Old 26-05-2021, 08:51 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Bloody Blood Moon

Where's all this blood moon BS coming from all of a sudden? Yes there's always been a bit of that but this time there doesn't seem to be an article anywhere that doesn't say friggin BLOOD somewhere. Total Lunar Eclipse not sound spectacular enough? Readers too dumb to understand what an eclipse is?

Rant over
Old 26-05-2021, 09:32 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Gets media exposure in layman's terms for the masses. The more eyes up the better.
Old 26-05-2021, 10:22 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Yes, dumbed down for the masses like everything else.
Old 26-05-2021, 11:28 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Mirko,

Don't get too flustered about the term "Blood Moon". Nor is it dumbing down. See it as a tool.

The term alone has been around since ancient times, noted in biblical chronicles, Ancient Egypt and earlier again. It has always had a sanguine meaning across cultures and languages across time.

I actively use the term as a mechanism to get people's attention about not only a lunar eclipse, but other things astro that go with it. Thing is you won't get people interested anywhere as much using "lunar eclipse" as blood Moon. Call it marketing for the ignorami if you will, but most people don't understand what an eclipse is, and certainly MANY people will equate a lunar eclipse with the same hazards that a solar eclipse presents, and it is important to make this distinction. It is an "eclipse" after all and they are dangerous, right... (see what I mean? )

If I am addressing an astro group of people, such as on this forum, I would not use the term "blood Moon".

As for those nutters who see a total lunar eclipse as some sort of occult/black magic/astrological artefact, you were never going to convince them otherwise. I see this as an opportunity to take wind out of their sails by engaging with the public via this term to drum up interest in science and education. And I certainly include the term "total lunar eclipse" at the same time as typing out "blood Moon". But once I am talking to people about the eclipse, I don't use "blood Moon".

Alex.
Old 26-05-2021, 11:53 AM
N1 (Mirko)

All valid points. I take issue with the fact that there seems to be a greater "need" to use the term now than in the past, to get people interested. Best case, it's just my bias because of a changed media environment and how I use it, worst case, the term doesn't work at all for science outreach, and actually goes at the expense of what's actually happening. Case in point: a couple of items north of here stated that the blood moon was also known as a total lunar eclipse. Just let that sink in. Also known as. Shouldn't that be the other way around? I won't provoide a link here because STUFF'em (see what I did there).

And, sorry but I have my doubts that "blood moon" would make anyone feel any safer about observing it.

Anyway, enough time wasted on the blood thing. Happy observing.

Last edited by N1; 26-05-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 26-05-2021, 12:11 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

You also have to be patient because there are also a lot of people who will promote these events ONLY because they think it makes them look smart. Social Media is No 1 with this as you said.

Heck, just NOW on the news, the eclipse was first described as a Blood Moon, not as a total lunar eclipse. But this is the order of things that will get people's attention, not the way around that we would do things.

Yes, time to put my gear in the car