Old 04-04-2020, 04:02 PM
Harpage (Danh)

Bintel 6” F/5 OTA

Hi everyone,

Has anyone used this scope before for astrophotography, or any other GSO variant? I have a couple questions...
  1. Is prime focus with a standard DSLR possible?
  2. Is the secondary mirror of 45mm enough to fully illuminate an APS-C sensor?
  3. Is it possible to get this with a dual speed focuser, or will a stepper motor do just fine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve used a Bintel 6”f6 newt for 4 years and a Bintel 8” f5 newt for 2 years both for Astrophotography with my Canon DSLR 600D (APS-C sensor)
My 6” f6 scope only came with a single speed focuser which is not ideal for Astrophotography so I had Bintel ( Don ) replace it with a dual speed crayford focuser.Also I moved my primary mirror forward into the scope by 4mm using cork spacers from Bunnings which gave me additional travel in my focuser for focusing.The focuser did just reach focus but I wanted a bit more travel so the spacers did the trick. Only recently I replaced the primary mirror springs with new heavy duty springs purchased locally which made collimation a breeze. The 8” f5 scope came with a dual speed focuser with plenty of in focus travel
6 months ago I fitted JMI motofocusers to both scopes,so now I have remote 3 speed focus control, very nice.
I do both planetary and DSO imaging with both scopes, the 6” f6 is located in Sydney ( Bortle 8 skies ) and the 8” f5 is located at my weekender south coast NSW ( Bortle 3 skies )
Photos of both rigs attached
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (13E746A9-E149-4B30-85C6-F7EB5CC87626.jpeg)
136.1 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (5A7A2FDC-193F-4B01-A8C6-2BF895A8E16B.jpeg)
131.5 KB44 views
Old 05-04-2020, 08:16 AM
Harpage (Danh)

Hi Martin, how much extra did the dual speed upgrade cost? Was the field fully illuminated on your APS-C sensor?
Old 05-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Startrek (Martin)

My Bintel 6” f6 is nearly 4 years old now , I think the dual speed focuser cost me around $120 but could be a bit more now ( if your doing AP it’s a must and a small investment ) The scope is the cheapest item in your rig , accessories are expensive in comparison. My 6” f6 rig fully set up cost me around $1800 and my latest rig the 8” f5 rig cost me around $2,200 . Newts are the cheapest way to go plus I don’t do wide field , my Canon 600D APS-C covers most objects in the night sky ( with exception of huge nebulas like Running chicken and Carina etc ..., I can frame about 65% of these )
Lagoon Nebula fully framed
Orion Nebula fully framed
M17 fully framed
M16 fully framed
Tarantula Nebula about 70% framed
Rosette Nebula fully framed
All globs fully framed
All galaxies fully framed
And the list goes on ....
My 6” had a focal length of 900mm and the 8” has a focal length of 1000mm
I think a 6” f5 has a focal length of 750mm so you have a bit more field than me
Cheers