Old 07-04-2019, 08:40 AM
billdan (Bill)

ASI 6200MC Pro and ASI 6200MM Pro

ZWO are also manufacturing a full frame camera based on the Sony IMX455 BSI CMOS sensor.
QHY hasn't announced a price yet, but ZWO are saying their colour version will be $4K and $5K for the Mono version. The prices are revealed in the comments section on their Facebook page.
Delivery times are 3 to 6 months away, waiting on Sony to ramp up their production volumes. ZWO also has to make a 2 inch filter wheel for the mono version.

https://www.facebook.com/ZwoDesignAstronomyCameras

These are the specs of the QHY version so I imagine the ZWO version will be similar.
Pixels: 60mega pixel
Pixel size : 3.76um
ADC: native 16bit
Fullwell: 49ke (196Ke with 2x2 binning) (440Ke with 3x3 binning)
Readout noise about 1 to 2.3 electrons (hi gain / lo gain)
Both monochrome/colour available
On board DDRIII memory : 2GBytes
Interface: USB3.0 + optional Giga Ethernet
Two stage TEC cooling
Electronic Rolling Shutter
Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Can’t say I didn’t see that one coming

I’m sure it will be a great camera, but if Sony don’t tame that amp glow, then a matrix of 4x 1600 will be more appealing

Pricing is about what I’d expect. It was never going to appeal to the causal (entry-level) imager...
Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Can’t say I didn’t see that one coming

I’m sure it will be a great camera, but if Sony don’t tame that amp glow, then a matrix of 4x 1600 will be more appealing

Pricing is about what I’d expect. It was never going to appeal to the causal (entry-level) imager...
Exactly Dunk. A four panel mosaic with a 1600 achieves the same thing, and costs nothing if you have a 1600, as we do. And of course the 1600 is easily calibrated, and the back of the sensor allows even cooling of the substrate, thus no gymnastics with flats for each session, etc
Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Well us 1600 owners can be a bit fanatical

There’s certainly the convenience of the full frame.

And technically, it’s an interesting sensor...will be interesting to see how it works out for astrophotography. Hopefully not another 294...

We’ve never had it so good!
Old 07-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

It's interesting to see so many new options becoming available.

I think it would take a bit more than 2x2 mosaic with a 1600 to cover the same area, since we must allow 15-20% overlap between frames. And if stars are not pinpoint to the corners, then merging frames into a mosaic can result with some artefacts.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Not only that but if you do a 20 hour four panel mosaic you only have 5 hours per panel as opposed to a full 20 hours of depth over the entire frame.
Unlike the ASI1600 it won’t have microlens diffraction issues as Sony AR coat their sensors. It has native 16 bit output as opposed to 12 AND has more than two full stops more of dynamic range which is considerable.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:44 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

As I mentioned in the other thread, if the hardware binning works as advertised, I'd be quite tempted for an upgrade even at that price (which I assume is USD).

Although that would then trigger another round of filters + filter wheel purchases since 36mm will vignette. Could at least start with it and save the pennies for the following round of purchases.
Old 24-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Look like the RN is a bit higher than stated originally - between about 1.5e and 3.5e. Still could be a very nice camera that does it all, i.e. matches with short (un-binned) and long focal lengths (when binned): https://m.facebook.com/ZwoDesignAstr...52&__tn__=EH-R
Old 24-08-2019, 01:39 PM
gregbradley

Well I am going to be the negative one here. Just watched a video review of the new Sony Ariv which uses this sensor. It was a bit disappointing.

Its a fair bit noisier than the A7riii for the same high ISO.

So I don't see any gain over the 42.4mp sensor or even the 36mp sensor unless its for binning and better resolution.

The Proline 16803 is not even 17mp and is nearly medium format size yet its taken some of the best images around.

The Sony 24mp sensor is probably more than enough for astro and it has all the benefits of the larger pixels.

There may be a new type of sensor in the A7Siii when it finally gets released. Not sure if the tech is ready for deployment but its a 32 or 36mp sensor with a broader 8x8 Bayer matrix where some blocks of pixels are read earlier giving a HDR effect.

Perhaps that is the one to get if Sony releases that for sale.

Greg.