex on your new acquisition .. nothing beats new gear smell. Whilst I understand your desire to keep doing things yourself I really don't think moving this without someone else present is such a good idea. I understand the RASA 11 is a considerable weight and boxed might be somewhat awkward to handle solo. Hopefully you rethink you plan. Sorry to be a downer on this for your new purchase.
Old 30-06-2021, 07:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
That is great news Alex. What about getting your helper, that you were going to hire (The radio astronomy guy) to help you get the scope out of the car and un box it. Surely the girls would not object to your helper helping.
He was to get in contact to do some tidy up but I have not heard from him...and I went to the bank to have some cash ready...but you know me if no help that wont stop me.
Alex
Old 30-06-2021, 07:29 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Sounds exciting Alex, a cool combo

Where is your car parked..?

Mike
Old 30-06-2021, 07:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Congratulation Alex on your new acquisition .. nothing beats new gear smell. Whilst I understand your desire to keep doing things yourself I really don't think moving this without someone else present is such a good idea. I understand the RASA 11 is a considerable weight and boxed might be somewhat awkward to handle solo. Hopefully you rethink you plan. Sorry to be a downer on this for your new purchase.
Good advice Hans and thank you but I do like challenges like this...I will use a ramp then into one of those two wheel garden carts only a couple of meters into the house.. that is one half a step and without taking it off the cart cut open the box to get access to the front so I can try and fit the camera.. Honestly doing it will help me get moving again ...give me some confidence..and I am going to take my blood pressure at various stages.
If I can do it I will feel capable again and believe me I need it...actually I could probably cut the box and do all that I need without taking it out of the car...
Alex
Old 30-06-2021, 07:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Sounds exciting Alex, a cool combo

Where is your car parked..?

Mike
I can get the car right alongside the big sliding door, so a couple of feet... but have to wait until they go out cause their car is there now and they probably wont like me bringing in the garden cart into the house anyways... but as I said maybe I can do what I need to do without taking it out of the car.
The job will be done..I cant be intimidated by not having the ability to lift it...
Alex
Old 30-06-2021, 08:20 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Exciting news indeed
Wow what a beast of a scope and one of the best Cmos cameras on the market
Try and arrange some assistance as it’s a heavy OTA at 20kg
Cant wait to see some images once you eventually get up and running
Clear Skies
Martin
Old 30-06-2021, 09:01 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Great news, I got my 2600MM a couple of days ago too and the sky was obligingly clear enough for me to go into a frenzy of fitting the filter wheel and getting it set up as it got dark, to shoot some first light data. It was mounted and in use so soon after unboxing it that I am only just shooting darks for it now as the clear sky has gone away!
Old 01-07-2021, 05:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin and thanks Paul.

Paul I read your post late last night and thought there was a certain irony in the fact that it was raining here.

There is a lot to do when I think about it...down loads for the new lap top and I expect other fiddling... and taking some darks is a good idea.
Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 05:51 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

So ... Mr Howard Carter have you opened the sarcophagus yet?
Old 01-07-2021, 07:07 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
So ... Mr Howard Carter have you opened the sarcophagus yet?
Now you are talking ..real people...see this is the type of person you do a movie about ..non fiction and real deeds...

Not yet.. trying give a guitar lesson via text message...and 30minutes to eat my poridge...now its time for my 8am meds..lots of..then blood pressure, then neck exercises and skin moisturizer... shave now that I do hygiene etc...but a problem daughter has stayed home.
can you believe this ..to keep an eye on me...cause of going out yesterday.. grounded..took my car keys...I am being treated like an invalid.
Lucky the car is unlocked but going to get the lap top looks dubious.
I will do my best given the new circumstances.
Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 07:22 AM
JA

Hi Alex,

Congratulations on your new arrivals and the imaging to come. Take care.

Best
JA
Old 01-07-2021, 07:28 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And the "assistant" just rang to arrange for a days work tomorrow...see how lucky I am things just fall into place one after the other...now for my 8 am meds running late but always the sign of a fun packed day...

Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 07:39 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
cause of going out yesterday.. grounded..took my car keys...I am being treated like an invalid.
Alex
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fe/2d/72/f...c2311faa3c.jpg

Old 01-07-2021, 07:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Alex,

Congratulations on your new arrivals and the imaging to come. Take care.

Best
JA
Thank you.

Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 08:08 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Alex, it is so nice to see this happening, well done mate & no doubt we're gonna see some great shots from that setup
Old 01-07-2021, 08:20 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post

When I did the pubs in Parramatta helping down and out folk manage better they used to call me "father confessor" ...for whatever reason people who were complete strangers would after a little while tell me their deepest secrets ...I think cause I never judged folk and was kind.

So facing two problems .. daughter is using the garden cart and the grass is still very wet and as the only foot ware I have (able to wear on my swollen feet) are slippers I cant even go to the car yet...best news is we have a new little lady chook, a little mate for Percy the pet house rooster...our little boy has grown up.
Life is just so wonderful isnt it.
Alex
Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 08:26 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Alex, it is so nice to see this happening, well done mate & no doubt we're gonna see some great shots from that setup
Thank you Mirko...I hope to do the gear justice..it is a beautiful winters day here..cold and wet mist hiding the mountains and so very quiet except for our roosters and next door having a crowing contest...now that is something that could really get to you if you did not decide to enjoy it..there are three here going nuts.

Tomorrow I go to the observatory which I have not seen for ages and I expect thousands of dollars damage possibly so being prepared I have determined not to let it worry me.

Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 09:16 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I cant praise Bintel enough..yesterday I had two trips into Tabby..the first showed no scope at the Post Office...late in the day I spoke to John (about other things) but said it had not arrived and he suggested the tracking number...anyways after that call I thought I will try the Rural Agent..they dont deliver to the address you nominate like your home...it was there..and I picked the RASA up from the Rural Agent...
Anyways just now a decent young man rings from Bintel...saying he is worried that I have not received my RASA etc..of course I could tell him its all ok.
But how good is that.. really just how good is that.

Alex