Old 09-05-2022, 02:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Help with Asiair

I have to "old" Asiair.

I can not recall what stopped me setting it up but I didn't.. I can't recall if I had it running or not.

I know I bought this tablet to be able to use it and I notice the app is on this tablet and the card still stuck alongside the keyboard on my old lap top.

Step one I want a power supply, I have the little "12v-5V@3A DC Converter" that came in the box with the Asiair and wonder what to plug it into...I have a power box that says 240 volt to 12vlt - 1 A and wonder will this do?

I am surprised it says 1 A as it has a note on it saying "mount" so presumably I ran my mount with it..seems too low but realistically I know zip so that's why I ask if I can use it...now I have another power box which says +12.0V = 5.0A 60.0W which I bought for a camera, if that is what it takes, but I really don't want to buy yet another power box knowing I have a limitless supply stored somewhere...also Lismore is closed.

So will the first power box do the job..or for that matter the second one?

Also any links to how to set it up would be welcome..I have only started searching last night but all the videos deal with the pro or the plus...they are somewhat helpful but you know there may be special quirks with the original..one apparently is the WiFi which is very poor so if anyone knows how to get around that issue that would also be helpful...I am happy to sit in the observatory so remote is not the need to be satisfied ( although it would be nice) and note my interest comes about because I want to avoid buying another lap top..I have two but need three ( probably four when I use the Nikon software)..Asiair avoids using a lap top...I dont want to run multiple captures one one machine as I am setting each scope up to be a stand alone thing..no borrowing bits between them either.

I am going to get the Asiair plus also.. one lap top is getting rather clunky.

But I became aware that I was faced with the issue that if I want to have three, possibly four cameras capturing I need yet another lap top so multiple Asiair is not really extravagant...and also I want to try and keep moving with the times rather than stay in the past that old folk tend to do...however my age and background does limit me somewhat so please be patient...

Why so many scopes..well there is so little time being realistic and a perfect night is precious...so good subs and lots of them approach..also I am sick of break downs etc taking away a good imaging session...and my greatest joy is processing my images and I want enough to keep me going when getting into the observatory is denied to me...when I am in the old folks home I want to be occupied processing...I am not into bingo..

All my scopes are short focal length but when I get on top of the game I will set up something to do gallaxies.

Alex
Old 09-05-2022, 04:26 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Use the 5 amp 12v power supply to plug into the converter to ensure plenty of juice.

The ASIAirs are simply Raspberry PI devices and as such have pretty dismal wifi. But that's ok, they were designed to run autonomously and once you have set it up on an imaging run, just let it go, you can wander back anytime and reconnect to see how things are progressing.

The pro's are awesome - well worth investing in.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:42 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Jonathan.
Hopefully later today I can fit in testing it.
Alex
Old 10-05-2022, 11:08 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I don't get it..I called up the App on my tablet and it is for the Asiair pro.
I don't remember that at all????
Could it be that Asiair has up dated or something?
I will see if I can find the old app at Play store.
Alex
Old 10-05-2022, 12:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Trying but no success so far...
AND the chances of getting a new Asiair plus are not good.
Anyways with the weather it all seems a waste of time.
Alex
Old 10-05-2022, 01:07 PM
Dave882 (David)

Hi Alex- I’ve never used the original ASIAIR but it is possible (I’d say probable) the new app will still work with the older device. If you can go to your settings, and connect to the ASIAIR WiFi signal you may be able to connect and control it with your tablet. Be aware that the original ASIAIR does not do livestacking, it will just save the files to the SD card. You can then download those files to stack on the pc
Old 10-05-2022, 01:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks David...

I have had to put it away ( meds lunch etc..busy busy) but was very close in that settings said it was there, took the pass word but... anyways later.

It is a machine after all so there must be a way..a bit of time in the drawer in the dark may get it to behave itself.

As it was it ran me late on lunch ...now here is a tip..just that take away chicken left overs simmered in "Butter Chicken" sauce on sandwich made with toasted sour dough bread...perfect for moving forward.

I have been trying to buy a "plus" but no one knows when... back to the guitar and microscopes after I empty the rain gauge...mmm maybe just one more sandwich.

Alex