Old 19-05-2022, 10:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My Big Day

I thought I posted my story but it had not gone thru and me thinking it had been deleted I had a dummy spit and deleted my stuff...

I was wrong and I said so but when you examine my day you can perhaps understand I was tired and uncommonly cranky..maybe the withdrawal from the morphine which I will cover later.

I appologised to Andrew and will now put the story together again..although it was yesterday and things are already getting dim

My tale starts getting up at 4am playingbmy guitar having meds, a long process, weet bix etc and getting to my job site at 6 am.

I keep getting marooned here due to the extreme wet..the ground just can't take it and so my road needs work..blue metal but I have not bothered to seek any as I know none will be available given the road repairs going on in our area.

So nevertheless I must do something..I have to vote after all on Saturday

So I swung the pick for quiet some time and shoveled heaps of clay to reduce the camber on a bend that when wet has you completely slip sideways no matter how slow you go round..it really is like ice..making it level will help just so much..in addition I have laid pavers and placed concrete , 12 bags so far to improve traction in the worst places...also I have dug drains everywhere to move the water and made a crossing with pipes no less..lots of work and I am rather proud given most days I can't stand up. But I stopped my cancer meds and got my feet back to get these things done.
I just had to as I really can't walk when they bite.

Well by 8 am I needed a rest cause tge pick takes it out of me even justvlifting it and letting it fall to save myself a heart attack ...so thought to mow a non used track to perhaps get a second route to my set up..it was sitting so I could recover...but I made that choice to rest really..anyways I got the mower well and truely bogged, even removing the trailer I could not rescue it..so get ready for my major drama of the day but not the last...I thought get some bark and you know make a track..so close by there was a dead tree which had bark, I took what I could reach but realised I could probably bring it down by rocking it..and I did start rocking it and I think I could have done it but then I heard "crack" I knew instantly what had happened so I grabbed the tree and pulled myself as close with one arm and covered my head with the other just as the top ten feet of the dead tree speared into the ground a foot away right and right where I was standing doing my rocking...so very very very close..but really what a great day to have cheated death again..honestly I dont know why it wastes time chasing me ..go after easier prey.

So what to do after trying with the bark I had gathered that did not work.

Mmmm walk 500 mtrs back to the van/ observatory and bring back rope and the turffer..( a winch type thing) sure easy but not so much for an old man who needs a wheel chair most days..so as I had no choice off I went using my shovel like a crutch....

I got back to the van and rested for an hour loaded up and drove my white car as far as I could to halve the walk back..I also got my little garden wheel barrow to carry the turffer and rope..so much rope..but you need it sooner or later...and it was sooner because the first tree I used as an anchor point started to move more than the mower each time I moved the lever..so undo all that find another tree..which I did but it was just so taxing as the grass is waist high and my balance is non existent..the next tree I tied off to a second tree so if it started to fall it would slow things so I could get out of the way..well it did not move but I would winch and run the cable out a damn terrible process because it is a crappy turffer and will be replaced..it's gone..it made a hard job near impossible...four runs of cable to move the thing ten feet..so finally I drag the mower and get it such that I could ride it out..which I did...pretty proud of myself by now and very happy not to be dead and amazed that I walked so far..I mean you must understand there are days where I literally can not get from one end of the van to the other un,less I in effect carry myself via my arms hanging off cupboards approach.

Also two days earlier I stopped my prescribed morphine and just waiting for the withdrawal to bite.. happily it hasn't..again so lucky..I am just so lucky..

So I get back to the car go back to the van and come back after a ,long rest and food to rescue the trailer and my tools and the little wheelbarrow and untie all the damn rope which now seemed to be everywhere...so not being able to get the mower anywhere close I ran out the rope and dragged it at the end of about 60 feet of rope.and that worked although I turned the thing over and had to empty the tools etc and the 20 litre full petrol container and bring them out a bit at a time in the garden wheel barrow...but I got it done..AND the complete irony..It was hot, so I took my shirt off and got very Sun burnt..funny given the rain has kept me grounded for so long.

ANYWAYS today I pulled up fine..at one stage I got hit by leg cramps that near made me scream but my trick was to stick some salt under my tounge and fortunately that worked If not it would have been a handful of morphine..so again so lucky to even have salt on hand cause I don't use it in fact avoid it as many folk do...

So that was my big day.

It may sound ordinary to young folk but for me with my issues I rate it like climbing Mt Everest walking on your hands...

But when I think of the past 18 odd months cheating death on three or four occassions but more dead than alive..going for months unable to eat and losing 25 % of my body weight, unable to play my guitar or even pop a pill out off it's little packet..that weak...so do you think I am happy to be just so very very lucky...and now again capable of doing the impossible..but its the result of being patient persistent and resourseful working around my issues...

AND being old no one cares or interested but presenting it here makes me feel good somehow.

Thanks for listening.

alex
Old 19-05-2022, 11:41 PM
Bobbyoutback

Wow Alex you sure are having some adventures these days !

My congratulations on dodging the reaper again but try & be more carful next time .

Cheers
Bobby
Old 20-05-2022, 12:19 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

That's some effort there Alex.
Gives me some idea what I may be in for
when I get old.
I'll be 80 in a few months time.
Luckily I am fairly healthy at this time.
Keep on keeping on,and try to do it
a bit more safely.
Thinking of ya Mate.
Cheers
Old 20-05-2022, 04:46 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Not sure if I'm left with Tough old bugger or Silly old bugger from that...

Glad to hear the you were not crowned by the tree crown, though at 80 cheating death via misadventure is pretty cool...

In regards to your corner, get some water loving plants in there, something big and leafy that will evaporate a lot of water out through its leaf's. Willows are horrible for being big drinkers if you have the room. Or talk to a local nursery of you want natives to try and do the same job.
Old 20-05-2022, 06:04 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well I am up had my weet bix, played some guitar, had my meds and its 5-15 am but still dark so I can't really get started ..good excuse eh so.. I say thanks to everyone for indulging me.

What I did not say was late yesterday I tried my road and I got out and up to the main house to see the girls and pick up some more meds..it's always pick up more meds but also a dimmer switch they picked up for me to attach to my light pad so I can take light frames if for some strange reason I ever get to do some astro imaging...its funny how such a little thing can get me going and today they pick up their new car from Grafton but also my new intervalometer which has come in, so life could not get much better.

May I address each of you now individually.

Bobby I am careful that's why I survive. I did not look up when I heard the crack but thought the worst and acted on a negative assumption and that shows I am careful in the extreme and yes I will in any event be as prepared and as careful as possible next time although I really am getting sick of rescuing vehicles from mud.

Hey Ron I always think of you and how successful you are and demonstrate that old age is not to be feared. AND I think it's great as life is just better. I am also very lucky to basically have good health because when you think of the issues I have managed to get thru if I wasn't really fit I would not have made it...and the reason I was so happy getting thru my big day was it told me I still am very strong both physicsically and mentally... the problem simply comes from the side effects of the cancer medication which for me manifests in making my feet feel terrible when I stand but the lucky thing is they are no problem what so ever when I drive which given my recent silly purchase of the red car again is just being so very lucky. AND I must admit I have become a little scared to do things cause of my issues, I tend to worry about a heart attack cause my blood pressure needs now to be managed with meds..I am careful perhaps too careful...but my big day has moved me past that. Thanks for commenting I love hearing what you have to say.

Steve good advice but I am on top of the problem as evidenced by driving around it late yesterday and not sliding one bit ..I laid pavers and cement on the lower side so I now have traction and something to stop me...I am about to ride up now and look at the tire tracks to see where I need more pavers and while the girls are away nick up and bring down more pavers and go to Tabby and get more concrete ... I figure just keep adding concrete and pavers ( the previous owner left a stack) until I can cover the lot in blue metal..goodness knows what it will cost as I need about 300 mtrs to get a solid road to my van and observatory but thinking about it if I needed an ambulance, and I know it will never happen, but they need to be able to get in ..I did think I could rely on the helicopter rescue but the reality is they blow everything to kingdom come and would destroy my set up...but see I think ahead and prepare for all conceivable contingency...that's me heck things go wrong so you need to be prepared as best you can be.

Anyways I will get going as it will be reasonably light by the time I get to where I want to put some more concrete.

Voting tomorrow that will be fun as I like to stir those folk up who give you the how to vote stuff ..I have my show stopping questions for all parties.

Thanks again

alex
Old 20-05-2022, 09:04 AM
JA

Go get 'em Alex!

Best
JA
Old 20-05-2022, 10:52 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Hi Alexander, sorry to hear about your situation. Glad you have been unscathed through those incidents you have encountered. Stay strong and positive and wishing you all the best. Clear skies!

Joe
Old 20-05-2022, 11:11 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Your autobiography should be titled "The Grim Reaper Can Wait..."
Old 20-05-2022, 08:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for all your kind wishes.
The good news is the road is now passable but that does mean I can wander around in public places ... happily no after affects at all and apart from the legs from the back opperation years ago I am in near perfect physical condition.
Thanks again for your interest.
Alex
Old 21-05-2022, 12:59 AM
Bobbyoutback

Alex ' please keep posting as there is an underlining nice felling you give out .
Bobby
Old 21-05-2022, 01:06 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
Alex ' please keep posting as there is an underlining nice felling you give out .
Bobby
I would really like to oblige Bobby but I have to go to bed now and there is little more I can say about the road anyways but thank you for your kindness it is very nice of you to say that.
alex
Old 21-05-2022, 06:17 AM
leon

Once again i have read your story with interest.

Alex what an effort, especially for you, a younger fitter person would find it difficult to keep up, so well done mate, you are amazing.

Stay well my friend.

Leon
Old 21-05-2022, 09:54 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Once again i have read your story with interest.

Alex what an effort, especially for you, a younger fitter person would find it difficult to keep up, so well done mate, you are amazing.

Stay well my friend.

Leon
Thanks Leon...and thanks for giving me an opportunity to go on a rant..you must know by now.

I spent some time yesterday reflecting on some of the things I have done, that really were over the top, when I was younger, that, when I recall I find difficult to think that I was the person doing all these things.

But I then started to think of my influences and the people in my life who provided the examples of greatness that I could try to apply to various situations in my life that demanded just so much more than what we grow up with to regard as normal.

I had a few..my grandfather was a man's man strong and silent capable of so much.
He was a genuine hero stepping forward when every one else backed down against an aggressor..there is a story which I shall not tell only because I think I have told it before here if not you are in for a treat one day..but let me say it is why I will step up when everyone else is running away...his influence.

He was a dairy farmer but started out as a cane cutter which explained why he was unusually strong and an unstopableworker. He fell off the windcmill once ( its the sotta thing you dont do twice) and broke his collar bone but after getting his breath went backnup to finish the job..it had to be done or the cows would have no water...cut out a bad tooth with his pen knife..probably too poor to see a dentist..I reckon you could have hit him in the face with a house brick and he would be concerned that something was bothering you and try to help you out..

Then there was my master solicitor who was the Director of Man Power in the second World War who after a outstanding career as a leading academic retired and thought it would be helpful for his Sons legal practice if he studied law qualified as a solicitor when most others were giving up bowls cause of their old age maladies. I started working for him when he was 91 years old.

If I asked him about a legal problem he would tell me which book to look in , the page number the paragraph and the sub section..now just think of the number of law books in a legal office and realise he did not study these until he had retired...he taught me humility and not to show folk how much you know...and to never lose..we had a case where our client did not give way to the driver on the right the other car hit him and took out three shop fronts being driven off course... now I thought it was hopeless but he pointed
out that the other driver must havecbeen speeding andcas such our client could not be regarded as negligent...on the other side we had the same insurance company andctheir lawyer thought he had an unlosable case so he brought two of the insurance company head dudes to watch how good he was..big mistake..he got woppedbyva 91 year old man who refused to lose...he is always with me...he took me under his wing and taught me so much that losing or giving up is just is not in my vocabulary. He was together right up to the moment he died and I was privelledged to see him only hours before he went...I am in tears ...thats ok but doesn't mean I am weak I know he would be proud of how I have used my life.

The saying talk quietly and carry a big stick was written by someone I expect inspired by that man..

However the chap who really showed me an approach way past normality I met when he came to me with a legal matter and we became good friends.

He lived a life style I had never been exposed to and frankly have never since since.

He really had no money in terms of assets like real estate or shares but lived as if he was a millionaire.
He would say I buy what I want then work out how I will pay for...mmm should have gone into government.

Always a tenant he rented all his homes..one time after moving to a nice home in Wahroongah a well to do Suburb in Northern Sydney he invited my wife and I for dinner to show off his new maid who served us pre dinner drinks and our meal as if in an English castle.

He later moved to a five acre property at Turramurra with tennis court, stables, and pool..a Merc and a mustang for his cars and a cabin cruiser down at Bobin Head.

When I first met him he held down two jobs as a real estate salesman at two separate offices, one in Hornsby and one at Bankstown neither knew he worked elsewhere...at night he ran a cleaning business and one night I went with him to help as his worker had a car accident that day and he really needed help..that was my first lesson in being super human..we started with a little shopping centre at Berowra then off to a floor of offices at Turramurra and the last a big one... the bowling alley at Rockdale on the other side of the city ..he dropped me home at 4 am and both he and I were in our respective offices at 9 am having had a good morning sleep off mere hours...he did this day in day out.

I would say to him things like...
..you know a pest inspection business would be easy to put together all you need is a clip board and a white coat..-that sort of thing and explain what you needed in effect..I knew simply from observing various clients in all sorts of enterprises...and I mentioned a cleaning products business, a lonely hearts club and others over time that I can't now remember..well usually the very next day he would turn up with business cards, letter head a set of books ready to go and in the white coat with clip board ...whatever ...saying ok give me some pest inspections...the lonely hearts thing he went off and rented two floors in the city and in no time had his club packed...sold it for good money to repay the creditors ..another time he got into repossesing cars..we would ( the four of us ..wives included here) be going out to dinner in the city someplace and he would throw a u turn and off after a car calling at his wife to check his list ..full on...-we were lucky he never found one while we were with him but let me say both he and his wife were characters that you could not even find in the movies.

Then there was the guy who wanted me as a partner in his "cleaning business". He knew I was competent with franchises as I had got a name for it in a small way, but that is a whole other story. He had a huge annual turn over...so his deal was he would do a letter box drop and adds in the local paper for a particular area offering house cleaning...the phone would ring and he would book the new client in give them the price over the phone etc..so he filled the diary names addresses prices times..at the same time he ran an add in the Sydney Morning Herald ..cleaning business for sale..$4000 whatever...so I go to his house to watch him deal with a buyer..he spends like two hours having the potential buyer clean his house all the while showing him how to be efficient the products etc and at the end take $4000 and hand him the diary and a box of bottles...he never saw any of those houses he booked in..week in week out ..city to city.

I know so many ways to make big money real quick from all these folk I have watched.
It's not easy..it's very easy.

All these folk who I have been priveledged to get to know taught me there are the ordinary people who do ordinary things and then there are these people that you could write a book about or make a movie and their tales would seem fictional.

And of course my late father, my best mate he was, no tears when thinking of him they don't help you function...so quiet meek and mild you could be decived to think he was a wimp..but pull his chain and believe me no one would stand against him.. his very presence was just unbelievable..when he spoke every one stopped to listen ..commanded respect like no one else I have ever seen..when he spoke he would immediately become leader of the enterprise of the folk assembled for that particular meeting...leadership would be thrust upon him where others chased it...But he is with me even now and my biggest joy is that he was proud of me and loved hearing of my adventures...we were so much alike..you probably dont think of me this way but I am a very quiet person in many respects..I only ever talk here really...I keep everything to myself but here strangley.

Happily I now have a list of tales that will only seem like fiction that I can fall back on telling on rainy days like today.

I hope some of you enjoy these yarns and to those who shake their heads and resent my prescence remember part of the reason I write my stuff is to remind folk that there are people in the world like me and there is a world outside the one you perhaps regard as the norm...and most of all be careful who you judge or underestimate.

Don't forget to vote..I am voting for no more rain.

Alex
Old 21-05-2022, 12:10 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

You should write a book and/or do a podcast telling your stories…I suspect that you would gather quite a following…
Old 21-05-2022, 01:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
You should write a book and/or do a podcast telling your stories…I suspect that you would gather quite a following…
How are you going Scott I hope you and yours are doing well.

I thought about writing a book but saw one in a shop for only ten bucks so thought damn it..I will just buy one.

Most all jokes are stolen and that one certainly is.. but says it all really..do we need another self indulgent book..ex cricketers, football players etc..honestly I hope they do it only for the money but I suspect they think someone cares...I know a cook book..everyone these days writes a cook book...I know "How to cook humans" ..that's the publicity taken care of right there...

I think my time it far too precious to put myself in a position where I need to be doing things for other people...I write here only because I think some folk get a chuckle but mainly to have someone to talk to in a sense...and to do something when resting between jobs.

I could build a good site if I wanted to... I can do anything if I want to..that's perhaps is the point because knowing I can do anything I set my mind on I usually realise there is no point I don't have to prove a thing or make money fortunately but I hold off loneliness by coming here cause I don't have a cat.

Been to vote.. had to drive the mower to the front gate and the gjrls picked me up in their new car..I cant get over how luxurious new vehicles are ... I am amazed...but so wonderful to see them happy given if not for their care I am pretty sure I would be dead...well I would no question.

I am going to buy a pair of $70 90 mm binos as I am curious ..they cant be any good can they..well its worth $70 to me to find out ..it will be disappointing if they are half decent.

I got to get some specimens to look at under the microscope as this rain is sending me bats for sure...mmm now that I think of it I noticed some interesting things in a bucket outside as I was leaving ..little structures like cocoons but under water maybe 2 mm ...I bet there is something in there...it is getting tiresome not having a clear sky.

alex