Old 29-01-2021, 11:39 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Startools V1.6 Example Basic Workflow

A member in the beginners Astro section asked me for some help with Startools as he was struggling with his processing. I’m certainly no expert on Startools but have been using it successfully for 3 years without too many problems
I sent him an example of one of my recent workflows ( basic format ) on M42 Orion using version 1.6 which he appreciated. He was using version 1.7 but the workflow is still relevant in most of the modules
I thought I would post it in this section as it may be of some help to others using Startools. Remembering that one shoe doesn’t fit all but at least it’s a basic guide or basic procedure to get started
Hope it providers any assistance with this great Astro processing software
Kudos to the Developer Ivo Jager !!
Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Startools Image Processing Example WorkFlow.pdf (46.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 29-01-2021, 12:38 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

1.7 stable is out now and has more features. It's also faster on my old machine. One thing I like about ST is the generic workflow. Also it records every step and settings in the log file so you can copy/paste your workflow in another file to back up or share with others. It's very handy when you process the same type of shot 6 months down the road and find yourself thinking how the hell did I do that last time.
Old 29-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Yes, Startools is a pleasure to use
I image from 2 vastly different locations ( Sydney Bortle 8 and South Coast Bortle 3 ) so I don’t usually keep a log of specific settings and values for each object as conditions differ quite a lot but yes the general format of your workflow is mostly repeated in one way or another with some variables thrown in dependant upon the object
I’m upgrading to V1.7 within the next 6 months as I’ve only been using V1.6 for 4 or 5 months or so. Apparently the Wipe , Compose and Colour modules in 1.7 have greatly improved plus some additional modules
Maybe V1.8 might be on the cards late this year ???
Old 29-01-2021, 08:24 PM
Zuts

I can highly recommend these instructions, they are clear and concise and I used them to process some of my images. They are a good grounding in a processing workflow.

Cheers
Paul