Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2021, 06:27 AM
denodan (Dennis)

Things I don't like about Skywatcher Wifi Dongle

Have had a play with the SW wifi dongle.

Things I don't like are, doing polar alighment gives no indication how far your off, unlike the HC

2 crashes out on IOS Often, the synscan app just stops and the iPad goes back to home screen.

3 using skysafari, you click on and object, only gets to the ballpark, you can hit aligh, but the object you goto is so far off you cannot aligh, so obviously sybscan and SkySafari don't talk to each other properly.

Synscan app does aligh as well as the HC.

But on IOS very clunky as need to apps running to get it working and 3 if using skysafari.

Certainly a very poor setup compared to celestron who have it working well with SkySafari or starportal. Can do alignment and works well.

As yet have not tried synscan on Android for any length of time. On ios just seems to buggy and the polar alighment feature is useless compared to the HC which gives how far your off the pole.

Whrn doing polar alighment in synscan app, goes through use alt bolts and alt bolts as normal then when you have done all required, nothing or figures how far off you are.

Gone back to using the HC not a patch on Celestron thats for sure
Old 14-04-2021, 05:18 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

I continue to use the Synscan app. I run it on an old iPhone 6 Plus. Yep get numerous app crashes. On the plus side I can restart the app and connect and don't have to re-align etc so it's not screwing up the mount's active data.
I tried running it on my new Samsung Galaxy the other night and the app wouldn't run...it just flashed the home screen and crashed, so that's crap.
When doing photography, I find that if I connect using the iPhone, then use the Windows PC Synscan app that magically connects to the iPhone app, then I have no problems. Takeaway if I use the iPhone app and avoid touching it, then it doesn't crash.