Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Shane Galvin

Webcam photos

Hi,Im new to this site.Am wondering if anyone can help me with webcam photos/videos through a 114mm tasco luminova telescope.I have a basic microsoft webcam,and was thinking of trying to capture images.What are the chances???
Im also looking at buying a new digital SLR camera very soon,will my telescope be able to handle this kind of camera?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:33 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

It is highly unlikely you will be able to obtain satisfying images using a DSLR through your telescope Shane. You would be able to get some shots of the moon with the correct 1.25" adapter but without decent tracking and mount stability deep sky stuff will be very frustrating. If you have tracking you might be able to do some widefield shots piggybacking the dlsr.

Do you know the specifications of the webcam or have a link to a page that describes it's features? Generally you will need to remove the lens and attach an adapter to fit into your eyepiece holder on the telescope. Again you will need some form of tracking, manual might be alright if you mounts slo-mo adjustment can produce smooth adjustments.

BTW and to the site. Browse around you will find lots of info relating to what you want to know.