Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Poll: Which telescope/seller?
Poll Options
Which telescope/seller?
You can only choose 3 options to vote on.

Old 28-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Howard (Howard)

Re moon filter ... or you can simply get a piece of cardboard and cut a hole in it which is about 75mm diameter and hang it off the end of the scope. My Skywatcher newt came with the manufacturers end cap 8" diam but it also has a built-in 75mm diam hole with its own cap for the same purpose. If yours has this smaller hole/cap in the main end caps fitting then you dont need a moon filter.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:11 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I did not vote as I don't know any of these scopes.

I have a solid tube Orion XT8i Intelliscope which is a computerized PushTo system. Simple to use, simple to deploy. So that is my personal experience with Dobs.

If the need to the collapse the system is not an issue I would go for the simpler solid tube. However, if I were to go for a truss model I would also want a shroud as I have a lot of light pollution where I am including street lights.

I am a fan of barlows. I just purchased a GSO 2" 2X so that I can double all of my eyepieces including my two 70 degree 2" eyepieces. For the cost of one eyepiece you double them all. You can always fill in later but you gain a lot of flexibility for not a lot of money.

My Dob is an Orion Intelliscope which is computer assisted. I don't know if they are available in your area. No motors. The computer tells me where to point it and I push it there. Nice feature to have. I can turn it on or leave it off as I choose.
Old 13-03-2016, 07:08 AM
glanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss View Post
"Moon" filter can mean several things. The ones that come included with cheap scopes are a dark green filter. You get a visually not all that satisfying very green Moon to look at.

A better one to use is a so called "neutral density" or ND filter, which just cuts down on the amount of light evenly across all colours. ND filters have a rating which specifies by how much they reduce brightness (see wikiped page).

A better option still to use crossed polarisers (they are sold as a single filter, not expensive) where you can adjust how bright or dim an image you want.

But IMHO the best option is to use no filter at all and view the Moon in its first or last quarter if you want to see maximum detail. (For showing others the more-than-half-full Moon an ND-filter can be useful though.)
That’s also great advice. Thanks janos. I guess it all comes down to personal experiences and personal preferences. Thanks to all.

Collimator wise I notice that Ozscopes has a Saxon 1.25 Laser Collimator for $126 and a Skywatcher Newtonian Collimation Eyepiece for $60.
Just wondering 2 things - does the Saxon Laser Collimator make collimation that much easier than the Skywatcher $60 job?
And secondly I’m kind of sold on getting a Skywatcher 8” Dob as my first telescope and wondering if the Saxon Laser would be compatible with the Skywatcher dob?
Old 21-03-2016, 01:33 PM
CAAD9 (Adam)

Josh,

In the public voting box I voted for the 8" full tube. For those of us in Brisbane astropetes is the cheapest if you go there to pick it up.

However, if I could amend the voting board a little I would recommend the 10" full tube which is only about $200-$250 more. In terms of apreture bang for buck, the 10" is the sweetest spot. Apreture rules for deep sky objects specifically and for improved contrast in general. The more the better.

One other thing, how tall are you? The 8" set up is quite small, I found it back breaking to use. The 10" is only a little bigger, but for me that little bit was a lot. I guess you could just shove it on top of a crate.

The advice to go to viewing night is absolutely spot on. It costs you nothing and you get hands on experience before you buy.

Good luck.

Adam
Old 21-03-2016, 01:42 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Join the AAQ and borrow one of their club scopes.

You will save heaps of money and can test out a different scope every month if you want!!!!