Old 19-07-2012, 11:27 PM
TanjaC (Tanja)

HyperStar 3 for C11

I just received my new Hyperstar 3 for a C11 today, and before I get going just want to ask some advice.
(They seem to have forgotten to ship the counterweight - I'm trying to establish if I need it - so not fitting this before the manufacturer replies to my mail. Their PDF manual online also doesn't download)

How do you go about setting up for an imaging session, regarding star/polar alignment and balancing.

My thoughts were to balance the setup with the Hyperstar. But align with normal eyepiece, get precise polar alignment - then park the mount. (so the setup is unbalanced when aligning)
Then place Hyperstar and camera (quite heavy!) on front - and start imaging session?

Any advice welcome!
thanks
Old 19-07-2012, 11:48 PM
ourkind (Carlos)
There is no substitute

Their PDF manual online also doesn't download

Hi Tanja,

I found this link with PDF's and instructions on how to install HYP*3 to a C11 on a GEM -> http://starizona.com/acb/HyperStar-L...-P990C648.aspx

Not sure about the counter weight etc, I'm not at that level yet, personaly I just aquired a C11 XLT last week on a GEM5pro and loving it! I can't wait to get out of the city lights for a better view, although my jaw has already hit the ground several times already!!

I hope this helps
Old 20-07-2012, 12:33 AM
TanjaC (Tanja)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourkind View Post
Their PDF manual online also doesn't download

Hi Tanja,

I found this link with PDF's and instructions on how to install HYP*3 to a C11 on a GEM -> http://starizona.com/acb/HyperStar-L...-P990C648.aspx

I hope this helps
This most definitely helped. Thanks. By the looks of this it doesn't need a counterweight popped into the visual back of my tube.
Flag u loving your scope, the 11's are nice and big. Hope u'll try some astrophotography too! Very rewarding seeing more colors and detail, although a hell of a lot of work!
Old 20-07-2012, 02:12 AM
blink138 (Pat)

hello tanja the only person i know of that is using your precise setup is marc (multiweb)
he had a post a few days ago about being on holidays but he would be the person to get you started with advice
just pm him
pat
Old 20-07-2012, 02:45 AM
TanjaC (Tanja)

Yip, already done that
Thanks!
Old 20-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Helo (Peter)

No counterweight

Hi Tanja; I have a C11 with a Hyperstar 3 also which I received only a few months ago and they also did not ship the counterweight to me. I contacted Dean at Starizona and they shipped it later. On their website they make a big deal about correct balance being so important for correct tracking so I would ask them to ship it (you paid for it so you should receive it). Once I received it and set it up, I got carried away and imaged everything in sight in one night http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=89801

When you image you will get a lot of vignetting and so crop a lot and flats will help a lot. I am spoilt in that I have a dome with a pier for my scope so once I was polar aligned (which took a while) I can leave it. Balance it and then off you go - it is soooo fast. I have been spending more time of late at f6.3 with much longer exposures as i seem to get better colour http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=92464 but will pull it out again soon. I had troubles initially removing the 2ry mirror so if you have any problems let me know. Good luck
Old 21-07-2012, 03:26 AM
TanjaC (Tanja)

Thanks Peter!
Yip looking forward to taking pics, will do tomorrow night.
I did mail Dean and he said since I'm on an equatorial mount I don't need a counterweight (my optical tube will slide and balance on the doverail like that)

Your pics look great, makes me excited to see what I can get, probably also imaging most of what you shot - especially M20 and ngc5128

Thanks again
Old 26-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Swanie (Fred Swanepoel)

Hi Tanja,
I also ordered a Hyper Star3 Lens for my C11 only to be dissatisfied when I
Discovered that the counter weight was not included! I contacted Starrizona
and Donna was very apologetic and assured me they will post it with my next
Shipment .It seems to me it is a trend with these people in forgetting to ship
Half of your stuff.You should demand your counter weight from Starrizona ,it was included in the price.