Old 10-06-2020, 06:51 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Too many filters?

Setting up my FSQ-85 with mono CCD, and decided to install the UV/IR cut filter into the CAA (Camera Angle Adjuster) - I had previously bought large UV/IR cut filters (Marumi) for the FSQ-106 with an OSC, and placing them in the CAA front (Tak specifically mentions you can screw a large filter there). Now going mono, and using Astronomik CLS-CCD as the Lum (due to my LP), will having the UV/IR ahead and then through the CLS have any real detriment to signal? Looking at the Astronomik data, I don't think it will (Astronomik suggest to use the CLS in place of the Lum in LP conditions).

Will the UV/IR cut have any detrimental effect on R, G, B and H-a at all? Or help?

I'm re-learning mono, so help appreciated!
Old 10-06-2020, 07:01 PM
jamespierce (James)

From a filtration point of view I can't see how it would impact apart from a small loss in transmission. However it's another surface to collect dust and another surface to cause internal reflections and flare etc. The other thing to consider is a fairly large focus shift which will occur when you only have one filter, not two (eg Lum exposures)
Old 11-06-2020, 07:59 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Did that a lot, stacking filters. The only potential issue is internal reflections on bright stars when some are too close together. Other than that it's ok. UV/IR cut usually provide to include the Ha line and all RGB colors. You'll have to check the manufacturer's charts to make sure there's enough overlap.