Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-07-2022, 11:37 AM
Saturn488

35mm Film Camera

I have my dads old Nikon 35mm film camera I would like to try and use with my widefield refractor.

I have the correct T ring and M42-M48 adapter to attach to my field flat in my refractor. I will be using a mechanical release shutter cable as well.

Wanted to ask if anyone has any experience using 35mm film with a telescope? Does the 55mm back focus still apply?
Old 26-07-2022, 12:35 PM
astro744

The telescope is effectively a long focal length lens. I have only ever used a T2 adapter and T-ring with no spacers for prime focus. The focal/film plane is indicated on the camera (circle with line through it).

Your only issue may be if the focuser has enough inward travel to allow the film plane to match the focal plane of the telescope at prime focus. If not you can try pushing the mirror forward by adjusting the collimation bolts. If still no then you need a low profile focuser or one that has two upper bodies, one for visual (removeable) and one for photo (replaces visual). I have one of these from 35+ years ago, I think Tectron brand.

To avoid image shake use a black cloth at the front of the aperture then use cable release to start exposure then slowly uncover the aperture trying not to bump the telescope. Activating the shutter can cause vibration during mirror flip and you want to avoid this. Cover the telescope then release the shutter at the end of the exposure.
Old 26-07-2022, 12:56 PM
Saturn488

Good advice, thank you.

Any recommended colour and black/white negative film?
Old 26-07-2022, 01:00 PM
bojan
amateur

You may find this right-angle viewer useful for focusing.. I made it for Canon, but the same principle applies for Nikon cameras.
Another view is here. Basically, it is a monocular scope (made from old binos), with mirror mounted after objective lens.

Also, have a look at this viewfinder, I made it for my Praktica VLC2, essentially microscope, magnification ~10x. Objective lens is from old 8 mm camera, eyepiece is from old binocular.
The whole thing clicks in the camera instead or standard removable finder.

You will need some sort of tracking for stars.. because you will need exposure times well into minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (viewfinder_1.jpg)
76.7 KB135 views

Last edited by bojan; 26-07-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 26-07-2022, 07:50 PM
astro744

The film of choice 30+ years ago was Kodak Technical Pan TP-2415, either hypersensitised for deep sky or not for planets. It was a very fine grain B&W film with good contrast. (Discontinued). Not sure about current day choices. Perhaps ask on a more specific film astrophotography forum which you can find with your preferred search engine.

Try any modern 400, 800 or 1600 film in colour or B&W and see what you like best. B&W is easy to develop at home but you need the equipment and a dark room. I used to buy my film hypered locally. Lumicon used to sell a hypering kit but you had to buy refill gas bottle or get it filled locally if a supplier was willing. It’s hydrogen gas with a bit of nitrogen to make it safer I believe.

See https://www.astropix.com/html/astrop.../hypering.html for some info. I found it easier to just buy hypered film and it was shipped in a dry ice package to keep it cool so it wouldn’t lose its effectiveness.
Old 26-07-2022, 08:13 PM
Saturn488

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
You may find this right-angle viewer useful for focusing.. I made it for Canon, but the same principle applies for Nikon cameras.
Another view is here. Basically, it is a monocular scope (made from old binos), with mirror mounted after objective lens.

Also, have a look at this viewfinder, I made it for my Praktica VLC2, essentially microscope, magnification ~10x. Objective lens is from old 8 mm camera, eyepiece is from old binocular.
The whole thing clicks in the camera instead or standard removable finder.

You will need some sort of tracking for stars.. because you will need exposure times well into minutes.
Great bit of kit that would make the job a lot easier!
Old 26-07-2022, 08:14 PM
Saturn488

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
The film of choice 30+ years ago was Kodak Technical Pan TP-2415, either hypersensitised for deep sky or not for planets. It was a very fine grain B&W film with good contrast. (Discontinued). Not sure about current day choices. Perhaps ask on a more specific film astrophotography forum which you can find with your preferred search engine.

Try any modern 400, 800 or 1600 film in colour or B&W and see what you like best. B&W is easy to develop at home but you need the equipment and a dark room. I used to buy my film hypered locally. Lumicon used to sell a hypering kit but you had to buy refill gas bottle or get it filled locally if a supplier was willing. It’s hydrogen gas with a bit of nitrogen to make it safer I believe.

See https://www.astropix.com/html/astrop.../hypering.html for some info. I found it easier to just buy hypered film and it was shipped in a dry ice package to keep it cool so it wouldn’t lose its effectiveness.
Yeah it's hard finding the correct film as a lot of the recommended ones are discontinued. I might give B/W a crack as I have my own dark room to develop.
Old 27-07-2022, 04:28 AM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn488 View Post
Yeah it's hard finding the correct film as a lot of the recommended ones are discontinued. I might give B/W a crack as I have my own dark room to develop.
I had a look at Ilford, See https://www.ilfordphoto.com/black-white-film/35mm-film

I would probably try both Delta 3200 and Delta 400 but really anything I could buy locally.

Having a darkroom gives you full control and B&W can be used for planets and DSO. Getting the image does require different equipment and exposure techniques; i.e. prime focus for DSO or eyepiece projection for planets and techniques differ. Piggyback is another option using wide field to telephoto lenses.

You’ve inspired me to get my film camera out although I have long since sold off my darkroom equipment and my favourite camera too, the Nikon FE2 with full manual shutter cable release using no batteries. I now have a Nikon F3 but prefer my old FE2.

There is a film sub-forum over at CN (one of the better forums on that site IMHO) with plenty of input from film users but hopefully you’ll get a bit more input on this site.
Old 27-07-2022, 11:34 AM
SteveInNZ

The 55mm is the spec for the T-mount. The T-mount adapter for your camera will take the spacing from whatever the camera spacing is, to 55mm.

Do you have a Nikon DSLR ? The spacing will be the same for the DSLR and the film SLR so you can focus using the digital camera, lock the focus and swap the bodies over.

For a tracking mount, you want film with the lowest reciprocity failure and at the moment, Fuji rules. Acros, Provia or Superia depending on what you want. For fixed tripod, you want as fast (ISO) as you can get (and tolerate the grain).

Ilford Delta 400 doesn't look too bad and it sees H-alpha (which most b/w films don't very well) but I haven't been able to find any to try. I've been using HP5+.

Orion - 30 minutes on AcrosII. Box Brownie, f/11

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	293548

M42 - 10 minutes on AcrosII. WO 71mm refractor f/5.9

Name:	C1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	293549

Southern Cross region - 30 minutes HP5+. 4x5 Speed Graphic, f/2.9 lens

Name:	X1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	293550
Old 27-07-2022, 05:51 PM
Saturn488

Amazing photos!

I have a Canon DSLR but my 35mm is a Nikon SLR.

Will be using a tracking mount to begin with and my Z61 telescope. I will get focus as you said with my DSLR then swap it out.

I have some Kodak and Fuji colour films I purchased to give a go. In my black and white stock I have HP5+, Delta FP4+ and Delta 3200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
The 55mm is the spec for the T-mount. The T-mount adapter for your camera will take the spacing from whatever the camera spacing is, to 55mm.

Do you have a Nikon DSLR ? The spacing will be the same for the DSLR and the film SLR so you can focus using the digital camera, lock the focus and swap the bodies over.

For a tracking mount, you want film with the lowest reciprocity failure and at the moment, Fuji rules. Acros, Provia or Superia depending on what you want. For fixed tripod, you want as fast (ISO) as you can get (and tolerate the grain).

Ilford Delta 400 doesn't look too bad and it sees H-alpha (which most b/w films don't very well) but I haven't been able to find any to try. I've been using HP5+.

Orion - 30 minutes on AcrosII. Box Brownie, f/11

Attachment 293548

M42 - 10 minutes on AcrosII. WO 71mm refractor f/5.9

Attachment 293549

Southern Cross region - 30 minutes HP5+. 4x5 Speed Graphic, f/2.9 lens

Attachment 293550
Old 27-07-2022, 07:50 PM
SteveInNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn488 View Post
I have a Canon DSLR but my 35mm is a Nikon SLR.Will be using a tracking mount to begin with and my Z61 telescope. I will get focus as you said with my DSLR then swap it out.

That won't work. To swap between the two mount systems, you'll have to change the T-adapter and you can't guarantee the registration distance between adapters. I think you're faced with focusing through the viewfinder, perhaps with a magnifying, right-angle viewfinder.

Steve.