ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2022, 10:21 PM
Averton (P and C)

Missed by "that much" ...

We were watching the images from Learmonth on the GONG site this morning and saw a massive prom erupting on the NE limb. It was still quite cloudy but it seemed worth trying to catch this prom so we set up anyway. We caught a couple of glimpses of the prom live through cloud but had no chance to adjust the scope or image it. By the time there was a break it had completely gone ... amazing! GONG image at 12:16 local time shows the prom at its highest. Our image at 13:24 local time and it is gone.
Close up of the south east limb showing ARs 3045, 3047 and 3048. As they say, better luck next time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220702021612Lh small.jpg)
185.3 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (2022-07-02 full disk small.jpg)
185.3 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (2022-07-02 full disk inv small.jpg)
187.6 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (2022-07-02 full disk inv colourised small.jpg)
192.1 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (2022-07-02 SE region small.jpg)
116.0 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (2022-07-02 SE region inv small.jpg)
119.6 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (2022-07-02 SE region inv colourised.jpg)
221.3 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (2022-07-02 SE region inv colourised small.jpg)
193.7 KB23 views
Old 03-07-2022, 01:13 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Nice try - luck plays an important role. Cheers John W.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:47 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averton View Post
We were watching the images from Learmonth on the GONG site this morning and saw a massive prom erupting on the NE limb. It was still quite cloudy but it seemed worth trying to catch this prom so we set up anyway. We caught a couple of glimpses of the prom live through cloud but had no chance to adjust the scope or image it. By the time there was a break it had completely gone ... amazing! GONG image at 12:16 local time shows the prom at its highest. Our image at 13:24 local time and it is gone.
Close up of the south east limb showing ARs 3045, 3047 and 3048. As they say, better luck next time!
Hi Clare & Peter,

I can see faint traces of it still left in your 13:24 image. Perhaps you could try to increase the exposure in PS and crop in more to the same size as the GONg image. It's there ... hiding

EDIT ... I hope you don't mind, but out of curiosity I took a screen grab of your image and selectively raised the exposure of the proms and surrounds +4EV in photoshop. It's there, but not in all its glory. I'm sure from your original image file you could coax out a better result than the screen grabbed modified version I posted.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Averton Image +4EV.jpg)
165.3 KB21 views

Last edited by JA; 03-07-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:40 PM
Averton (P and C)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
Nice try - luck plays an important role. Cheers John W.

Thanks John. Definitely why they call it lucky imaging
We really can't complain about our weather when you see what NSW & Qld are getting yet again. Hopefully our colleagues up north are managing to stay high and dry. At least we get to see the sun on occasion.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:44 PM
Averton (P and C)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Clare & Peter,

I can see faint traces of it still left in your 13:24 image. Perhaps you could try to increase the exposure in PS and crop in more to the same size as the GONg image. It's there ... hiding

EDIT ... I hope you don't mind, but out of curiosity I took a screen grab of your image and selectively raised the exposure of the proms and surrounds +4EV in photoshop. It's there, but not in all its glory. I'm sure from your original image file you could coax out a better result than the screen grabbed modified version I posted.

Best
JA

We don't mind at all JA. We had noticed there were some faint remnants of the prom just visible but hadn't tried to bring it out. It was more just a comparison between what was there a couple of hours before hand that we had glimpsed while setting up. If we had actually managed to capture that image it would have been impressive. Its amazing just how quickly these changes occur on the sun considering that those gases have travelled tens of thousands of kms in that time. Thanks!!