Old 05-06-2021, 10:52 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Well my 2600MC was picked up by Bintel and it’s on the way to ZWO in China for warranty repair
Expected to be returned around 4 to 6 weeks
I don’t have a spare cooled camera so it’s back to my good old reliable Canon 600D for the next month or so
I’ll have to learn BYEOS all over again , not really it’s a beautiful piece of capture software, easy to use and specifically designed for most Canon and some Nikon DSLR’s and I do enjoy using it.
I do hope nobody else has the same issue with their 2600MC , they are simply a fantastic camera ( performance wise )
Old 09-06-2021, 03:08 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I was just advised that my 2600MC is now cleaned, tested and fully operational. It never went to ZWO in China as Bintel are a ZWO authorised dealer and certified repairer
So turn around is 1 week instead of 6 weeks
Happy Chappy
Now just need some clear skies ahead , the weather at the moment is cold and cloudy with some rain on the way
Yuck !
Old 09-06-2021, 06:09 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Great news, particularly if mine happens to develop it. Knowing that it would be a trip back to Bintel not to China would tip the balance to me not cleaning it myself.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:13 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Great news, particularly if mine happens to develop it. Knowing that it would be a trip back to Bintel not to China would tip the balance to me not cleaning it myself.
Thanks Paul,
Camera arrived this morning , so I’m bench testing it indoors ( raining and 10c outside ) running 40 x 5 min subs with cap on at -15C , darks look ok so far , as expected no amp glow , just one or two rouge pixels per frame then I’ll check the sensor after the session , hopefully nice and clear
I’m sure Bintel has done a thorough job but Ive always tested my gear indoors ( regardless of repair work ) as it’s difficult and time waisting outside in the dark during an imaging session if a problem arises
Cheers
Martin
Old 30-07-2021, 05:35 PM
AdamJL

Looks like I'll be joining you on this one, Martin!!

Fired up the camera tonight and sure enough, I've got oil streaks on the sensor.

Right in the middle of Sydney lockdown, too. Drat.

I bought mine from Testar, so will drop Adriano a note tonight to see what he can do. I'd rather not clean this if there's a better solution.
Old 30-07-2021, 06:10 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Looks like I'll be joining you on this one, Martin!!

Fired up the camera tonight and sure enough, I've got oil streaks on the sensor.

Right in the middle of Sydney lockdown, too. Drat.

I bought mine from Testar, so will drop Adriano a note tonight to see what he can do. I'd rather not clean this if there's a better solution.
Adam,
Sorry to hear but the good news is it can be cleaned and no further problems. I’ve been using mine post rectified for about 6 weeks and running perfect
I sent mine back to Bintel and John or Don cleaned it up so my turn around was only a week
Don’t know if Testar have the expertise or are authorised by ZWO to do it , if not , then it’s back to China and 6 week turn around
After I received mine back , it did have 2 tiny dust spots in the right hand corner so I bought a packet of full frame DSLR swabs from the Camera Warehouse and cleaned the sensor and protective window.All clean not one spec anywhere now , they do a great job as recommended by Glen
Hope yours gets rectified ASAP
Martin
Old 30-07-2021, 06:41 PM
AdamJL

thanks Martin!

Interesting you bought Full Frame swabs and they worked. I used to clean my DSLR sensors all the time. I had Full Frame, APS-C and APS-H sensors, and each one required a different swab.
I think it was because the sensor sat lower than the housing it was in, so there was a risk in rubbing the edge of the housing and bringing in more dirt. I'm guessing these sensors sit proud of their surrounds so Full Frame swaps are okay on our cameras (APS-C sensor)?
Old 30-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
thanks Martin!

Interesting you bought Full Frame swabs and they worked. I used to clean my DSLR sensors all the time. I had Full Frame, APS-C and APS-H sensors, and each one required a different swab.
I think it was because the sensor sat lower than the housing it was in, so there was a risk in rubbing the edge of the housing and bringing in more dirt. I'm guessing these sensors sit proud of their surrounds so Full Frame swaps are okay on our cameras (APS-C sensor)?
I bought both APS-C and Full frame and the APS-C were not wide enough to cover the entire sensor in one swipe across , the full frame overhang by 2 mm but as you said the sensor on these 2600MC sits proud of the thermal pad and PCB so it’s safe to use them
There are still folk on CN having the same issues with their 2600MC. Obviously by the time folk started sending their cameras back to suppliers and ZWO for inspection and cleaning, there were probably thousands of these cameras sold around the world already with the issue.Someone was obviously a bit too heavy handed with the Silicon grease under the thermal pad on the assembly line.
Cheers
Martin