Old 24-04-2012, 04:28 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Calling all QHY8/QHY8pro users

The QHY8 seemed like a very popular choice a year or two back and it has been around for a while now. There must be dozens of people on the forum who have used this camera (and/or the pro version).

I opted for the QHY8pro version to get the temperature setpoint control as I was concerned about the temperature dropping too low at Astrofest where the ambient can drop below zero although I must admit I preferred the shape of the QHY8.

I've been using the camera for about 18 months now (when the weather permits) and have been happy with the images it produces.

I'm interested to hear what experience others have had?
Old 24-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Nice camera, I had the original, pretty much noise free, easy to use, never let me down.

Just didn't have the resolution when I downscaled from a 12 inch newt to a 5 inch refractor, so got the qhy9
Old 24-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I had one as well and it produced a couple of IOTWs here. I moved to mono for the narrowband option. I regret selling it but needed the cash to swap cameras.
Old 24-04-2012, 09:12 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I've heard there can be issues with moisture getting in and icing up the sensor on the pro version. Makes the temperature control pretty useless if you have to run it at above zero temperatures to prevent that. Not sure if it's a design issue or common.
Old 24-04-2012, 09:45 PM
allan gould

I had a QHY8 (original) for several years and during that time I did have an initial problem with the chip icing up but after talking to Theo I made sure I kept it in a dry environment (silica gel) and purchased a heating element to use with it. I had no problems thereafter.
I see you purchased a Pro model and i had heard that these were a design improvement over the straight 8 in that they had a sealed environment and that they were not prone to these problems that the original cameras had. I thought that this was such a better sealed system that since I also wanted a camera with smaller pixels I upgraded to a qhy10 camera. So far this new sealed system has worked as advertised and I'm pleased with it.
I wasn't aware that some had had problems with this new system, Troy. Is it due to bad machining or a slow leak around the screw in components? If this was an obvious problem then surely Qhy should stand behind their product and look carefully at the problem. I'm sure that from my previous interactions that Theo would rectify this potential problem as the only issue I really had with my Qhy8 was when the drivers got scrambled at Astrofest due to the power spikes and outages and Theo checked the camera quickly and efficiently and had it back to me within the week.
From my experience the Qhy10 hasn't shown this problem but it's currently in China getting a checkup.
Old 25-04-2012, 08:59 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Troy, I have had a couple of issues with dewing up - first on the front filter. The camera came with a heater ring to attach to the front t-threads however I found the heater tended to be warm on the side that connected to the flattener rather than the side attached to the camera so it didn't prevent the front filter dewing up. I build a heater ring out of resistors that fits around the 2" nosepiece on the front of the camera and haven't had this problem since.

The more recent issue I've seen is moisture forming on the CCD itself. I've tried drying the camera in dessicant however this was limited in its success. After discussing the problem with Theo he suggested cleaning the CCD surface with Acetone followed by purging the sealed chmaber with Argon. I have purchased a couple of cylinders of argon and performed this routine a number of times now It works for a while however it seems that moisture makes its way back in over time.

There seems to be three possible leak paths - 1. where the electronics from the CCD pass through the back of the sealed chamber, 2. the screwed connection where the nosepiece attaches to the body and 3. around the front filter. I notice the newer versions of the QHY cameras come with a port in the chamber to attach a dessicant plug. I assume this feature was incorporated to address moisture getting into the sealed chamber.

I've sent the camera back to Theo and he has checked the seal at the rear of the chamber and around the front filter so it appears the leak is in the threads where the nosepiece attaches to the camera body. I've raised a ticket on the QHY help system and they recommend putting vaseline in the threads to help seal the chamber. This process is going to get very messy as it will all need to be done inside an argon filled plastic bag if I want the chamber to remain dry (there is no point sealing moisture inside the chamber).

I've asked Theo if he could get a new nosepiece for the camera with the dessicant port as this would reduce the need to open the front of the camera up and allow use of a dessicant plug. He is looking into it.
Old 25-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Peter, would an o ring from a watch help seal the thread? Also, I remember using those dessicant strips theo has at some stage. Cutting them into small pieces and sticking them in with a drop of superglue.
Old 25-04-2012, 09:10 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I have had my 8 for a while. The old model. I have a 9 as well now. I always dry mine after each use, open and blow dry them. Always keep the dessicant blue. Love the hardware but can't say the same for the drivers. They suck.
Old 25-04-2012, 09:34 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Peter, would an o ring from a watch help seal the thread? Also, I remember using those dessicant strips theo has at some stage. Cutting them into small pieces and sticking them in with a drop of superglue.
The main body threaded joint does have a seal (looks like a very thin delrin ring) however I suspect it deforms so it does not provide an effective seal. A better design would have been to machine a recess for a proper o-ring however I doubt this could be done now. I don't think an o-ring in place of the delrin ring would work without a recess as it would sit too high in the joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I have had my 8 for a while. The old model. I have a 9 as well now. I always dry mine after each use, open and blow dry them. Always keep the dessicant blue. Love the hardware but can't say the same for the drivers. They suck.
Marc, I assume you are referring to the external dessicant pack in the pelican case? I've been keeping the camera ina pelican case with dessicant when not in use however there is no port to open on this model so once the moisture gets in it tends to stay in there unless you open the front up. I'm trying to avoid opening it up as it introduces dust. I haven't had any issues with the new drivers however I use Nebulosity so don't need the ascom driver.
Old 25-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Poita (Peter)

I don't have any driver issues, I use nebulosity as well.
As long as I keep the dessicant charged and use the heating ring, it never ices up at all.

Do you use the heater ring?
Old 25-04-2012, 09:56 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Marc, I assume you are referring to the external dessicant pack in the pelican case? I've been keeping the camera ina pelican case with dessicant when not in use however there is no port to open on this model so once the moisture gets in it tends to stay in there unless you open the front up. I'm trying to avoid opening it up as it introduces dust. I haven't had any issues with the new drivers however I use Nebulosity so don't need the ascom driver.
On the old 8 the nose piece seals the camera. I don't know about the new models. Yes it's the external heatbox. For the 9 there are two SS dessicant plugs at the back. I always store both cameras opened in sealed cases with heatboxes. I bought some alu dessicant boxes on ebay and drilled the sides so I can empty/reload the balls. I microwave them 10s and they turn blue straight away then put them back in the plugs. I won't start about the drivers as I have nothing nice to say.
Old 25-04-2012, 11:39 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I don't have any driver issues, I use nebulosity as well.
As long as I keep the dessicant charged and use the heating ring, it never ices up at all.

Do you use the heater ring?
I've tried the factory heater ring however all the heat seems to transfer to the coma corrector rather than the front of the camera. If you look at how the ring is built you'll find the resistors are on the side of the pc board that faces the female t thread. I've made my own heater ring that sits around the nose piece of the camera and this works well at keeping dew of the front filter however I'm seeing dew form on the ccd instead.
Old 25-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Rastas

Moisture

This really is a major fault with the QHY range of cameras it would seem and it would be about time that QHY actually did some serious efforts into overcoming it. Its not too hard to see what the small amount of moisture can doo to the PCBs of these cameras in a short time (see attached image).
At a minimum all cameras should be supplied with well sealed systems as SBIG etc do and have the ability to add a desicant port for owner maintenance which doesnt involve stripping down the camera and exposing the chip and board to possible damage. I realise this feature has been added to some recent cameras but it still seems that there is something odd in the design of these cameras in that it is a recurring problem with even the newer products. This is not the case with such cameras as Starlight Xpress, Atic, QSI etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (water.jpg)
171.1 KB122 views
Old 25-04-2012, 12:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Is this a QHY8 pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
This really is a major fault with the QHY range of cameras it would seem and it would be about time that QHY actually did some serious efforts into overcoming it. Its not too hard to see what the small amount of moisture can doo to the PCBs of these cameras in a short time (see attached image).
At a minimum all cameras should be supplied with well sealed systems as SBIG etc do and have the ability to add a desicant port for owner maintenance which doesnt involve stripping down the camera and exposing the chip and board to possible damage. I realise this feature has been added to some recent cameras but it still seems that there is something odd in the design of these cameras in that it is a recurring problem with even the newer products. This is not the case with such cameras as Starlight Xpress, Atic, QSI etc.
Old 25-04-2012, 12:25 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Is this a QHY8 pro?
The CCD looks too small in comparison to the PCB in this image to be the QHY8pro.
Old 25-04-2012, 12:36 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
The CCD looks too small in comparison to the PCB in this image to be the QHY8pro.
I do hope it's not a 9. The CCD chamber is supposed to be sealed.
Old 25-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
I've tried the factory heater ring however all the heat seems to transfer to the coma corrector rather than the front of the camera. If you look at how the ring is built you'll find the resistors are on the side of the pc board that faces the female t thread. I've made my own heater ring that sits around the nose piece of the camera and this works well at keeping dew of the front filter however I'm seeing dew form on the ccd instead.
I have the ring before the nosepiece.
Old 25-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Rastas

Quote:
I do hope it's not a 9. The CCD chamber is supposed to be sealed.
Yes this was from a QHY 9c as on the QHY forum
Ive attached another photo if your interested. I dont think the owner was too impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (water2.jpg)
137.2 KB114 views
Old 25-04-2012, 01:06 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
Yes this was from a QHY 9c as on the QHY forum
Ive attached another photo if your interested. I dont think the owner was too impressed.
That's terrible. I'm going to have to open mine and check the pins just to be on the safe side.
Old 25-04-2012, 01:43 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Ive never seen that before and I know that the QHY9M has a dual sealed chamber set up. The primary chamber is around the sensor itself is fully sealed, the secondary chamber isn't so sealed but like Marc said they provide 2 options, dry air nipple to circulate dry air though the secondary chamber and a desiccant plug. There is also a inbuilt heater.

The only time I had a icing issue was before i kept the qhy9 in a pelican case with rechargeable desiccant packs. I've had it in the fridge just recently to do -35 and -40 deg darks for a upcoming trip where i know the ambient temp will be around the 0 deg mark. There wasn't a frosting issue in sight and it was at those temperatures for 3 days in the fridge.

All in all the qhy's are a great for beginners using high end chips and offering great features. Yes they need to work on their drivers, but in my case i have no issues as i have the original drivers... if it aint broke don't fix! there is very little in the astro world that doesn't require lots of love to make it work properly unless you spend $$$ and then everything is already done for you.