Old 15-12-2005, 05:42 PM
avandonk
avandonk

20Da Vs modded 5D

I was checking the features of both of these and found out that the 20Da 'focus feature' on the LCD screen does not work with any Canon all electronic lens, such as my 300mm.See

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20da/...g/index02.html

I am now seriously considering a modded 5D from Hutech as it is about $5K Aus + $500 GST + $49 handling fee as opposed to a 20Da about $3K+ Aus. The other advantage of the 5D it has less than half the noise and a sensor with 2.5 times the area.
The only advantage the 20Da had was that focus feature.
Can anyone shed some light on this (no pun intended). I know Striker has one, so please let me know.

Bert
Old 15-12-2005, 06:09 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

RocketBoy also has a 20Da now, though I think he's only used it a couple of times, and I don't know if he has any of the lenses you're referring to.

Is the 5D a full size sensor?
Old 15-12-2005, 06:18 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Yes Mike,The 5D has a full sized sensor 35.8X23.9 mm,12.8 MP and has less than half the noise of a 20D for long exposures at high ISO.
A modified version would be awesome and I am very seriously going to order one from Hutech.

Bert
Old 15-12-2005, 06:19 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

i heard one of them was coming out with a full size sensor!
Old 15-12-2005, 06:32 PM
astroboy

Hi Bert

Yes the live focus seams to be for telescopes , I've seen people just use the auto focus and point at a bright star or Venus etc with the AF lenses ( 200 F2.8 and 600 F4 ) at times this seemed to be more of a hassle than using software though.
Do have my eye on the 5D seams ideal for lenses and refractors but most other scopes can't cover anything bigger than the 20Da anyway.
Old 15-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Whats electronic manual focus on the 300mm L series....

It say's older electronic Manual L series lenses.

But even though I think the live focus is fantastic I would not buy it over the 5D for this reason.......the 5D looks to be an awesome camera ...go for the 5D Bert.
Old 15-12-2005, 06:42 PM
CometGuy

The Hutech 5D would be my pick as well. 1) the 20Da still blocks an appreciable amount in the red 2) The 5D pixels are larger giving some extra sensitivity. It will also be a fantastic match for the 300mm f2.8 lens

You should factor in a front mount compensation filter so you restore near full daylight functionality and get the best of both worlds!

Terry
Old 15-12-2005, 07:19 PM
avandonk
avandonk

The focus ring on the 300mm F2.8L spins uselessly without the lens attached to a live camera ie on. I am sure this is to stop any damage to the mechanism. The aperture can be set by attaching the lens to a camera, setting the aperture and then remove the lens while the camera is still on.This works for lenses where focus is manual.

OK looks like the 5D mod from Hutech is the way to go.
Now the only choice is UV IR block filter or clear.
I think the UV IR block is the way to go as I have no need for IR photography. There is more IR from local terrestial sources than from the sky.

Bert
Old 15-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Go for it Bert,

I love my 20DA but this will even be better.

I think you should sell your 300mm cheap on the side to partly pay for your 5D....hehehe
Old 15-12-2005, 07:30 PM
astroboy

Hi Bert

I agree with getting the UV IR blocker I found with my modded 300D that I had problems with most things I imaged through not focusing the IR which is ok with a refractor you just put a filter ahead of the camera but with your lenses could be a bit difficult.
Looking forward to seeing your images with the 5D
Old 15-12-2005, 07:44 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
Go for it Bert,

I love my 20DA but this will even be better.

I think you should sell your 300mm cheap on the side to partly pay for your 5D....hehehe
That would be like selling the horse to buy a cart!

The 300mm F2.8L would easily be worth more than a 5D even modded.

I would like to see what your 20Da could do with the 300mm F2.8 Fluorite.It is almost as good as the 300mm F2.8L. Just a very slight CA around only the very bright stars at the outer parts of the frame that is only noticeable when the pixels are very noticeable.
I have to get a universal adapter made so the lens fit any T-mount. At the moment only works with canon EOS mount.

Bert

Last edited by avandonk; 15-12-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 15-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Dam Bert...I was trying to catch you off guard.

Do you drink Bert....if so how much does it take until your completely blind and unable to make sensible decissions.
Old 15-12-2005, 08:59 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
Dam Bert...I was trying to catch you off guard.

Do you drink Bert....if so how much does it take until your completely blind and unable to make sensible decissions.
Yes I do drink it is another of my many faults. I always make sensible decisions,
when choosing between F2.8 or F4 always go for F2.8 cheap at five times the price!

I am fair dinkum about the availability of the new (old) Canon 300mm F2.8 Fluorite for loan to IIS members. If they can manage a telescope and astrophotography, then they can manage a 300mm lens. Without trust we have nothing!

I also would really like to see how a cooled CCD goes on this lens. I know astroboy has one.

It was only less than one year ago I bought the Canon 20D for photography and maybe a bit of astro. It has turned out to be the other way around,astrophotography with a bit of photography. The performance of these cameras is nothing short of astonishing.

It has opened up a new awakening in a very old interest.
You have to get up very early to catch an old fox.

Bert
Old 15-12-2005, 09:03 PM
RB (Andrew)

I love the live focus feature on the 20Da, even though it's not as sensitive as a mod 20D.
Might send my 20Da in to get it modified.....
Old 15-12-2005, 09:06 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Boy
I love the live focus feature on the 20Da, even though it's not as sensitive as a mod 20D.
Might send my 20Da in to get it modified.....
What is the difference in sensitivity at H alpha? I thought they would be the same, that is 2.5 times better than a standard 20D.

Bert
Old 15-12-2005, 09:13 PM
RB (Andrew)

I think a mod 20D is even more sensitive Bert, but I'm not too sure.
I read the article in AS&T and they compared the three cameras, 20D, 20Da and a Mod 20D.
Because the Mod 20D had it's filter taken out it was more sensitive to Ha but was not suitable for daytime shots without special filters on the lens.

The 20Da is ok for daytime but I've not tried it yet. I'll post some ASAP.

That's as much as I know.
Old 15-12-2005, 09:19 PM
westsky

Hi Bert, Hutech claim 5% more sensitivitey than the 20da for there modded cameras.( I think thats with there Type 1 filter in place)
I,m not sure anybody would really notice the difference though as it's not that great
I will be able to judge when I get the 350d modded by Hutech.

For those using the LCD screen to focus, the consensus in Japan ( remember they had the 20da 6 months before anybody else) is not to use the LCD screen, they say it adds more noise as it tends to heat up the chip. My Japanese friend who brought his 20da over here did not use the LCD to focus.
Since getting the 350D I have not had any problem using the view finder to get focus
Then I check with a 10sec exposure so far I haven't had to make any focusing adjustments to take a shot.

cheers
David.
Old 15-12-2005, 09:34 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Thanks westsky and Rocket Boy that puts the final nail into the coffin to the 20Da.
As focussing is the really difficult and annoying part, I thought this would solve it. It does not.
The 5D it is then with UV and IR block multi coated filter and a front Astro/daylight Filter.

I had a snooze this afternoon and had a dream (or nightmare) of having two cameras going at once! Both pointed in different diections.Lets not even go there.

Bert
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=500><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD width=10> </TD><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 15-12-2005, 09:41 PM
CometGuy

The figures I have seen the Canons (10D/300D/350D/20D etc) allow only 20-25% H-Alpha through. The 20Da allows nearly 70% through and a Hutech moded camera close to 100%. So the improvement is 40% in H-Alpha from a 20Da to a hutech 20D.

Bert, yeah the sensitivity of these cameras is suprisingly good. Have you seen these H-Alpha shots with a modded 20D that were just posted on Digital_Astro?

http://tinyurl.com/bujmr

Now whats this about you loaning your 300 2.8 ?

Terry
Old 15-12-2005, 09:49 PM
h0ughy (David)

well since your so disappointed with your 20Da Tony give it to me and forget your worries!

I don't understand why you couldn't use the lenses