Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
  #21  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM
AG Hybrid's Avatar
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

AG Hybrid is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Yeah, agree, they are a very tempting range. The only concern I have is that with my fast f/5 Televue refractors, how will they go? I've recently tried some cheaper (than I usually buy) eyepieces, namely the Orion Stratus 24mm and TMB Planetary 9mm, and both show noticeable (to my eyes) field curvature in my NP127is. By contrast, my Pentax XW 7mm shows no detectable curvature - but then the XW costs A LOT more than the Orion Stratus and TMB put together! So I wonder what sort of picture the ES range would give with a TV f/5 refractor. Fox!
Should be fine. ES scopes go down to F6. Their eyepieces are meant to be very well corrected in their own scopes. I imagine a NP127 with a built in FF should perform just as well if not better.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Steffen's Avatar
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Steffen is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,906
A superwide eyepiece would have to have a flat field, what's the point of a huge canvas if only the centre is in focus? Not only would you have to roll your eyes around to see the far edges, you'd also have to refocus.

One thing that apparently only eyepiece makers with a field-scope lineage (such as Pentax and Nikon) have under control is geometric distortion. I suppose that's because the typical barrel distortion of most eyepieces is particularly annoying with terrestrial use. Oh, and orthos of course, they seem to be distortion free as well.

Cheers
Steffen.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 26-03-2013, 10:38 AM
mental4astro's Avatar
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

mental4astro is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 4,917
There is another Aussie retailer of ES eyepieces:

Extravision Australia

Worth a look.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Steffen's Avatar
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Steffen is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,906
Thanks Alex, added to my bookmarks. You never know where the next accessory bargain pops up…

There have been quite a few new (or unknown to me anyway) Aussie online stores lately. Is there a definitive list?

Cheers
Steffen.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 26-03-2013, 06:56 PM
AG Hybrid's Avatar
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

AG Hybrid is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,525
From the extravision website.

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC 14mm 100 Degree EYEPIECE 2"

$545.

Holy COW!
Compared to the price I got mine. That thing must actually have the
apparent field of 140 degrees and not 100.
More to the point, why is the 20mm $100 less. Trends around the world indicate the 20mm is $100 more then the 14mm.

Actually, shouldn't really be surprised by the pricing. If I'm not mistaken these guys mark up Celestron equipment before they are distributed around Australia being the sole importer. But I've digressed.

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 27-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Loupy31's Avatar
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Loupy31 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Clayton SA
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
From the extravision website.

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC 14mm 100 Degree EYEPIECE 2"

$545.

Holy COW!
Compared to the price I got mine. That thing must actually have the
apparent field of 140 degrees and not 100.
More to the point, why is the 20mm $100 less. Trends around the world indicate the 20mm is $100 more then the 14mm.

Actually, shouldn't really be surprised by the pricing. If I'm not mistaken these guys mark up Celestron equipment before they are distributed around Australia being the sole importer. But I've digressed.

Just ordered an ES 30mm 82 Deg , Great price
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 27-03-2013, 03:34 PM
AG Hybrid's Avatar
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

AG Hybrid is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loupy31 View Post
Just ordered an ES 30mm 82 Deg , Great price
$220.00

If that's not a mistake for the 30mm 82. I recommend everyone go and buy one right now. IT WILL ENRICH YOUR LIFE! Especially, if you ever wanted to own an eyepiece with very close performance to a 31mm nagler for almost 1/3 the price.

So maybe its not all bad then
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 28-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Loupy31's Avatar
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Loupy31 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Clayton SA
Posts: 311
Arrived today, and it is huge...


Loupy31
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 28-03-2013, 11:32 PM
AG Hybrid's Avatar
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

AG Hybrid is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loupy31 View Post
Arrived today, and it is huge...


Loupy31
Yes. yes it is. It weighs about a kilo.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 30-03-2013, 04:57 PM
AstroJason's Avatar
AstroJason (Jason)
Registered User

AstroJason is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 585
Hey Adrian,

Which eyepieces did you lend me to use on my dob the other night? I am keen to make a purchase on some quality EPs.

I know we used the Explore Scientific ones but can't remember if they were the 82 or 100 degree ones? Also do you notice any significant difference between the 82 degree 14mm to the 100 degree 14mm?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 30-03-2013, 09:15 PM
AG Hybrid's Avatar
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

AG Hybrid is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJason View Post
Hey Adrian,

Which eyepieces did you lend me to use on my dob the other night? I am keen to make a purchase on some quality EPs.

I know we used the Explore Scientific ones but can't remember if they were the 82 or 100 degree ones? Also do you notice any significant difference between the 82 degree 14mm to the 100 degree 14mm?
Well, we used the 9mm and 14mm 100's. I lent you the 14mm 82. We also used the 30mm 82 in your scope. Yes, big difference between the 82 and 100s. Physical size of the eyepieces for one. For the 100's they are 2" and the 82 are 1.25". Optically the difference between 82 and 100 degrees is significant. You have to roll your eyes or tilt your head to see the full field of view. Not a problem with me or you if I remember.

If your going to move on some new eyepieces I would recommend getting some 82's to start with. The 6.7,8.8,11 get particularly good reviews. I would recommend the 6.7 and 11, or 8.8 and 14mm setup to get started. The 6.7 is particularly good, it has a very flat field.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 31-03-2013, 08:29 AM
AstroJason's Avatar
AstroJason (Jason)
Registered User

AstroJason is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 585
ok yes it was the 100's were we had to roll our eyes to see the full field of view. Is that because the exit pupil exceeds the diameter of our iris? Not that I mind this because you really get that sense that you are immersed in the field!

The 82's might be the way to go to start with though, for one the price, secondly the 1.25" EPs would fit my Televue 2x barlow and thirdly the weight... I would need to get counter weights for the dob with those 100's I think.

Thanks mate, some food for thought there.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 31-03-2013, 03:56 PM
AG Hybrid's Avatar
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

AG Hybrid is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJason View Post
ok yes it was the 100's were we had to roll our eyes to see the full field of view. Is that because the exit pupil exceeds the diameter of our iris? Not that I mind this because you really get that sense that you are immersed in the field!

The 82's might be the way to go to start with though, for one the price, secondly the 1.25" EPs would fit my Televue 2x barlow and thirdly the weight... I would need to get counter weights for the dob with those 100's I think.

Thanks mate, some food for thought there.
Np
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
axle01 (Alan)
Registered User

axle01 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Townsville
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
$220.00

If that's not a mistake for the 30mm 82. I recommend everyone go and buy one right now. IT WILL ENRICH YOUR LIFE! Especially, if you ever wanted to own an eyepiece with very close performance to a 31mm nagler for almost 1/3 the price.

So maybe its not all bad then
You have just cost me $220 plus postage.

Alan
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-04-2013, 07:10 PM
AG Hybrid's Avatar
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

AG Hybrid is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by axle01 View Post
You have just cost me $220 plus postage.

Alan
I see it more of... I have enriched your life for $220 + postage .

Let us all know what you think when it arrives.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 27-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Don Pensack's Avatar
Don Pensack
Registered User

Don Pensack is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 457
ES 100 degree

ES is shipping these again, in 25, 20, 14, and 9mm.
We received word recently that the 5.5mm is finishing beta testing. If it passes, we could see those in a couple months.
Prices are very reasonable compared to TeleVue, though TeleVue is available in 21/17/13/10/8/6/4.7/and 3.7mm, so a lot of choices.
This is a wonderful time to be an amateur astronomer.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 27-06-2013, 05:51 PM
AG Hybrid's Avatar
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

AG Hybrid is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toongabbie, NSW
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pensack View Post
ES is shipping these again, in 25, 20, 14, and 9mm.
We received word recently that the 5.5mm is finishing beta testing. If it passes, we could see those in a couple months.
Prices are very reasonable compared to TeleVue, though TeleVue is available in 21/17/13/10/8/6/4.7/and 3.7mm, so a lot of choices.
This is a wonderful time to be an amateur astronomer.
Ha!! Don is on Iceinspace. How about that? I've been reading your posts for years on Cloudy Nights. Nice of you to take the time to browse our relatively little forums.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 27-06-2013, 11:52 PM
MattT's Avatar
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

MattT is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
Ha!! Don is on Iceinspace. How about that? I've been reading your posts for years on Cloudy Nights. Nice of you to take the time to browse our relatively little forums.
+1 on that. Some of Don's answers to Questions on CN have been more educational to me than wading through a book on optics. ( which I have done)
Not so sure on an ES 5.5 though, one of the joys of using a refractor is being able to screw a 2" GSO barlow nose piece onto a 2" diagonal and use the ES 100 eyepieces I have with it. The 9mm becomes a 4.5....now if only the atmosphere would behave.
Lovin' my trio of ES 100's
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 28-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Camelopardalis's Avatar
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Camelopardalis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,147
+1 from me too Don doesn't know it, but it was reading his experiences of the ES100 25mm that helped me (thanks Don!) to conclude that the eyepiece was one I'd like to try in my scope
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Benjamin (Ben)
Registered User

Benjamin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Moorooka, Brisbane
Posts: 713
Just a quick endorsement of Astropetes: got an ES 9mm 100-deg for less than the total price of getting one through the online US stores. Also his lego constructed reflector is truly a wonder!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
australia, distributor, explore, eyepiece, scientific

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement