Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 AM
John Hothersall

Immigrant from UK - CCD's advice.

Hello guys down under, me and my family will be emmigrating from UK to Brisbane this summer and I use an ATK-16HR with 14" Newt on EQ6 for long fl HiRes imaging. I really don't know who your best equipment suppliers/astro dealers are apart from Bintel/York Optical and Andrews - can they get anything on request?

Was thinking of upgrading my 18 month old ATK CCD to a QHY9 (not yet available in UK) or a more expensive ST10 ME with guide chip, in UK ST10's are expensive at 10,000 AUD. Most astro accessories similar Aus/UK price.

I noticed C14 were 20% cheaper in Aus than UK! What sort of price for the ST10 in Aus and where to purchase one?

Thanks JohnH.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hothersall View Post
Hello guys down under, me and my family will be emmigrating from UK to Brisbane this summer and I use an ATK-16HR with 14" Newt on EQ6 for long fl HiRes imaging. I really don't know who your best equipment suppliers/astro dealers are apart from Bintel/York Optical and Andrews - can they get anything on request?

Was thinking of upgrading my 18 month old ATK CCD to a QHY9 (not yet available in UK) or a more expensive ST10 ME with guide chip, in UK ST10's are expensive at 10,000 AUD. Most astro accessories similar Aus/UK price.

I noticed C14 were 20% cheaper in Aus than UK! What sort of price for the ST10 in Aus and where to purchase one?

Thanks JohnH.
Take a look at the SBIG website. They have a link to the international dealers. AFAIK there is only 1 dealer for SBIG cameras in Australia.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi John

The sole SBIG Dealer in Australia is ATS and they write on their website:

"Please call or e-mail us, or see SBIG's home page for more information about other SBIG camera models. Our $A prices are approximately SBIG's $US list converted to $A plus 15% to cover GST and shipping".

Given the above, from the SBIG US website:
  • The ST10 is listed at US $5995
  • The current exchange rate is approx Au $0.64.
  • This gives approx Au $9350
  • Add 15% which is approx Au $1400
  • Giving an approximate total of Au $10750
At the time of writing, OPT (in the US) have the SBIG ST10XME listed at US $4995.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
John Hothersall

Thanks guys, looks like the current exchange rate movements are affecting prices markedly at the moment.

It is interesting how prices do vary around the world particularly for more expensive hardware.

Anyway I shall watch developments carefully, thanks JohnH.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Here's the site for the QHY camera dealers in Oz... Gama Electronics

It's owned by one of the members here, Gama (Theo). Nice guy, very helpful. The price for the QHY9 in Oz is $3600 + shipping.