Old 17-01-2007, 08:46 AM
TeZZa

Thank you all for your comments, a little background; I used to do tons of (film) photography, using mostly Olympus (mainly OM4Ti) and Nikons; (mainly F3). At the time I got seriously into macro stuff in the field; shooting fungi/flowers/insects and stuff, then I spent a few years traveling and obviously shot many rolls. Then, for some reason that I can't remember (or fathom!) I stopped; probably due to excessive work demands on my time. And suddenly 10 years have gone by and I don't even own a camera anymore... WTF! So, I guess, in theory I 'know' photography, I have played with digital cameras at working, shooting pack-shots mostly (Sony DSC-F707) and I have borrowed the camera for some 'field' work of my own and realised how much I enjoy photography... thus my search now for a camera that I can use, and will grow with me as I gain my photography feet again. What I don't want is to outgrow my camera, or to find that it can't do the stuff I want...

Again, thanks to all for contributing and sharing your thoughts/insights

I'll let you know which way I jump!
Old 18-01-2007, 08:45 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

Tezza I shoot professionally, and used to have about 25k of nikon gear.

A year ago I sold it all and went to Canon. I would not look back.

Nikon were great in the film days but these days it's all about the sensor and Canon have taken a massive stride in this area.

For your use I would buy the cheapest Canon body I could find, and get the best glass you can with the remainder.