#1  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,057
Nikon D800E heaven!

I finally got my much anticipated Nikon D800E today. These cameras are as rare as hens teeth and Nikon has been swamped by massive market demand.

The E version has an the low pass optical filter nullified so it works much the same as medium format cameras and cameras like the Leica M9, Fuji Xpro 1 that do not have your standard slight blurring anti aliasing filter.
The D800 has a rather weak AA filter already so the difference is not great but its there.

The idea is at 36mp it has enough resolution to not show moire effects very often and it gives that last little gain of extra sharpness and microcontrast that gives images a tad more pop!

I'll be shooting with it over the weekend and hope to have something decent to post in the terrestial images section for those interested.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Screwdriverone's Avatar
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Screwdriverone is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kellyville Ridge, NSW Australia
Posts: 3,306
I look forward to the shakedown Greg, should be interesting!

Cheers

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Mighty_oz (Marcus)
Registered User

Mighty_oz is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atm somewhere in Perth
Posts: 575
That would be great of u Also any chance of night time shots of u know what ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriverone View Post
I look forward to the shakedown Greg, should be interesting!

Cheers

Chris
So do I.

I plan some night time lapse as well (too bad about the moon).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_oz View Post
That would be great of u Also any chance of night time shots of u know what ?
I intend doing some deepsky with the TEC110 but I don't expect it to show its best in that being unmodified but on the right target it could be interesting. I think also I may have to wait for the moon to start rising late.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2012, 05:37 AM
2stroke's Avatar
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

2stroke is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 816
Makes you really wonder why they would even put anti aliasing in a camera with 36mp to start with lol. Can't wait to see your images XD drooling already
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:07 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,057
I did a shoot today. This camera is totally spectacular.

I'll see if I can get some posted tomorrow. I am planning on taking more shots tomorrow of Sydney CBD/Opera House etc. I'll try for a few shots where you may expect a bit of moire.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,057
Sample photos

Here are 2 sample images.

Nikon D800E, tripod mounted, variable ND filter on the waterfall image,
Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8:

http://www.pbase.com/image/143115850


http://upload.pbase.com/image/143115850

Shot in RAW, converted in ViewNX2.

Love this camera!

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM
naskies's Avatar
naskies (Dave)
Registered User

naskies is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,865
Great photo, Greg. As a very happy Canon 5DmkII shooter who likes to make large prints, seeing the Nikon D800/D800E cameras has definitely made me go "hmmm".

The image quality of the 36 MP is certainly better than I'd expected. I had thought that the small pixels would mean a trade off with high noise levels / poor dynamic range, but the pics that I've seen so far don't seem to show this.

I'm too heavily invested in Canon lenses to make a switch, but if I were buying it all again I'd certainly be thinking...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 PM
bartman's Avatar
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

bartman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,968
Good onya Greg!
Hope your having fun!
BTW I'm having trouble finding the waterfall hehehehe.........
Cheers
Bartman
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
Great photo, Greg. As a very happy Canon 5DmkII shooter who likes to make large prints, seeing the Nikon D800/D800E cameras has definitely made me go "hmmm".

The image quality of the 36 MP is certainly better than I'd expected. I had thought that the small pixels would mean a trade off with high noise levels / poor dynamic range, but the pics that I've seen so far don't seem to show this.

I'm too heavily invested in Canon lenses to make a switch, but if I were buying it all again I'd certainly be thinking...
High ISO performance is excellent as well. Up to ISO6400 is normally useful and I think it will hold to ISO12800 but I haven't done that yet. I have shot ISO6400 and it worked fine.

The sensor scored the highest score ever for the DXO testing site. Dyanmic range is superb especially in shadow areas where you can recover detail like it was exposed properly.

I can't fault it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
Good onya Greg!
Hope your having fun!
BTW I'm having trouble finding the waterfall hehehehe.........
Cheers
Bartman
Sorry the images were mislabelled and the waterfall image not even uploaded. I was in a hurry to go out being late etc.

Here it is here:

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/143125357

I used a variable ND filter to get the waterfall to blur. Nikor 24-70mm and about 3 seconds ISO 100.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Adelastro1's Avatar
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

Adelastro1 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 401
Good on ya Greg. Nice first few shots there. My camera shop is raving over it too.

I pick up my 800E tomorrow!! I'm champing at the bit.

I'm off to Bordertown this weekend for Mother's day (and my 'secret' dark sky spot) so I'll be putting it through it's paces with my new lens kit - 14-24 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8, 500 f4, 105 f2.8 macro, Samyang 35 f1.4 and TC-1.7EII! Will have to try and make time for mum I guess too. haha. I'll be trying landscapes, wildlife, widefield astro, sunsets and macro shots.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelastro1 View Post
Good on ya Greg. Nice first few shots there. My camera shop is raving over it too.

I pick up my 800E tomorrow!! I'm champing at the bit.

I'm off to Bordertown this weekend for Mother's day (and my 'secret' dark sky spot) so I'll be putting it through it's paces with my new lens kit - 14-24 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8, 500 f4, 105 f2.8 macro, Samyang 35 f1.4 and TC-1.7EII! Will have to try and make time for mum I guess too. haha. I'll be trying landscapes, wildlife, widefield astro, sunsets and macro shots.

Exciting. This camera surpasses my already hyped up expectations and opens up a whole new field of possibilities with photography.

You've got a fabulous range of lenses there. Have fun.

Take a couple of photos of mum for mothers day!

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Adelastro1's Avatar
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

Adelastro1 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Exciting. This camera surpasses my already hyped up expectations and opens up a whole new field of possibilities with photography.

You've got a fabulous range of lenses there. Have fun.

Take a couple of photos of mum for mothers day!

Greg.

Will do! Already rubbing hands together and dribbling profusely with tongue out!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelastro1 View Post
Will do! Already rubbing hands together and dribbling profusely with tongue out!

Yes make sure you have some paper towels in your camera kit to handle the inevitable drool!

Greg.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 02:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement