Old 28-12-2011, 11:23 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Help! My Sbig CCD died!

My ST2000xm emitted smoke from the PCB tonight. Now it willl not power up so it needs repair. Is there any advice from IIsers who have had SBig repairs - is this going to require retuen to the USA (I guess yes) and how long can I expect it to take?

I wisj I knew what caused this - I did have some odd power issues with this camera right from the start - it would only work properly with the DC power supply and not the AC one - I wonder if there is a fault in the PSU - I had better return the lot.

Bugger!

John
Old 29-12-2011, 04:30 AM
gbeal

John,
sorry to hear this, they are virtually bullet-proof too.
I did have an issue many years ago with an ST2K I had, can't really recall the part that smoked, an "IC" if I recall correctly.
A local electronics friend got the new IC (I still have the remaining 4, they were sold in lots of 5, LOL) and soldered it on. Not for the faint-hearted though, watching.
A Mayday e mail to SBIG worked for me, so maybe try that, although you do have a local rep, whereas I didn't.
Gary
Old 29-12-2011, 10:21 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

You were rigt an SOS email to SBig has resulted in excellent after sales service - a replacement PCB is on its way - cost $200. Hope it fixes the problem, wish I knew what caused it I am nervous now.
Old 29-12-2011, 10:36 AM
gbeal

Well that's good news John, and maybe they could shed some light on what possibly caused it, you asked them??
In the meantime I think I'd be getting the power supply checked, and really this could be done by a competent electrical person, it will have an input and output specification surely.
Good to hear you will make it work again though.
Gary
Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Replacement PCB arrived today - fitted - it works, great service from SBig.

And a word of warning about LAB type power supplies - these often allow the ground to float - that is the -ve pole is not a true ground (earth). This is done, I think, to reduce noise.

BUT

In my case the difference between +ve and -ve was 13.8V the difference between -ve and earth was 24.7V baaad.

Bottom line is don't assume - check.

Regards

John
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 PM
gbeal

Ah, wonderful John.
I wonder if the old PCB can be repaired?
Gary
Old 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
Replacement PCB arrived today - fitted - it works, great service from SBig.

And a word of warning about LAB type power supplies - these often allow the ground to float - that is the -ve pole is not a true ground (earth). This is done, I think, to reduce noise.

BUT

In my case the difference between +ve and -ve was 13.8V the difference between -ve and earth was 24.7V baaad.

Bottom line is don't assume - check.

Regards

John
John, as ex engineer that worked with PS for long time - most of power supplies are floating - ea 0 volts is not tied to the Earth

Last edited by Karls48; 04-01-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Ah, wonderful John.
I wonder if the old PCB can be repaired?
Gary
Possibly - to my eyes it looks like an SM resistor has cooked - the one on the GRND line of the 12CAUX port, beyond my feeble electronics skills I am afraid...
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM
gbeal

Well, maybe find someone within the astro community that has the skills and look at fixing it. Handy to have a spare I reckon.
Gary