Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 14-10-2014, 07:25 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Rings for FS-60/FC-76D and other 80mm tubes

There is an apparent shortage of suitable rings for OTA's with 80mm diameters. Additionally, not many of us seem to actually like the Takahashi clamshell, so what are our options?

Here's the best option. Price is not small, but having used Borg rings before for my mini-guidescope (Tak 7x50 finder converted), I swaer BY them, not at them

http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/.../html/7083.htm

Additionally, Ted and Mia at Astro Hutech are great to deal with, and dispatch rapidly from California to here - last set I ordered was here in 3 days.

If those don't grab you, you COULD shim Vixen 90mm tube rings or the average-quality Skywatcher hinging rings with a 10mm aluminium ring, or you can apparently convert a set of camera telephoto lens rings. Also, there are 85mm tube rings available ex-China for MORE than the Borg ones, or Parallax, again, at a larger cost than the Borg.

I ordered a set for my newly acquired FC-76D (FS-60 conversion), and they will be sent today, CA time (there was a US public holiday yesterday)
Old 15-10-2014, 04:37 PM
anj026
Plyscope

The Hutech rings look great Lewis.

I have a set of the camera tube rings (thanks Matt!) and also a set of home made plywood rings. See photos.

Takahashi have two styles of 80mm tube clamp. The standard FS60 one with the offset (KA20420) and the one designed for the FS60Q without the offset (KA20420Q). I haven't tried either of them. Maybe one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1265 - Copy.JPG)
101.2 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1360 - Copy.JPG)
128.7 KB36 views
Old 15-10-2014, 08:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Andy,

Good stuff!

BTW, did you know the Vixen 115mm rings, with a thicker layer of felt (green thicker pre-stiffened is available from Spotlight ) fir the TSA-102 PERFECTLY. I have a set on my FC-100, and the tube is the same diameter (114mm)

Will show the Borg's when they arrive. Might make them Tak green yet