Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 27-04-2020, 07:55 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Shopping list for AP beginner with $A5k to spend?

Hey folks,

Asking the IIS team here on behalf of a new mentee. (mentoree?)

He's an experienced photographer but new to AP (and based overseas) would like me to recommend AP gear to get started.
Budget is $US3k. He uses a PC.

I'm thinking ...
-ED80 refractor or similar
-ZWO ASI 294 camera
-EQ6 alt/az
-OAG + ZWO/QHY guide camera
-Polemaster
-Dew heater & strap
-Powered USB hub

Some of this may need to be second hand to fit the budget.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Cheers

Andy
Old 27-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’m a little dubious as to whether a high QE smallish pixel camera would be suitable to an ED80 due to star bloat. Perhaps a 8” F/5 newt?
Old 27-04-2020, 09:05 AM
billdan (Bill)

With the short focal length of the ED80 an OAG is not necessary and the Orion-Mini guide-scope would be OK and less trouble setting up.

Polemaster is probably overkill, as Sharpcap, PHD2 and the EQ6 firmware can now do the same thing (accurate polar alignment).

He will need a laptop or something like ASIair to capture/guide and store sub exposures.

EDIT: The ASI-294 with 4.63 micron pixels are fat compared to its other CMOS brothers.

Last edited by billdan; 27-04-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 27-04-2020, 09:23 AM
gregbradley

William Optics has a range of nice short refractors. Not sure if that throws the budget off though.

A Newt is a common choice these days and they seem to go very well with these ASI camera.

But of course a Newt means collimation and that may be a bit daunting for a newbie. A widefield APO would be the go.

Greg.
Old 27-04-2020, 10:03 AM
h0ughy (David)

Maybe a asi183mcpro, and the ed80, eq6 second hand, gpusb and a second hand 120mm and an Orion 50mm guidescope . An asifocus motor maybe on the scope and a cable to join up the mount to PC. Dew straps for main scope and guide scope. That will at least be great for most things to start with. The 183 would be cheaper, good bang for bucks. You never know he might be lucky and find an imaging rig complete where ever they are?
Old 27-04-2020, 10:12 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Something I forgot to say when we talked about it last night. I cant comment on other cameras but a filter such as the ZWO IR cut filter is more or less essential with the ASI294. I chased reflections for weeks before I fitted one. The ZWO IR cut is more or less a Lum filter, it is UV-IR cut not just IR with a passband between about 400 and 700nm.

I suggested the other way with an OAG like the Orion thin I had, despite some rigidity issues with that particular OAG, If you actually have to go out and buy the guidescope to put on there is probably not a lot of money in it either way. They take a little more setting up in the beginning but then they just work!
Old 27-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I started with a 6” f6 newt for both visual and AP
Very manageable, reliable and good all rounder
My recommendation would be a 6” f5 newt or 6” f6 newt to get kick started
Old 27-04-2020, 11:21 AM
glend (Glen)

I would encourage a beginner to avoid the ASI294, it has some quirky requirements, compared to say a ASI 1600MC. The 294 is backlit and thus that makes chip cooling problematic, which can cause uneven cooling of the substrate. Flats are a requirement, but the 1600 can be used without ever needing flats. Do for so plicity sake, I would recommend a 1600. In your list you forgot to include the software to run imaging with that suggested 294, you need to add that.
But you know if he is a photographer, why not start with what he knows, like a good low noise DSLR, say a Nikon D5600. He can use Backyard Nikon to run his imaging and control the camera.
Hev is going to use up most of his budget in buying a mount and scope. Forget Polemaster, it is not needed, since he has a PC just use one of the polar alignment apps (like SharpCap, or others) that are available.

Concerning the scope, I agree a Newt is a better investment.
Old 28-04-2020, 07:11 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Thanks Colin, Bill, Greg, David, Paul, Martin, Glen for your considered input - Some good options there to consider - Cheers!
Old 28-04-2020, 07:47 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I saw this late last night so only now getting chance to make comment:
I bought an AZ/EQ EQ6 mount, envisioning using it in az mode for solar visual etc. Only ever put it in az mode once. If a standard EQ6 is a less expensive option, even $100, save the money. It is a bit of an operation to switch it over and if he wants to do a bit of visual, a dob is always a better bet IMHO.
I would actually recommend a Polemaster, even for a beginner. Only needs ability to follow instructions and will save heaps of time much better used for other things. Best money I ever spent!!
Go a DSLR and keep powder dry on an astro camera. Wide FOV makes life easier at the start.
On the OAG, I am using the ZWO OAG and am not a huge fan. Mechganically it is only average and the focusing is a PITA, unless you get the helical focuser. If going the ED80 and an EQ6, plenty of capacity for a guide scope, especially if a second hand one can be picked up. I have used one of the little 30mm Orion guidescopes that mount in the finder bracket and they work fine if using a short FL main scope.

Malcolm
Old 28-04-2020, 08:07 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I'd also like to chip in with the go with the DSLR to start with - he probably already has something that could be used. More money can then be spent on the rest of the gear, especially the mount (go GEM/CGEM), since that's where a significant amount of the learning will be (besides processing, but I'm assuming since they are an experienced photographer, that side of things should not be too hard).

I wouldn't bother with a Polemaster personally, but use other cheaper solutions - plus ensure the learning process covers a number of techniques for PA.

I agree with the OAG path.

And because I'm suggesting a DSLR, I think a reflector of some type rather than a refractor might be better for overall colour.
Old 28-04-2020, 03:50 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Cheers Malcolm & Chris,

He's keen to go fast & long (ish), and lives rurally - so we discussed Newtonians as the primary option, an EQ6R & either his Canon or a ZWO camera, polemaster & orion guidescope/camera kit.

BTW, has anyone had success with the ASI Air?

Cheers all

Andy
Old 28-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post

Cheers all

Andy
Hey Andy,

Not me (but, I'm working on getting Stellarmate up & running) but, you might send a PM to Ryan Jones, I know he is using ASI Air for guiding & such like with success & as far as I know the only reason he's not using it for capture is because he's running an older EOS350d which isn't compatible...

Cheers
Old 28-04-2020, 05:09 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Andy

I own two EQ6-R mounts for AP , one used in Sydney suburbs ( Bortle 8 ) and one used at my retirement home south coast NSW ( Bortle 3 )

I can’t fault these low end Chinese mounts , they are robust , track and guide beautifully , guiding out of the box at 0.70 to 0.80 arc sec error ( belt driven Dec ) and under $2500 too

My one in Sydney carry’s about 9kg ( 6” f6 newt )

The one at my retirement home carry’s about 15kg ( 8” f5 newt )

The later mount purchased early this year came with the new additional USB connection which is handy for connecting your Ascom planetarium direct ( like Stellarium) No more USB serial FTDI chipset cables

A big thumbs up for the EQ6-R !!!

Cheers
Martin
Old 28-04-2020, 11:17 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Cheers Malcolm & Chris,

He's keen to go fast & long (ish), and lives rurally - so we discussed Newtonians as the primary option, an EQ6R & either his Canon or a ZWO camera, polemaster & orion guidescope/camera kit.

Cheers all

Andy
I think John Pullen down here in Geelong uses the ASIAIR and swears by it. Will try and check.
Old 29-04-2020, 02:14 PM
Xeteth (David)

Andy - I have a ~8 month old EQ6-R I'm looking to move on as I'm upgrading to a TOA130 which is too heavy for it.

It's in pristine condition, always packed up in the box after use etc. Comes with a pier extension kit as well. Looking for about $2k for it, feel free to chuck me a message if it might interest him

Also, to bring down the cost a bit for him I recommend trying Sharpcap for polar alignment over the polemaster - it works really well!
Old 29-04-2020, 06:42 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeteth View Post
Andy - I have a ~8 month old EQ6-R I'm looking to move on as I'm upgrading to a TOA130 which is too heavy for it.
Thanks David, he’s based in the US so that’s problematic ....
how’s the search for the Tak going?
Cheers
Andy
Old 29-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Xeteth (David)

Quote:
Thanks David, he’s based in the US so that’s problematic ....
how’s the search for the Tak going?
Cheers
Andy
Ah, totally missed that in your OP sorry!

I've managed to find a potential Tak130 with AP Mach 1 GTO (yay!), but the addition of the mount meant my budget was blown way out. Currently doing some finances to see what I can do
Old 08-05-2020, 08:59 AM
Kuz

I am only new to astro photography myself. I bought a skywatcher esprit ed80 to start with best move ever . Easy to use and nice field of view . I am also running a asi air . Another item I think beginners should look at . It makes astro photography so easy . Polar alignment only took 10 minutes the first time I tried to do a polar alignment . Only takes around 5 minutes now . It like a switz army knife . As it looks adter the guide camera. Main camera ,tracking and polar alignment. I am currently waiting for my newly bought asi pro to come in the post . It will hopefully carry out the job pf supplying power to my ring and cameras . It now only takes me 20 minutes to set up ,polar align and start taking subs .