ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-06-2014, 10:49 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Exclamation City of Perth Draft Lighting Strategy - Submissions

Hi all,

I realise this may not have been posted here. You have until 30th June to make subimssions on the City of Perth Draft Lighting Strategy.

This is the opportunity for Perth residents to comment on city lighting and raise the issue of light pollution. This is a rare and golden opportunity!

http://www.perth.wa.gov.au/planning-...hting-strategy

I have been busy preparing two submissions, one for the Perth Observatory Volunteer Group and one for my own submission.

The more submissions then better I think. Small and to the point or comprehensive, either way.

Regards,
Roger.
Old 16-06-2014, 12:27 PM
simmo

hi Roger,

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't mind writing something.

I came in on a flight last night and you can get an appreciation of how much light we really live with at night. Joondalup was the first part of the city I saw and it was bright to the point that the lake was easy to make out due the reflection coming off it. Weird.

Seems a bit of overkill really. Couple of points.

1. how much fossil fuels do we use to run this.
2. why bother with headlights on cars if you don't really need them. I thought this is why we had them, to drive at night.
3. how many people are on the roads at night anyway.
4. i could see why people are concerned that migratory birds could be affected by the dazzling lights.
5. crime I heard is no greater ( i think its actually less) where there is no lights.
6. People who get upset about having to slow down cause they can't see as well should learn to drive to conditions.
7. Why not have a turn off after 9 -10pm when most people are at home.

I grew up in the country where there were no street lights for 50 kms. we did alright. Had to live with the kangaroos constantly but I think we actually hit more during the daytime than at night.

I think it is important that people can be inspired by the stars (if they can see them) as it gives you an appreciation of how small we are and how greater place we live in.
Old 16-06-2014, 12:57 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
2. why bother with headlights on cars if you don't really need them. I thought this is why we had them, to drive at night.
I've seen a lot of people driving without their lights on because the street lights are so bright they don't realise until they come to a darker section. Even done it myself, you feel like a goose when it happens.
Old 16-06-2014, 01:43 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Thanks for your interest in the topic guy's. I have been surprised how much this golden opportunity to influence light pollution has fallen on deff ears it seems. We need more submissions.

I also wish I knew someone in the medical profession who could submit comments regarding the effects of unwanted light on health.
Old 16-06-2014, 04:53 PM
PeterM

What a golden opportunity.
Roger this may help
http://www.darksky.org/light-polluti...ics/ill-health
Old 17-06-2014, 09:40 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
What a golden opportunity.
Roger this may help
http://www.darksky.org/light-polluti...ics/ill-health
Hi Peter,

Thanks, have drawn a bunch of information from the DSA website. Taking a lot of effort to compile it together though.
Old 17-06-2014, 11:42 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

Hi Roger,

Can you ask 'em about this ****ing light?.

Click image for larger version

Name:	feckin light.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	164375
Old 17-06-2014, 01:13 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1987a View Post
Hi Roger,

Can you ask 'em about this ****ing light?.

Attachment 164375
You can yourself barry, more submissions the better
Old 17-06-2014, 01:18 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

Ha! thanks Roger, actually 'ol mate Octane on another thread may have the solution, I'm inspired to try it.

PS love your work
Old 17-06-2014, 02:00 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi roger,

if you uploaded a pro forma submission that people could then send in, i'm sure you would have a lot more IIS'ers making a submission.

i had a quick look and point out some of the points that stand out for me:

the strategy has a signfiicant 'pro-lighting' bias, here are a few points that illustrate this language used:

- photometric map and identifies areas of low lux readings as 'poorly lit' areas.
- " In order to position itself amongst international cities, Perth needs highly visible and interesting contemporary lighting to encourage a night time economy"
- Improved lighting is closely tied to reductions in crime rates and improved levels of public safety. Areas which are well lit and have opportunities for passive surveillance (or “eyes on the street”) are far less likely to experience incidents of criminal or anti-social activity.
Lighting also improves perceptions of safety for visitors to an area..."
- "there are specific locations where people don’t feel safe. This is most commonly experienced after dark and relates to poor lighting, isolation and / or antisocial behaviour."

the strategy needs to define what "improved lighting" and "well lit" actually mean. you can bet that means lights going in everywhere.

infact the social and safety section appears to be the longest.

While there is a small 'light pollution' section it is clearly given hardly any weight and efficiency is also brushed over. There are some good ideas with regard to lights being dimmer later in the night this would only occur around town squares and major boulevards.

seeing the strategy is so concerned about more lighting the design and baffling of these lights are the major concern and it fails to address this.

anyway, i have looked a lot of strategies in my time and it needs to be significantly boosted in the light pollution area, efficiency, effects on human health, and detailed street light design.

cheers

rusty
Old 17-06-2014, 08:51 PM
TrevorW

Good luck these submissions often fall on deaf ears, burning street lights for all night has nothing to do with security statistics show most burglaries happen during daylight hours
Old 18-06-2014, 09:17 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Just sent mine in Roger , small and concise .

I hope they take us seriously , I slanted towards the less lighting placed in strategic positions ( shielded of course) is a major benefit in money savings and better for the planet . .

Brian.
Old 18-06-2014, 11:41 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
hi roger,

if you uploaded a pro forma submission that people could then send in, i'm sure you would have a lot more IIS'ers making a submission.
Yes, it's always easier to get repsonse when people don't ahve to do anything themselves, leaving others to do the work for them.

I am not sure on the merit of such submissions (many copies of the same).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
i had a quick look and point out some of the points that stand out for me: ...
Thank you very much for your input Rusty. I'm going to get back to the submission this evneing and will go through your comments in more detai then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Good luck these submissions often fall on deaf ears
Yes, but we would be stupid to not take such opportunities, and if we didn't take such opportunities we would have less of a leg to stand on in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Just sent mine in Roger , small and concise .

I hope they take us seriously , I slanted towards the less lighting placed in strategic positions ( shielded of course) is a major benefit in money savings and better for the planet . .

Brian.
Excellent, great to hear Brian