Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 PM
Chris Southby (Chris)

Base mount for camera tripod

Hi
I'm trying to find a low cost way of mounting my homemade motorised barn door tracker to a regular camera tripod. The camera tripod adjustments are too course for a good polar alignment and I've had a look at the William Optics VIXEN STYLE BASE MOUNT. Are there any other options that would work?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 05-05-2021, 07:19 PM
jeff65 (Jeff)

I used a 3/8" - 16 TPI T-Nut mounted on a pine board to make an adapter plate for my DIY mount.

It's in storage or I'd add a photo. It's literally just a square board with the T-Nut in the centre. The tripod threads onto the T-Nut while the telescope mount is attached to the board with screws. I just leave it attached to the mount and spin the mount along with the adapter plate on and off the tripod thread.

If you aren't familiar with T-Nuts they should be affixed to the opposite side of the board from where the thread is going to into them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVfkxJiqLkA
Old 05-05-2021, 07:20 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Southby View Post
Hi
I'm trying to find a low cost way of mounting my homemade motorised barn door tracker to a regular camera tripod. The camera tripod adjustments are too course for a good polar alignment and I've had a look at the William Optics VIXEN STYLE BASE MOUNT. Are there any other options that would work?

Cheers,

Chris
Hi Chris,
There are many possibilities depending on what sort of load you will carry, what sort of focal length and details of your tracker and tripod. Also whether you require it for home or travel use would play in to suggestions.

Best
JA
Old 06-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Chris Southby (Chris)

I was thinking of a SKY-WATCHER STAR ADVENTURER EQUATORIAL WEDGE.

This might be a relatively low cost option to make polar alignment easier. Has anyone used one before and are they good quality?
Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-05-2021, 10:25 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

adjustable base for Skywatcher

Hi Chris,

Long time no hear. Hope you're well.

The problem with a regular tripod is that unless you have a really solid one, a star adventurer puts a lot of stress and results in a lot of flexure so that even if you can adjust it, it can sag usually at the centre post connection.

I recommend use of a builders tripod to students in my astrophotography courses. Available from hardware and tool suppliers, they are very solid and designed to hold dumpy levels and much much cheaper than comparably solid camera tripods. Then either a Skywatcher equatorial wedge, or a solid wood wedge with an adjustable top using a strong door hinge or gate hinge and T nut as described in an earlier post.

Joe Cali