Old 10-06-2019, 06:05 PM
gregbradley

Thanks Martin.

That image is impressive so I can see why you are interested. I don't really know that much about the latest Celestron offerings.

Greg.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:37 PM
stefang (Stefan)

10MIcron

Martin,
congratulations on the new mount. We have had a 10Micron GM3000HPS in operation for over a year now and couldn't be happier.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv3ia-dF..._web_copy_link

Welcome to the club.
stefan

Last edited by stefang; 10-06-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Martin Pugh

Cool. Glad to hear of another owner here in Aus.

I am just getting to grips with Mount Wizard 3 - excellent piece of software if it can produce a model, sort out the bad points and then optimize.

cheers
Martin
Old 13-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Martin Pugh

Test Image

Hello.
Got a way to go yet, but I chose an easy target to test some camera settings out; still getting used to OSC cameras and the right process order.

Anyway, here is Eta 3 x 30seconds. 36cm RASA, QHY183C. As I said before, this camera is not a good match but is ok for setting to work. The camera completely saturates out after a few seconds.

No calibration files applied, no noise reduction, just some levels and a bit of colour saturation.

cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (90seconds.jpg)
209.6 KB234 views
Old 23-06-2019, 11:11 PM
Martin Pugh

Hello again
took a short break from setting to work this system and take advantage of a waning moon.
Imaged linked here is comprised of just 10 x 60 sec exposures, ISO 400.

Check it out.

cheers
Martin
Old 24-06-2019, 08:06 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Some of the most impressive data I’ve seen from an f2 system.

I’m using a C11 hyperstar as an EAA system and the detail is nothing like what you’ve produced.

DT
Old 24-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
Hello again
took a short break from setting to work this system and take advantage of a waning moon.
Imaged linked here is comprised of just 10 x 60 sec exposures, ISO 400.

Check it out.

cheers
Martin
Not too shabby at all for a 10 minute exposure
How do the corners of the frame look? (field looks to have a square crop)
Old 24-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Martin Pugh

Thank you. It is an impressive scope, but will require a certain imaging strategy. Once I have the mount dialled in I will be able to take advantage of its unguided performance and do longer exposures on fainter objects. Things will also improve once a QHY600 is attached.
Cheers
Martin
Old 24-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Thank you. It is an impressive scope, but will require a certain imaging strategy. Once I have the mount dialled in I will be able to take advantage of its unguided performance and do longer exposures on fainter objects. Things will also improve once a QHY600 is attached.
Cheers
Martin
Interesting times. I looked at the QHY600 but at $US8k thought better of it, that said, I think you are correct in pairing it with the RASA. The sampling should be excellent.
Old 24-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Martin Pugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I did have to do some cropping, not because of aberrations but because the flats either under or over corrected. I have to do some more research on taking flats with a DSLR when attached to a scope, it is not as straightforward as I thought it would be.
Old 24-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
I did have to do some cropping, not because of aberrations but because the flats either under or over corrected. I have to do some more research on taking flats with a DSLR when attached to a scope, it is not as straightforward as I thought it would be.
The problem could be mechanical vignetting as opposed to optical. I’ve noticed this when connecting my Nikon D810 to faster telescopes where both the F-Mount opening AND the box that the sensor is contained with cause vignetting. At F/5 it is correctable and only causes some 15% vignetting but when you get down to F/2.2 and vignetting gets closer to 60%+ (I’m guessing here) flats become more and more problematic.

Canons do have a wider opening than Nikon’s but if you’re using a M48 connector some 55mm from the sensor that’s going to cause a bucket load of vignetting at F/2.2
Old 24-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Martin Pugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
The problem could be mechanical vignetting as opposed to optical. I’ve noticed this when connecting my Nikon D810 to faster telescopes where both the F-Mount opening AND the box that the sensor is contained with cause vignetting. At F/5 it is correctable and only causes some 15% vignetting but when you get down to F/2.2 and vignetting gets closer to 60%+ (I’m guessing here) flats become more and more problematic.

Canons do have a wider opening than Nikon’s but if you’re using a M48 connector some 55mm from the sensor that’s going to cause a bucket load of vignetting at F/2.2
Yes, the documentation does talk about it and it is mechanical. The sensor in the 5D is set way back and as you say the M48 wide T-ring aperture is insufficient. I will return to CCD as soon as the right camera is available. But what I was referring to is the method of getting flats. Using CCDAutopilot doesnt work, taking FITS images doesnt seem to work, so presently I am using Canon software but the right exposure length is pure guesswork.

Cheers
Martin
Old 25-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Martin Pugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Peter
it has occurred to me that you might be looking at the image as 'processed' by my website which produces a 500 x 500 square image. If you click on the image itself it will load the full sized version, less a little bit of cropping as mentioned.
cheers
Martin