Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 14-05-2022, 02:44 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Skywatcher Synscan Polar Alignment Routine

For those who have Skywatcher mounts ( EQ5 , AZEQ5 , HEQ5, AZEQ6, EQ6-R and EQ8-R ) and don’t realise the Synscan handcontroller has an inbuilt polar alignment feature , here is a procedure I put together a while back.
The method does not require a view of the South Celestial Pole.

All you need is a centering eye piece with crosshair or preferably use your capture software with frame , focus and centering view with crosshair on live view

I’ve used this method for over 4 years and is just as accurate as Polemaster

All I use is my old Canon 600D DSLR and BYEOS which has a really good live view ( no buffering or delay in exposures during centering )

Hope the above and attached is helpful for those interested

Cheers
Martin
Old 14-05-2022, 06:16 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Thanks Martin.
Old 15-05-2022, 09:16 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Mark,
Glad to help
Forgot to mention the above also includes the EQ6 and NEQ6 mounts

Cheers
Martin
Old 28-06-2022, 08:20 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I only just found this for some reason. Going to give it a go (whenever I get a clear night...)

Many thanks!
Old 29-06-2022, 07:31 PM
Hemi

It’s really good, it’s worked every time I’ve needed/required/used it.
It’s only marginally bettered by the celestron flavor.
Old 30-06-2022, 04:01 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Dylan O’Donnell recently had a video on his channel regarding the Synscan Polar Alignment routine.
He demonstrated a brief basic procedure ( the presentation was a bit fragmented but gave a general idea how it works )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hAK05cFsJIc

I’ve found there’s a few prerequisites in achieving tighter polar alignment with Synscan like the location of your selected polar alignment Star and turning off the Star Alignment Filter , using your capture software alignment screen with reticle and zoom feature so your PA Star is not a dot on your screen but a larger target for centering operations etc….
In most cases 2 to 3 iterations are required to achieve arc minute PA but this is dependent on sky conditions and the PA Star location. In some cases I’ve had to perform 3 to 5 iterations to achieve good PA

Folk who buy second hand Skywatcher mounts probably don’t receive a Synscan manual with it so generally wouldn’t know about this inbuilt PA feature on the HC

Cheers
Old 01-07-2022, 09:42 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Although I don't use it (I use the NINA or PHD2 PA routines) the Synscan Pro App (mobile or comp) includes the PA routine also:
Utility -> Advanced -> Polar Alignment

Also a heap of other useful bits there.

Neville
Old 06-07-2022, 07:09 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi Martin,

Dumb question - when going though the 2-Star Alignment / Polar Alignment routine, do you park the mount in between each set of alignments? (ie, 2-star align / polar align / park / 2-star align / polar align / etc)

If so, is there a way to return the mount to it's home position without having to power it off and reinitialise it each time?

I suspect I'm still doing things wrong (particularly when it comes to handing control over to the laptop and Kstars/Ekos - which is another set of questions!) - but slowly getting better with each night I work on it.

Thanks,
V

Last edited by AstroViking; 06-07-2022 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Strange line spacing
Old 08-07-2022, 08:54 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
Hi Martin,

Dumb question - when going though the 2-Star Alignment / Polar Alignment routine, do you park the mount in between each set of alignments? (ie, 2-star align / polar align / park / 2-star align / polar align / etc)

If so, is there a way to return the mount to it's home position without having to power it off and reinitialise it each time?

I suspect I'm still doing things wrong (particularly when it comes to handing control over to the laptop and Kstars/Ekos - which is another set of questions!) - but slowly getting better with each night I work on it.

Thanks,
V
Steve,
You don’t park the mount at all during the PA routine using the HC

Also the Synscan PA routine should not be used with PC direct method of mount control ( just use the HC on its own )
PC Direct method is where you use a remote software program to control the mount cabled through the HC ( a no no )

2 star alignment
Nominate one of the stars out of the 2 star alignment that’s closest to SCP as your PA Star
Commence Polar Alignment
After several iterations and your happy with PA error
Go to Utility and Park the Mount to the Home Position
Switch off the mount
Your PA alignment data will be saved in the HC memory for next time you start another imaging session using the HC
If using external software like EQMOD and a planetarium like Stellarium ( EQ Direct method ) without HC then your PA is set (as it’s a mechanical alignment and adjustment) so just start from Parked Home position as normal and use your remote system with laptop

If you decide using the HC to navigate Goto again make sure after it initialises and then asks you to “Start from Park Position” select Yes (1) as this is the saved alignment data.

Important !!!
You should not be using PC direct method of control ie using remote software cabled through the HC for PA routine or Alignment or Goto , this works but is not recommended
Once PA is completed with HC , you can unplug the HC and use EQ Direct method of remote telescope control direct cable laptop to mount

Hope the above makes sense

Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Synscan Hand Controller for Equatorial Mounts.pdf (65.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 08-07-2022, 11:07 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi Martin,

Thanks very much clarifying that. I'm happy to know that I was doing it correctly. :-) On my last attempt, I had the 2-star alignment error under 1 arc-minute. It took a large number of iterations, but I got there.

When we get some clear skies down here, I will try again.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by AstroViking; 08-07-2022 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Drunken line spacing...
Old 08-07-2022, 11:42 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

HI Martin , hope it's okay to jump in here. Just wondering why it is not recommended to use pc direct through the hand controller to the mount as skywatcher tout this method.
Thanks and cheers, Richard.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:39 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
HI Martin , hope it's okay to jump in here. Just wondering why it is not recommended to use pc direct through the hand controller to the mount as skywatcher tout this method.
Thanks and cheers, Richard.
Hi Richard,
Please read attached

Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EQMOD PC Direct or EQ Direct.pdf (93.7 KB, 164 views)
Old 08-07-2022, 12:58 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Richard,
Please read attached

Cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin
Old 08-07-2022, 01:49 PM
AstroViking (Steve)