Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Converting other stuff ...

By now you've all probably realised I am big on DIY. Much more fun.
I've been looking at options for webcams, photographic systems, etc with an eye to build guide scopes or astrocamera setups.

In TradeMe, our local Auction site there is a wealth of old film cameras offered for a pittance in many cases. Film is DEAD !! and you can pickup quite recent camera parts/bodies that handle modern lenses.

I run a Konica Minolta 7D with some nice glass attached. It is a follow on from the 7000/8000i film version, same lens mount etc. I can pick up any of a number of film bodies, 404si, 5000 etc etc all for about $20 or so.
The advantage is I can rip the insides out mostly, it has a defined focal plane where the film used to be, I can mount a CCD inside at that point and I can them mount the body to the scope and have fully changeable lenses. Sound feasible ?

Got my eye on about 7 or 8 bodies on TradeMe. I don't care whether it works or not, it is just a lightproof shell for the project. Could even mount the NexImage unit to the back.

Another option is to pick up a Canon film body and lens for maybe a bit more. I'm not a Canon fan ( forgive me ) but they do make nice glass, especially their primes.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Poita (Peter)

I have a canon eos body that you can have for postage or a Nikon f90x for $50. Sounds like fun, though I'm not quite sure what you are doing
Old 02-12-2011, 02:50 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Thanks for the offer Peter. But probably cheaper to buy locally than pay postage. The idea (as I see it ) is I can assemble a astrocamera from already available lenses and mountable body and fittings. The only thing I need to do is fit it up with a CCD system and it has a light train that can be altered with interchangeable lenses and takes advantage of some really cheap good glass, I've seen some prime f4 400mm lenses for $10.00 or so because they didn't work on newer cameras. No autofocus, zoom etc and people are lazy. They want auto everything whereas for astro the simpler the better.\
It's all about resources ...
Old 03-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Poita (Peter)

Ah, I see. I think mounting the CCD to the film plate will be a challenge, I actually attempted something similar with a Nikon F90 body a long time ago, and didn't get the results I had hoped for, but it was a fun project.
Where are you scavenging the CCD from?
Also, there are some fantastic pentax manual lenses available for amazingly cheap prices.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:43 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I may start with the NexImage unit. The front tube just unscrews and the CCD is only about 5 mm back. Easy enough to modify the camera to accept the whole thing.
Or just buy a decent webcam and go from there. I have a spare Logitech I can try.
I have Minolta glass so Minolta body is a cheap path to take but I'd probaly go Canon prime if it works well. Pentax did put out some nice stuff though and bodies and lenses are cheap and plentiful. A cheap manual APO prime Tele would be the best find.
As you say, a fun project and a nice challenge especially if it works.