Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 12-04-2019, 06:34 AM
glend (Glen)

Suggestions for Larger Format Mono Camera 44mm Diagonal

I am looking for a new mono camera which can take advantage of the 44mm image circle of my 71SDQ scope. I have not looked at available cameras in years, since buying the ASI1600MM-C. I also use a Nikon D5300 as my OSC. Suggestions for a good mono, cooled of course, that would suit? I would like to keep the budget under $4k Aus. Preferably something without "issues" related to AMP Glow, uneven cooling calibration problems, etc.

My research suggests the QHY600 might be worth waiting for, uses the IMX455 chip.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...qhy600-imx455/

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=c...catid=94&id=55

Not sure I could afford that.

Last edited by glend; 12-04-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

From what I’ve read that sensor alone is worth about $4kUSD.

At $4k AUD for a full frame mono sensor your best bet would be to look for a CentralDS mono-modded 5D MKIII
Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
From what I’ve read that sensor alone is worth about $4kUSD.

At $4k AUD for a full frame mono sensor your best bet would be to look for a CentralDS mono-modded 5D MKIII
Yeah, no thanks. Some years ago I paid CentralDS to debayer a Canon sensor for me and it came back with all sorts of artifacts as a result of their chemical debayering process. I had more luck with the ones I did by hand. Ultimately Central DS gave me a refund after I returned the sensor to them so they could see how bad it was. Yeah maybe I could have cleaned it up with flats (which was their attitude), but that blase attitude to quality (and no warranty) told me I would not do business with them again. The scraping method was the most successful, I found, for DIY debayering, but my eyes are not good enough for that detail work now.
Old 14-04-2019, 10:36 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I am looking for a new mono camera which can take advantage of the 44mm image circle of my 71SDQ scope. I have not looked at available cameras in years, since buying the ASI1600MM-C. I also use a Nikon D5300 as my OSC. Suggestions for a good mono, cooled of course, that would suit? I would like to keep the budget under $4k Aus. Preferably something without "issues" related to AMP Glow, uneven cooling calibration problems, etc.

My research suggests the QHY600 might be worth waiting for, uses the IMX455 chip.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...qhy600-imx455/

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=c...catid=94&id=55

Not sure I could afford that.

Fuji GFX50 mirrorless 50mp Sonysmall medium format sensor is starting to be used for some astro images.

That IMX 455 sensor is very likely to appear in the next Sony A7riv camera or perhaps an A9r camera. Price will be much lower like Aussie $4,500.
Not the same as a cooled mono version though and we have to wonder if Sony will have fully handled the star eater issue (gives some green stars).

Greg
Old 14-04-2019, 02:19 PM
glend (Glen)

There is a thread on CN discussing the IMX455 and other chips coming to market. Included in the last few days are comments from people attending NEAF who have asked about new cameras and the responses given by manufacturer reps:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...7#entry9291231
Old 23-08-2019, 08:36 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Early bird offer on the QHY600M

https://www.cyclopsoptics.com/astron...0-28419325b0e2
Old 23-08-2019, 09:38 PM
glend (Glen)

Thanks Chris, looks good.
Old 23-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'm curious as to how well it'll bin. The pixels are a bit smaller than what I'd like for such a large chip or even just for sampling with my 250mm F/10. With 4.88 micron pixels I'm already at 0.4"/pixel!

I'd love to see something like a 24mp mono BSI CMOS
Old 29-08-2019, 10:34 AM
gregbradley

Not to write it off before even seeing some images but I did see a review of the Sony A7riv (this same 61mp full frame sensor) and comparison images with an A7riii (42.4mp). I was surprised to see how much noisier the A7riv was at the higher ISOs you would often use like ISO3200, 6400.

So no free lunch there with the smaller pixels.

I think the 36mp full frame sensor is close to the ideal. That is already being used in some cameras by QHY and perhaps others.

61mp would have the advantage of 2x2 binning and still be a decent 15mp or so which is more than an STL11 camera.

But 61mp unbinned does not sound like it holds any advantage for astro at all just increased noise. What optics would you use it on? It would have to be a very high strehl system to cope with the resolution of the 61mp sensor.

As said 24mp would be good. I am unsure if BSI is a good thing for astro or not. It might be.

Greg.
Old 29-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I wouldn’t write it off just yet, some of their best work has 3.75 micron pixels in a OSC sensor...and the IMX224 isn’t even BSI.

I would be logical that the high ISO noise will be higher than with larger pixels. Resolution and SNR are always at odds.