Old 08-06-2020, 08:02 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
No fifty for me. But I am having trouble deciding what scope to get..this all came about because I wanted a 16 inch which I have decided against...I cantfind anything out there to give any idea how good or bad they are..I ,today at least, am back to a 10 inch with the flash carbon fiber rods ..heck carbon fiber it must be good... or the more expensive 150 Espirit...but I will just do what I want to do to this new building...cement around the legs and pier foundations as I said...and I was just thinking now it really needs it's own power set up...I have some neat flooring to go in..maybe some lining, and I need to give thought to motorising the roof...mmm yes I better think about how to do that..take my mind off astronomy for a while.
Alex
Hi Alex, I grabbed myself a Williams optics flt-132 which I’m really happy with. They’re reasonable priced and I think they are very undervalued for what they can do and the quality its of the build.
I was thinking Tak originally however haven’t looked back since grabbing the flt132 and now wouldn’t get rid of it for any upgrade.
One to put in the mix for you I think.
Check out any of my images from the last years or two and you can see what it can do in a beginners hands.

.....also it’s light enough for an eq6 which is a bonus.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Hi Alex, I grabbed myself a Williams optics flt-132 which I’m really happy with. They’re reasonable priced and I think they are very undervalued for what they can do and the quality its of the build.
I was thinking Tak originally however haven’t looked back since grabbing the flt132 and now wouldn’t get rid of it for any upgrade.
One to put in the mix for you I think.
Check out any of my images from the last years or two and you can see what it can do in a beginners hands.

.....also it’s light enough for an eq6 which is a bonus.
you certainly do great images..thanks for your input. I change my mind daily..
alex
Old 08-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Derek Klepp

Glad it went to a good home.Look forward to your progress snaps Alex.
Derek .
Old 09-06-2020, 05:47 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
Glad it went to a good home.Look forward to your progress snaps Alex.
Derek .
Hi Derek..did you buy the scope perchance?

Alex
Old 10-06-2020, 06:38 AM
Derek Klepp

No Alex unfortunately I have to many scopes but it did cross my mind.The end result looks good.
Derek
Old 10-06-2020, 11:42 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
No Alex unfortunately I have to many scopes but it did cross my mind.The end result looks good.
Derek
You can never have too many scopes.

So I now have 6 star pickets, another four bags of concrete, a driver thingy to drive in the star pickets and a block splitter of my own rather than borrow from the girls at the main house where they live..not me.
I picked up another solar panel like the little one for the double observatory, lots of 12 volt wire and hope to use the batteries I replaced in the van for something..they don't hold much it seems but if nothing else they can do the lighting as I have three neat led strips that can in the van that will be happy running off that set up...but I suspect another lot like the ones I got for the van will be needed for the new observatory when I set up a desk top in there...but no work today I feel crook from all the running around yesterday...that is a pity as it is raining on and off and I could burnt off some stuff but I just can't do it.

Getting the rocks will be a huge job for me, I have a good supply all piled up near the house but I will need at least a ton, maybe two, so that could be four trips, load unload place in position add concrete. It's like getting a house at lock up stage or the hull and deck of a boat and you think there's a few things to add but it is near done..it's not.
So been laying down waiting for me to be able to move and with the hints of Sun recharge the batteries...The genny key start won't work, and it's not it's battery, and I just can't pull start it today..other days yes...I just want to make a cuppa but it is too much effort..lucky had a long life milk handy so I can keep hydrated...

And I have piled up grass clippings and lots of ash and some top soil for a little garden which will give me an interest.

Alex
Old 10-06-2020, 12:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Enjoying your reading your progress
It’s important to take regular mini breaks and rest , you will find it allows you to keep going and achieve little milestones bit by bit
All the best
Martin
Old 10-06-2020, 01:22 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, can I suggest you hire a labourer or two to do the heavy work for you, even better if they have a Bobcat to move the rocks up to the side of the building. It should not take very long and I am sure there would be some local guys that could use a bit of work.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My neighbour called by and tested the new panel knowing they have a particular problem and I have to take it back to Lismore tomorrow..but on Friday he is going to sort out the 12 volt system in the van so I can use the light..flash eh.
I am feeling better just pulled up about 30 minutes before he arrived so was able to get around.
The cement will have to stay in the car for now I think.
My neighbour is a member here..so that makes it 5 members that I have seen in person.
I am so happy given it has only been a year working on all this...I could have copped out but it is amazing g what you can get done just chipping away..next ..bring down the rain water tank so I have my own supply here.
Thanks for the interest guys and believe me I appreciate the feed back, support and advice.
Alex
Old 10-06-2020, 02:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex, can I suggest you hire a labourer or two to do the heavy work for you, even better if they have a Bobcat to move the rocks up to the side of the building. It should not take very long and I am sure there would be some local guys that could use a bit of work.
You are right but feeling better it is not a problem...I have a "farm" vehicle, xtrail, and a trailer and will try to get my daughter to help...I just was looking forward to driving in those star pickets today and setting up the panel and batteries and watching those Startool videos on the desk top..can't see much on my phone..and doing a reprocess and finishing off the garden and doing a burn...it can all wait...

Alex
Old 10-06-2020, 02:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
Enjoying your reading your progress
It’s important to take regular mini breaks and rest , you will find it allows you to keep going and achieve little milestones bit by bit
All the best
Martin
I usually do that..I get 10 minutes and rest for an hour but it is surprising how I get things done that way..yesterday was a draining day..a big food shop, bunnings, jay car and personally booked my car in for service..plus had an unbelievable stuff around with my car insurance..but got everything done..and because my legs were on fire drank half a bottle of scotch just to get a break..maybe I had a hangover..surely not it was only half a bottle...but it is so good just to have them stop..they are still on fire but after my break last night I can tolerate them...I am later setting up ramps so I can use my wheel chair more around here..I don't need one really but the legs don't burn as much if I am sitting down..I know slack.

Alex
Old 02-07-2020, 10:20 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Retrospectively added pads for the piers using rock and cement a half a days work that only took me a week.
The excavator guy is to come on the weekend to quote for removing the stumps and creating a little park for friends who may want to camp.
Slow but it's getting there.
Alex
Old 02-07-2020, 10:29 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Retrospectively added pads for the piers using rock and cement a half a days work that only took me a week.
The excavator guy is to come on the weekend to quote for removing the stumps and creating a little park for friends who may want to camp.
Slow but it's getting there.
Alex
Sounds great Alex. What is the next step? A shower block, camp kitchen? Who needs Astrofest.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes I will put in shower toilet facilities...one shower one toilet.

Purchased a 4wd winch to motorise the roll off roof and pulled the trigger on the 16 inch and eq8 today, seems both units are available so going to Sydney tomorrow or next day...and work out if the stuff can fit in the car, pay the bill etc. Could not buy the motor lift winch today but they should have one by my return...if not I will have to make something as I can't lift a 16inch onto the mount safely ...I got some stuff laying around that I could make a lifting device but that is time...
The excavator guy came as he promised and he will do the clearing in three weeks and may be put in a fish pond if the clearing gets done faster than we have allowed for in the quote.
I will feel a little safer next bushfire that's for sure.
Alex
Old 06-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Just read your last post
The 16” is a scope beginners like me dream about , good on you for making that decision. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed and can’t wait to see what this big beast can image
When you eventually get it set up send through some photos so we can drool
Martin
Old 06-07-2020, 05:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My expectation is that I won't be able to use it and it will be in the classifieds at a good discount which will be my fine for stupidity...but I need to have a go else I will always wonder.
Alex
Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
I’m sure you will get it up and running there’s plenty of folk out there to provide advice , guidance and help ( that’s why we joined this forum in the first place )
Martin
Old 06-07-2020, 08:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Everything from guitars to bikes to cars have a sweet spot and I will find it and use it somehow.
I am thinking to run it visual first up..my last three scopes I have never looked thru..
Just been thinking of the work not the pay off... my expectations are really low so the only way is up hopefully.
Then some photos unguided then a focuser at half the price of the scope and oag I guess...not sure about which camera yet.
I still have to bring in two ton of rock for a pier, desks, bed, kitchenette...but I find these projects force me to stay alive.
Then a Caterham and a winch to get in it...after that I will settle down and start another family.
Alex
Old 15-07-2020, 08:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I purchased a cheap 4wd winch to use to motorise the roll off roof but I can not as yet work out how to run cables and I am thinking to get a second one..a motor for each side, overkill power wise but takes worrying about cables out of things.
Changed my mind again re scope...the FL on the 16 inch worries me greatly so today I am thinking 12 inch which with a focal reducer should be much less of a worry. But I think a 12 inch on an eq8 should be ok.. what I am trying to get my head around is if it works ok one should get another focuser which is almost the price of the scope It's getting out of hand really..but I think my current camera may be ok...anyways it's all so close to completion I need to start thinking about the next project.
The good news is, although it may be my imagination, is my legs seem a little better...the other day I was able to reach my feet and put on boots with laces so maybe the work is helping me get a little better..but I still plan to put in ramps for the van and the observatory for my wheelchair as I expect I will need such luxury...mmm maybe another two winch motors so I can use one to drag the wheelchair up the ramp.actually another for the winch to lower me into the Caterham sports car..they seem to have doubled in price since I thought of buying one..I am getting so slack these days but the ramps and motorised stuff is past a luxury thing...almost a necessity...so why not.
Alex
Old 15-07-2020, 09:43 AM
glend (Glen)

Alex, what sort of track system does your roll off roof have? I am sure that collectively the other observatory builders here can provide some advice on motor drive solutions.