Old 09-04-2020, 11:14 AM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Moon Imaging with ASI1600MM - need help

I tried to do some images last night of the moon with my 80ED @ 480mm.

I shot using SharpCap and did 3000 frames each of RGB.
I did a 1760x1760 region of interest.
The images were shot all within about 5 minutes or so.

I stacked each of the three of them in AutoStackkert3, and was relatively happy with the result, sharpened out of the box.

However, I can't quite get them to line up (manually in photoshop, or in Registax6). The Red channel is off by about half a pixel vertically at the bottom of the image (at the top it is ok).

I'm struggling a bit to work out the right way to do this, and stent too many hours already looking for the right workflow steps.

I'm thinking I need to go back and stack them with a 3x Drizzle to pump up the pixels, and then I may have a bit better chance of finding an alignment.

Unless someone can teach me how to move the channels around in partial pixel distances?

These are the times I wish I had bought a one shot colour as well!

Can anyone point me to some resources on how I might fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2020-04-08-Supermoon-ASI1600-RGB-wavelets.jpg)
196.3 KB49 views
Old 09-04-2020, 01:00 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I don't have an answer for you, Rob, but keen to hear of any potential solutions.

I did a similar thing the other night, only mine are way more than half a pixel around the poles
Old 09-04-2020, 01:51 PM
John K

Registax 6 has an RGB align feature that you may want to try.

Can I ask why you are doing an RGB image of the moon rather than just B&W?

Also maybe download a trial version of PixInsight which has a sub pixel channel match feature. My go with Pixinsight as well as reducing the saturation of your Red channel attached. Hope you like it!

Clear skies.

John K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2020-04-08-Supermoon-ASI1600-RGB-wavelets.jpg)
150.8 KB29 views
Old 09-04-2020, 02:39 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Hi John,

The RGB pixel align is just an analyses that lets you move the pixels 1 pixel at a time in any direction. Good, but no better than doing it manually in photoshop.

As for why RGB, well, I wanted to stretch it, to show the different colors you get in the mare which range from browns to blues.

I have a trial of pixinsight which I haven’t got my head around and it’s getting close to expiring. I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

How do all the planetary imagers do this? Or is it much more easy to hide because the images are normally a lot smaller? I thought I’d find more about this, but it seems I’m not searching the right things!

Ps. I hadn’t done and colour matching/grading yet. This is just the three raw stacks aligned as best I could.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:09 PM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_pascale View Post
Hi John,

The RGB pixel align is just an analyses that lets you move the pixels 1 pixel at a time in any direction. Good, but no better than doing it manually in photoshop.

As for why RGB, well, I wanted to stretch it, to show the different colors you get in the mare which range from browns to blues.

I have a trial of pixinsight which I haven’t got my head around and it’s getting close to expiring. I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

How do all the planetary imagers do this? Or is it much more easy to hide because the images are normally a lot smaller? I thought I’d find more about this, but it seems I’m not searching the right things!

Ps. I hadn’t done and colour matching/grading yet. This is just the three raw stacks aligned as best I could.
Hi Rob,

For the moon, I never shoot RGB. Only either an IR685 filter or a red filter.

For the planets - I simply try and always have a consistent histogram with all my filters. RGB align in Registax 6 works well for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars for the best alignment. The seeing can greatly affect this - Blue is always the blurriest channel. Adjustments in color balance in Photoshop also works.

What is probably working against you as well is that you are using a refractor if I am not mistaken - there will always be a slight color fringe so maybe this is what you are seeing.

Have fun.

John K.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:19 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Hi Rob,
RGB align in Registax 6 works well for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars for the best alignment. The seeing can greatly affect this - Blue is always the blurriest channel. Adjustments in color balance in Photoshop also works.
Maybe I'm getting the workflow wrong.
I generated all three images in AutoStakkert3.
I then "aligned" the three images as best I could in Photoshop as an RGB TIF.
Then I bought that in to Registax to play with.

Is there a way to get the 3 final RGB images from AutoStakkert3 in to "automatically" align them? A lot of the planetary tutorials use OSC cameras and blow past this detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
What is probably working against you as well is that you are using a refractor if I am not mistaken - there will always be a slight color fringe so maybe this is what you are seeing.
Yep, it's an APO (80ED) but that's a likely cause as well.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:10 PM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_pascale View Post
Maybe I'm getting the workflow wrong.
I generated all three images in AutoStakkert3.
I then "aligned" the three images as best I could in Photoshop as an RGB TIF.
Then I bought that in to Registax to play with.
That's the right workflow. RGB Align in Registax.

BUT - if you're really keen to play - then PixInsight is what you want. Either use channel match to move at a sub pixel level your different channels, or use the Star Alignment feature to align each channel and then simply combine them into an RGB image. I just had a go at this myself and I still see your red color fringe.

Have fun.

PS. I still think a grey image of the moon looks better - sorry but could not resist!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2020-04-08-Supermoon-ASI1600-RGB-wavelets_Adjusted.jpg)
148.1 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (2020-04-08-Supermoon-ASI1600-RGB-wavelets_Adjusted_Grey.jpg)
136.3 KB26 views
Old 09-04-2020, 04:47 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Totally agree - the grey scale ones look great.

I did this one with the Clear filter (as well as the LPS filter that I always run)
Full Size - https://astrob.in/qdqbdc/0/

I will get a colour one sorted eventually! I will crack out PixInsight. I've been staring at it anxiety ridden about the learning curve!

I did one last night also with my DSLR (Canon 7D MkII - 500mm Sigma lens)
https://astrob.in/ee2027/0/
But I had issues with it too - but I did manage to get the colour differences showing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2020-04-08 Supermoon ASI1600 Luminance.jpg)
27.9 KB19 views
Old 09-04-2020, 04:55 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Could be due to atmospheric Chromatic Aberrations....