Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 09-07-2015, 08:48 AM
adaregazer (Graham)

Saxon EQ5 GoTo - Altitude adjustment issue

I have a problem with altitude adjustment on the above mount. I find I could not lower the altitude adjustment enough to achieve accurate polar alignment. The South T - Bolt housing is stopping the altitude adjustment going below 28 deg. This means the scope cannot achieve proper polar alignment for my location (27.5 deg). I have contacted the shop who are making inquiries with Saxon (AU). He seems to think other EQ5 goto owners have had the same issue. A workaround is to remove the front T - bolt and housing (two small bolts) as the rear bolt does all the work and the front one locks the altitude setting. As the scope is two months old I am reluctant to work on the housing with a grinder (as suggested) as this could affect any warranty claims down the track. I am interested to find out if anyone else has had this issue and how it was sorted out. If I lived in Cairns (16.92 Deg Lat) then it would be impossible to set the altitude without removing the south T-Bolt assembly. To me this is inherently wrong for the manufacturer to sell scopes that are defective in this way. Any comments please? Should I insist on a repair/replacement?
Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Had a Takahashi mount with a similar issue, and my latitude is -26.6. There was a simple enough work around.

I think the issue with the EQ5 GOTO is the large plastic RA motor cover/housing. Remove the cover and try it. It SHOULD now be able to lower to the correct latitude. You will then need a replacement cover - maybe make one. OR leave it off as some do, but secure the in and out cables appropriately.

I would NOT set to remove any metal from the mounts base - definitely would not remove the locking T-bolt - it might not be VITAL, but it is there for a reason. The Vixen GP's that the Chinese copied (back engineered) to make the EQ5's originally did NOT hve the front locking bolt. In the revisions (I think the GPDX, but DEFINITELY the GPD2), they added the front bolt. With a heavy load, it would be a wise idea, JUST in case.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 AM
adaregazer (Graham)

EQ5 adjustment sorted

Thanks for the reply! Saxon advises to take the front t bolt off when using the scope in the southern hemisphere. I didn't like that idea so I trimmed about 1mm off the corner of the t bolt housing with a grinder. I am now able to achieve 27.5 Deg in altitude. I still find it slightly bemusing that Saxon would not make a simple improvement at the factory to allow full movement of the altitude axis! Still it was easy to fix and I have no other issues.