Old 15-01-2021, 04:33 PM
Fr00t (Gary)

Basic guiding hardware.

Hi All, I'm relatively new to astro imaging.

I've got a Skywatcher 200 PDS with a 9 x 50mm finder scope.
It's on an EQ5 mount which I have motorised using stepper motors and a 3d printer board using AstroEQ plans. I've only used it standalone, and am looking to try some guidance with something like PHD2.

Can I convert the finderscope to a guide scope by adding a helical focusser and an astro camera?

I have a SVBONY SV305 with which I've got some nice planetary and moon images, but stars seem very dim with it, as I need about 2 seconds per frame exposures to be able to see the stars, and don't see any stars with the live view type 30fps. So I'm guessing the SV305 isn't suitable for the purpose unless I'm missing something in the settings to make stars more visible.

If a SV305 isn't suitable as a guide camera, would something like a ZWO ASI 120mm mini be able to work with my 9x50 finder scope?
Old 15-01-2021, 04:44 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr00t View Post

If a SV305 isn't suitable as a guide camera, would something like a ZWO ASI 120mm mini be able to work with my 9x50 finder scope?
Most finder scopes have a focus mechanism at the front housing for the lens so you can have a camera bolted at the back. GSO 8x50s do. All you need is a threaded adapter. Work out the distance the camera needs to be in focus at the back and get a small adapter made.
Old 15-01-2021, 10:57 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr00t View Post
Hi All, I'm relatively new to astro imaging.

This is my temporary setup, but the issue is there is a lot needed to modify the 9 x 50 finder scope to get it working so if you want to spend a lot of time modifying then go for it.
For me it works a treat and make my future upgrade to a dedicated guide scope down on the priority list now. The camera is tops!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210115_232052-1.jpg)
192.1 KB30 views
Old 16-01-2021, 12:43 PM
Fr00t (Gary)

Thanks for the ideas. I have a 3d printer, so creating an adapter for my guide scope shouldn't be much trouble. I'll get the ZWO ASI 120mm and start building once it arrives.