Old 06-05-2020, 01:06 PM
weathermon (Mike)

Bintel GSO BT252 F4 Carbon Truss

Hi guys, I'm looking at purchasing the Bintel GSO BT252 10" F4 Carbon Truss Newtonian to upgrade my current steel newt, does anyone have this and any issues with it? https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bi...uss-newtonian/

I currently have a 10" F5 GSO steel OTA and while it works ok, it suffers really badly from tube flex when slewing (collimation goes out of alignment), so looking at something a lot more rigid. It'll be carrying a ZWO ASI1600MM Pro, 7 position filter wheel, ZWO OAG and Orion SSAG for autoguiding. I'll also swap over my Moonlite 2" focuser to this.

There's a 4 month wait minimum at the moment for it because of a parts shortage, so plenty of time to make up my mind.

Cheers, Mike
Old 06-05-2020, 01:49 PM
glend (Glen)

I would bet your collimation shift in your GSO Newt is simply due to weak primary support springs. Have you upgraded your primary springs? For a few dollars at Bunnings you might solve your problem.
GSO newts and Dobs are notorious for having less than adequate primary spring strength.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:43 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I bought an 8” f5 GSO newt from Bintel 18 months ago for imaging and have no issues at all
Primary springs were excellent , and I fitted a 16” DUP losmandy dovetail bar which spread the tube rings another 100mm apart compared to the crappy GSO bar
I agree with Glen , the GSO newts before 2018 had poor quality primary springs
I had to upgrade them on my 4 year old 6” f6 GSO newt with custom made springs from a company called Better Springs in Sydney ( couldn’t find anything in Bunnings that would do the job ) I paid $13 a spring but they were machined with the exact coil size , length and perfect tension. I hardly ever need to collimate this Scope

Try upgrading your primary springs if your newt was purchased before 2018 and also spread your tube rings wider with a big solid losmandy bar

Good luck !!
Old 06-05-2020, 03:17 PM
weathermon (Mike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I would bet your collimation shift in your GSO Newt is simply due to weak primary support springs. Have you upgraded your primary springs? For a few dollars at Bunnings you might solve your problem.
GSO newts and Dobs are notorious for having less than adequate primary spring strength.

I haven't done upgrades on the primary springs with it no, but the focuser was flexing quite badly on the tube itself, so I re-enforced it with 1.6mm thick aluminium. That made it a bit better, but the temperature shift plus the thin aluminium is still a bit of an issue unfortunately. I might invest in some upgraded springs though as it'll be Sep till there's stock anyway, so if there's anything I can do to help improve the issues I'm having, then I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I bought an 8” f5 GSO newt from Bintel 18 months ago for imaging and have no issues at all
Primary springs were excellent , and I fitted a 16” DUP losmandy dovetail bar which spread the tube rings another 100mm apart compared to the crappy GSO bar
I agree with Glen , the GSO newts before 2018 had poor quality primary springs
I had to upgrade them on my 4 year old 6” f6 GSO newt with custom made springs from a company called Better Springs in Sydney ( couldn’t find anything in Bunnings that would do the job ) I paid $13 a spring but they were machined with the exact coil size , length and perfect tension. I hardly ever need to collimate this Scope

Try upgrading your primary springs if your newt was purchased before 2018 and also spread your tube rings wider with a big solid losmandy bar

Good luck !!
Interesting! Yeah I also upgraded to the 16" Losmandy dovetail too, plus put the old GSO dovetail on top to stiffen it up a bit more. I might have to check out getting springs for sure - I always thought that the locking levers once they were done up helped to lock the mirror cell in place. One thing I did note though on the last clean was that the cork either side of the primary mirror had shrunk causing mirror flop. Should I look at replacing this too or nothing to worry about?

Cheers
Old 07-05-2020, 07:38 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Can only help support the mirror if you replace the cork spacers
Bunnings have round ones of all sizes as I have replaced mine a while back
Also helps with back focus , I used 4mm thick x 20mm diameter ones ( heavy duty )
Cheers