Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
pvelez (Pete)

TSX, Maxim and guiding

I'm onto my next issue with Ms Scarlett, the new PMX.

I like guiding with Maxim. I had it running nicely on the EQ6 using a ST-4 cable and ASCOM/TSX. The Maxim setting for telescope control was guide relays from memory.

How do I set this up with PMX? I had hoped that I could simple set the telescope connection in guide settings to The Sky controlled scope and so send guide signals through the USB cable to the mount. No joy there - it looks like the mount can't be moved this way.

Does this mean I need to revert to the ST-4 cable? If so, what setting in Maxim do I use?

Of course I should have polar alignment so close that I don't need guiding. But I'm not quite there yet.

Thanks in advance

Pete
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
rat156

You should be able to guide using direct guide using TSX on the PMX.

I'm not sure where the setting is in Maxim, but a request on the Software Bisque support centre will get you the answer.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 PM
frolinmod

Please make sure you have the very latest The Sky Controlled Telescope ASCOM driver from ascom-standards.org. That is V5.2.10, released last week I think. It supposedly fixed this problem. You also need to enable PulseGuide in the driver's properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post
You should be able to guide using direct guide using TSX on the PMX.
The Camera Add On to TheSkyX does not do guiding at this time. CCDSoft does guiding, including DirectGuide, but I gather Pete wants to use Maxim instead.

Last edited by frolinmod; 02-07-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks guys - I think I have it licked.

For the life of me I couldn't work out how to turn on pulse guiding in ASCOM. I tracked it down to the Profile tool - you simply go into the setting for Pulse Guiding and change false to true. All V simple.

I'm now plugging away guiding with Maxim and using ASCOM direct through the USB cable. Another cord eliminated - woohoo!

Pete
Old 25-10-2012, 02:39 PM
pvelez (Pete)

OK - I'm open to suggestions again on this.

The only alternative that works for me at the moment is using ASCOM guide option. I need to set Pulse Guiding to True in the ACOM Profile Tool.

All works ok - except when using CCD Autopilot. While I should be able to calibrate on 1 side of the pier and then guide on both sides, I've found that guiding won't play nicely - the Y axis runs off merrily into the distance. No fiddling with settings in Maxim or CCDAP fixes this.

Posting to the CCDAP forum led to a suggestion that its a conflict with the ASCOM pulse setting. The alternative is to use the TSX Controlled Telescope setting in Maxim.

However, when I have that option selected, I can't get a response from the PMX. Using the "Move" function in Maxim, the mount resolutely refuses to do so.

So back to my initial question for PMX/Maxim users - is there a secret setting to enable guiding via the Telescope option in Maxim?

My set up is as follows:

PMX linked to the PC via TSX.
Maxim linked to TSX - selected in Telescope set up.
Maxim links to the cameras - QSI583 and SSAG
Select ASCOM Direct in Control Via tab in guide settings.

Telescope won't work. Connecting the guidescope with an ST-4 cable and selecting Guider Relays also won't work.

Any tips?

Pete
Old 25-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Pete
There is an option in Maxim guiding settings to reverse X on flip/reverse Y on flip. Are these set correctly?
It can be a pain to get this right (trial and error?) but you only need to set it once.
James
Old 25-10-2012, 03:57 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
Pete
There is an option in Maxim guiding settings to reverse X on flip/reverse Y on flip. Are these set correctly?
It can be a pain to get this right (trial and error?) but you only need to set it once.
James
James

this is the interesting issue for me. Once I have calibrated with Maxim manually, I can happily guide on both sides of the meridian. However, when I use CCDAP it won't.

The CCDAP recommended setting is not to change the reverse x/reverse y. You also need to turn off Maxim's settings for meridian flipping so I'm not sure they'd work anyway.

I might have a play tonight just to make sure - so thanks for th suggestion

Pete
Old 25-10-2012, 04:44 PM
DavidNg (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post

So back to my initial question for PMX/Maxim users - is there a secret setting to enable guiding via the Telescope option in Maxim?

Pete
Hi, I have PMX/Maxim, but with Sbig St10 and CFW-10, after hours of reading manual and search internet, everyone used Guider Relays or Main Relays, did not work for me, drove me crazy. One day I tried MicroGuide...IT WORKED first go calibration and track. Hope your system can also use this option.
David
Old 25-10-2012, 04:58 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNg View Post
Hi, I have PMX/Maxim, but with Sbig St10 and CFW-10, after hours of reading manual and search internet, everyone used Guider Relays or Main Relays, did not work for me, drove me crazy. One day I tried MicroGuide...IT WORKED first go calibration and track. Hope your system can also use this option.
David
Thanks David

I'll give it another go tonight

Pete
Old 25-10-2012, 07:15 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Hold the Press! I can guide using the Control via Telescope setting in Maxim. I have no idea what I have done differently.

Will try CCDAP now

Pete
Old 25-10-2012, 08:06 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Clouds!!!

Damn!

At least I have the guiding via Telescope rather than ASCOM licked.

Pete