Old 24-06-2021, 10:06 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

ASI533 opinion

Like to hear from owners of the ASI533MC. Seems to be a good match to my Tak FSQ-85 under most conditions.

Not looking for massive images, hence why this one seems to suit, and no amp glow. And yes, staying OSC also suits me perfectly.

Thanks.
Old 24-06-2021, 03:25 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Did you sell the BabyQ in the end?
Old 24-06-2021, 06:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Guess I'll make my own findings and decisions - bought it today from Testar. Plenty in stock (Bintel and Sidereal all out of stock)
Old 24-06-2021, 09:34 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Lewis, I do a lot of window shopping for that sort of thing

It’s pretty competent on paper. The no amp glow thing is probably the most useful property, but the low thermal noise and high QE are probably pretty useful too
Old 25-06-2021, 06:49 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Dunk - it had been a long window shop. Was going to order from ZWO direct, but Testar had plenty of stock (whereas no one else does) and their price was right. I was tossing up between this and the 294, but the rear illuminated chip sold me.

Be interesting if these still come with the free ZWO dual band filter. Bet they don't. Guess I'll get the l-extreme.
Old 25-06-2021, 08:26 AM
RobK (Rob)

Hi lewis,

I purchased a ASI533 late last year and enjoy using it.
I can't give any other camera comparison comments as this is my first dedicated astro camera after using a dslr.

Still coming to grips with operating everything - I'm a slow learner

I did consider a mono camera but was concerned about using filters plus the additional cost.

It didn't come with dual band filters and like you I am considering purchasing a L-extreme.

I attach it to a SW Esprit 80mm on a HEQ5 mount.

cheers
Old 25-06-2021, 08:46 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Dunk - it had been a long window shop. Was going to order from ZWO direct, but Testar had plenty of stock (whereas no one else does) and their price was right. I was tossing up between this and the 294, but the rear illuminated chip sold me.

Be interesting if these still come with the free ZWO dual band filter. Bet they don't. Guess I'll get the l-extreme.

Lewis,

I used the ZWO Duoband with my 2600MC under Bortle 8 Sydney skies with and without the moon for 6 months and was astounded at the detail you can pick up in your images ( trying to pick up the colour spectrum is the only difficult task with OSC MB Imaging ). But it wasn't until I purchased the L Extreme and used it for a while and compared images using the ZWO Duoband that the level of detail was another level up especially under near full moon conditions

I have not seen any negative comments from folk using the L Extreme

By the way I Image at 1000mm focal length with newts

In regard to the 533MC , a great camera , low noise , zero amp glow , low dark current, high QE and nothing but positive comments on CN and numerous You tube clips

These new generation ZWO OSC cooled CMOS cameras with the new Sony backlit sensor are true high performance Astro cameras and the mono versions are obviously even better ,the way of the future.

Martin
Old 25-06-2021, 11:48 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Thanks Martin and Rob. It's a good choice IMHO for my VERY casual imaging. Been 2 years since I last imaged (not counting reprocesses when nothing else to do)
Old 26-06-2021, 09:20 AM
gregbradley

Sounds like a good choice Lewis. High QE, NO AMP GLOW which is a biggie.
Amp glow means you have to use darks.

With this setup you probably won't need flats and darks so it'll speed things up for you.

Greg.
Old 26-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Sounds like a good choice Lewis. High QE, NO AMP GLOW which is a biggie.
Amp glow means you have to use darks.

With this setup you probably won't need flats and darks so it'll speed things up for you.

Greg.
Why, no potential requirement for flats? Depending on the scope there is usually some light drop-off across the field, and there are always the dreaded dust bunnies?

I have a ASI 2600 mc paired with an Esprit 120, I always take darks though I guess this may be only because it's a habit, but definitely need flats.
Old 26-06-2021, 11:58 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Anyone know of a native driver for MaxIM? Or only through ASCOM?

I’ll try NINA anyway but got so used to MaxIM
Old 26-06-2021, 01:22 PM
Craig_

It's a fantastic camera. I've been using it for about a year.

Darks not needed if you dither, files are very very clean, no amp glow. I often don't bother with flats either (moreso out of forgetfulness or laziness) and it's never been an issue. My flats almost never seem to pick up any dust bunnies and when they do I must admit I've not been able to see any issue on uncorrected lights stacks. But YMMV there of course, shooting flats is good practice but for me I often don't even calibrate the lights with them even if I shot them, but I suppose I at least have them if needed.
Old 26-06-2021, 01:31 PM
skiap (Filip)

I've been using it together with SW ED80 and L-Enhance filter, awesome no amp glow camera if you're happy with the small sensor size
Old 26-06-2021, 02:59 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Small sensor no issue for the FSQ85 especially with the reducer - most objects I image will fit. Best thing for me is it is in the green band for me pixel size/resolution/sampling under all configurations and most seeing conditions
Old 26-06-2021, 04:08 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Why, no potential requirement for flats? Depending on the scope there is usually some light drop-off across the field, and there are always the dreaded dust bunnies?

I have a ASI 2600 mc paired with an Esprit 120, I always take darks though I guess this may be only because it's a habit, but definitely need flats.
Not saying you can't do flats just that its likely with the small chip you won't need to.

Dust bunnies are best handled by keeping the sensor window clean. Otherwise yes dust bunnies would need flats.

Greg.
Old 28-06-2021, 09:49 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Well, it arrived this morning - can't praise Testar enough - they sure leave their competition in the dust.

Initial impressions - fantastic. Certainly a step up from the early ZWO's I saw (but never used). QC seems to have skyrocketed.

No dual band filter, but I have ordered an l-extreme. I plugged it all in, fired up MaxIM DL6, selected ASCOM. Did the ASCOM required setup, and it instantly chose ASI533. That instantly liaisedwith MaxIM, and all connected. Not a single issue. Set cooling to -15°, and it over-shot to -16° very fast then settled at -14.8°. Auto dark subtraction in MaxIM for a simple 60 second exposure showed actually pretty clean for such a short sub. Doing a 600 sec revealed an almost 100% black image (with a manual histogram stretch in the bell curve), with ZERO amp glow whatsoever.

Impressed. Might get a chance to do some lucky imaging tonight, unless it goes sub-zero again when my middle aged bones may just say Yeah Nah, later

Last edited by LewisM; 28-06-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old 29-06-2021, 07:29 AM
RobK (Rob)

Old 06-07-2021, 05:59 PM
sebgod (Sebastian)

I also recently got this camera (my first cooled colour camera), and I find it produces great results, though of course I am only quite a beginner

https://nova.astrometry.net/image/11169472