Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-04-2021, 04:12 PM
andyc (Andy)

Eta Carina & Keyhole with C14

Hi all, here's my first deep sky image in a long time, since planetary imaging took over my astro life. It is first light after setting up the C14 properly for deep-sky imaging - hadn't got guiding going at all before Sunday. I tweaked the worm gears and removed some backlash, co-opted my old planetary camera (ASI185MC) to be a guider, positioned the OAG correctly, and got camera, filterwheel and focuser all talking to NINA, and PhD2 talking to mount and guider. All helped loads by the acquisition of one of Peter's (Exfso) lightboxes. It has worked a treat!

This is 36mins Ha, with colour from 7mins each of R,G & B (and I mucked up focus on the blue too, recovered a bit in postprocessing). The final image is pretty sharp across, and I'm especially happy with the detail in the even a newborn star jet near the upper left, and a couple of evaporating gas globules (EGGs) above middle (and in the full res crop). Bias and flats corrected - it's turned out not too bad for a "test" shot

Scope is the C14 with the f/7 reducer/corrector on CGX-L, Atik 460EX CCD, ZWO RGB filters, Astronomik 12nm Ha filter.

Full resolution is much better here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nhk6Z8D3FcysuX836
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (etaCarHaRGB_ac2iis.jpg)
192.7 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (etaCarHaRGB_ac2_cropiis.jpg)
138.2 KB55 views
Old 22-04-2021, 04:16 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Not bad... that's amazing...look at that detail!!! For 36min Ha and a few min RGB??? What a difference 14 inches makes :-)
Old 22-04-2021, 04:20 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's awesome. Well done.
You should try the bok globules in the chook.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:03 AM
andyc (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's awesome. Well done.
You should try the bok globules in the chook.
Thanks Marc! Yes, that would be quite a good target for this set-up. Trouble is, with basically a new set-up and no evening planets just now, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop wondering which target to spend some time on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
Not bad... that's amazing...look at that detail!!! For 36min Ha and a few min RGB??? What a difference 14 inches makes :-)
Thanks Robert - I was pretty pleased with how it came out, especially the star sizes on the Ha (I think all but one sub measured <2.3" FWHM for 4min exposures, best was 1.8"). I'll put a good bit of that down to nice seeing, apart from the guiding, focus, collimation etc. Would suite my lazy self if I needed less than an hour on every object, but I doubt that will be the case!

Last edited by andyc; 23-04-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 23-04-2021, 10:08 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
Thanks Marc! Yes, that would be quite a good target for this set-up. Trouble is, with basically a new set-up and no evening planets just now, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop wondering which target to spend some time on!
Bright small stuff. There's a number of planetary nebulae around your fov would be good for.