Old 21-08-2009, 02:35 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Meade DSI III - opinions?

i am looking at getting a CCD, and can pickup a Meade DSI III OSC CCD cheap, like the budgie, has anyone got any experience of these? i searched online, but cant find many reviews.

Anyone used one? are they worth having? or are they limited in what they can do?

many thanks

Old 21-08-2009, 02:45 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Duncan

Thanks for asking. I am in the same position - I would like to get into a ccd and have settled (I think) on the Meade DSI III. You're right, there seem to be very few reviews on these.

So I will watch this with anticipation.

Darrell
Old 21-08-2009, 03:06 PM
koputai (Jason)

Overall the spec looks ok. What it falls down on is no cooling.

Like you guys, I'm in the planning stages of getting a CCD. I tend to make comparision lists for things I want to buy, so here is my camera comparo so far. It's by no means complete.
Oh ok, I can't attach a .xls file. If you want to pm me your email address I'll send it to you.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 21-08-2009, 03:12 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

A picture is worth a thousand words... Google image search

Also toying with the idea, when funds allow.
Old 21-08-2009, 03:13 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
Overall the spec looks ok. What it falls down on is no cooling.

Like you guys, I'm in the planning stages of getting a CCD. I tend to make comparision lists for things I want to buy, so here is my camera comparo so far. It's by no means complete.
Oh ok, I can't attach a .xls file. If you want to pm me your email address I'll send it to you.

Cheers,
Jason.
Hi Jason

Yeah the lack of active cooling is a concern, although i have been looking at the big peltier as sold by Jaycar for $24, and a mod might well be the answer.

There seems to be a lack of reviews or info on it, anywhere online

Old 21-08-2009, 03:26 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Better image search:
"Meade DSI III"
"DSI PRO III"
"DSI III PRO"

Cloudy Nights Thread
Old 21-08-2009, 03:32 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Cooling a DSi will give you big headaches with condensation on the CCD.
What you get with a QYH8 is the sealed purged case with cooling that is controlable.
If you get a Meade it will be up for sale again while you look for a QYH#
Old 21-08-2009, 03:40 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
What you get with a QYH8 is the sealed purged case with cooling that is controlable.
If you get a Meade it will be up for sale again while you look for a QYH#

i guess thats some sound advice. how about if you put the DSI fan on there, and chanel'd air to flow down across the front of it, from above?

Old 21-08-2009, 03:44 PM
koputai (Jason)

Quote:
That's what has been putting me off the DSI III Pro. However, just thinking about it, surely you could do something like put a clear glass filter on the front of the nosepiece, and put a tiny bag of dessicant inside. Might be worth a try if someone has one of these cams.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 21-08-2009, 04:52 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Here is a DSI cooling project, still only 30deg below ambient, still an improvement on the darks
Once you go below the dew point you are in bother.
Air flow would help to a point but you endup with a complex system.
Old 21-08-2009, 05:15 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post
i am looking at getting a CCD, and can pickup a Meade DSI III OSC CCD cheap, like the budgie, has anyone got any experience of these? i searched online, but cant find many reviews.

Anyone used one? are they worth having? or are they limited in what they can do?

many thanks

Ok, I'll be the guinea pig. I just bought a used one and it should be here in a week or so.

I'm also an inveterate tinkerer and have purchased a small (60W) TE cooling unit from HKG on Ebay, plus a couple of different PWM 12V controllers, same source, all with a view to dabbling on what you are talking about.

I presently have an uncooled unmodded SP900NC Toucam and a Canon 1000d, neither of which seem to suit my abilities or desires. (Learn modest planetary/DSO skills before moving on to a monochrome QHY8 with filters, etc....)

I'll be happy to keep you guys in the loop as to my progress, if any, when things start arriving next week or so. I intend to start with the straight unmodded DSI III OSC with my SW ED100 on an EQ6. The weak link in the chain is presently me
Old 21-08-2009, 05:43 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Excellent News Mike, let us know how you go, you say you have a 1000D and you cant do DSO photography with it?

I find mine excellent for Astropics?

Old 21-08-2009, 05:59 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Oops, I forgot the link
http://www.backyardastronomy.net/peltier_cooling.html
Old 21-08-2009, 06:15 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Excellent News Mike, let us know how you go, you say you have a 1000D and you cant do DSO photography with it?

I find mine excellent for Astropics?

I've done some decent simple NGC images and a lot of lousy ones, but find my present camera situation a bit clunky for my level of experience, especially with focus, exposure and such. My eventual aim is to go to a cooled mono plus filters, and the path is just not there with the 1000d unless I mod it, and then it's still not cooled, etc, etc. No doubt in the hands of a more skilled person they could make it sing, but for me, I would like to retrace a little and try the likes of the DSI III, then move to the QHY8.

The 1000d makes a great widefield, I'm going to lash up an adaptor to piggy back it with it's lenses on my EQ6. My attraction is simple widefield nebulas etc just ofr my own satisfaction. Not trying to compete with Hubble

To confess, I'm probably far more of a tinkerer, and I enjoy it, than a great photographer. You want out of focus or head cut off? I can do it every time

So, we'll see how things turn out. I really love tinkering......
Old 21-08-2009, 06:23 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Really appreciate that. It's about as far as I want to go without trying to turn the DSI from a sows ear into a silk purse......

The TE I just bought from HKG includes heat sink and fan, only cost AUD28, plus another AUD 20 for a 12V PWM controller, but I'll ponder the fitment once I have it in my hands, and pass on any ideas. As I said, I lerve to tinker.
Old 21-08-2009, 06:48 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
I've done some decent simple NGC images and a lot of lousy ones, but find my present camera situation a bit clunky for my level of experience, especially with focus, exposure and such. My eventual aim is to go to a cooled mono plus filters, and the path is just not there with the 1000d unless I mod it, and then it's still not cooled, etc, etc. No doubt in the hands of a more skilled person they could make it sing, but for me, I would like to retrace a little and try the likes of the DSI III, then move to the QHY8.

The 1000d makes a great widefield, I'm going to lash up an adaptor to piggy back it with it's lenses on my EQ6. My attraction is simple widefield nebulas etc just ofr my own satisfaction. Not trying to compete with Hubble

To confess, I'm probably far more of a tinkerer, and I enjoy it, than a great photographer. You want out of focus or head cut off? I can do it every time

So, we'll see how things turn out. I really love tinkering......

I hear you, and i understand what your saying, but there is a VERY steep learning curve in going from widefield DSLR shots etc. to a monochrome camera with filters

I am glad i went the route of DSLR before anything, as i have learned alot from it.

Old 21-08-2009, 07:04 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
I hear you, and i understand what your saying, but there is a VERY steep learning curve in going from widefield DSLR shots etc. to a monochrome camera with filters

I am glad i went the route of DSLR before anything, as i have learned alot from it.

Agreed, that's why the intermediate DSI III step.

With the Canon widefield, I still get the stacking and processing experience, and with the DSI III OSC I hope to basically improve on my planetary and colour abilities, especially with some nebula.

If I still have the motivation after all that, next step is the big coolie!

And if it all turns to manure, there's alway the classifieds
Old 21-08-2009, 09:28 PM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

I have purchased a DSI III Pro about a month ago or so. Before that I was imaging through dsi ii pro and dslr canon 350d unmodified.

My imaging quality immediatly leapt upwards. The camera is easy to use and even though doesnt have active cooling, displays very little noise.

I intend to use a cooling fan in the summer months which meade supplied when I purchased my DSI II pro.

Having said that I have had years experience of using dsi - c to dsi ii - c then dsi ii pro and now the dsi iii, so it helps to understand the quirkes these meade images have in advance.

I suppose a picture paints a thousand words so have a look at the following all shot through the DSI III pro by myself recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Swan-Nebula-framed-final-re.jpg)
111.7 KB114 views
Click for full-size image (Eagle-Nebula-ice.jpg)
178.6 KB108 views
Click for full-size image (Trifid-final-small-aip.jpg)
144.7 KB126 views

Last edited by CoolhandJo; 21-08-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: oops
Old 22-08-2009, 07:19 AM
MJ_ (Matt)

I just bought a DSI III with adjustable tec cooling from a guy on cloudynights. For more information see this thread here.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../o/all/fpart/1

I think it is good value for money especially with the added tec cooling. It has the same sony chip as the QHY2 and costs half the price. This is my first camera so i think it will be a while before i learn how to take decent images, but theres some good info on tec cooling on that link i posted. If your handy with electronics it will make a noticeable difference.
Old 22-08-2009, 08:08 AM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

Be interested in seeing the results of your cooled camera to compare