Old 17-01-2024, 06:28 PM
Aurorae (Sara)

H-Alpha Filters with Stock Cameras

I am currently a Nikon Z user and have been interested in modifying my camera to increase the deep-red response for nightscapes. It is a nervous transition because my cameras are expensive and the re-selling cohort significantly shrinks.

While modded cameras can take advantage of narrowband filters to cut light pollution, any thoughts on the impact of h-alpha filters on stock cameras as an alternative? While I am conscious the response will be significantly smaller compared to a modded camera, would multiple 3-4 minute photos stacked from a stock camera using a h-alpha filter at least increase the transmission enough for better photos then without the filter?

Would be keen to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Old 24-01-2024, 12:04 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Sara, it will depend on the stock camera's general response to Ha. Some tend to show more response than others. Narrowband filters certainly can be used on unmodified cameras but the exposures are often much longer than a modded camera. Below is an example I took using a 7nm Ha filter on a stock Fujifilm XT100 mirrorless camera. I got a result but from memory my exposure was several minutes with a "fastish" lens and high iso. Of course you have to use a tracking mount for this type of photography. You need quite a few subs as well, to cancel out the noise. A minimum of 25 subs will generally give you a reasonable result with Darks added and Flats if required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HaFujifilmXT100.jpg)
202.1 KB30 views