Old 15-12-2005, 09:51 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGuy

Now whats this about you loaning your 300 2.8 ?

Terry
Check out this thread all will be clear
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...6&page=2&pp=20

Bert
Old 16-12-2005, 01:08 AM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

G'day Bert, would they do a "2 for the price of 1" deal

I would love the spare one thanks, sounds like an awsome bit of machinery.
Old 16-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Regarding using the LCD to focus...yes it's true that it will heat up your chip adding noise...so all you do is dont leave the focus screen on too long....same as the reason you dont leave preview on as it will warm up your chip after every shot....and if you do allow a minute before taking your shot...It takes me about 10 seconds to focus..that's it.

I can zoom in 10X mag and get a real close look at the star to focus on.

On the Japan website and in the manual they state try not to use the LCD for 30 seconds or longer and if so let it cool for a further 30 seconds before taking the shot.

I will continue using live focus while everyone else is complaining how hard it is to focus.

Paul(1ponders) was shown how easy it is to focus and I'm sure he agree's that it's a worthy addition exspecialy if you dont have a laptop to use focusing software on and I dont see any noise being a problem in my images....so if you have a 20DA use it. dont let all these 300D and 350D owners talk you out of it...there just jealous...lol

Back to you Bert....go with the 5D on the basis I already have a 20DA and would love to see the mod 5D in action.
Old 16-12-2005, 07:16 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Definately go with the 5D Bert, if you have the funds....
Old 17-12-2005, 09:46 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
Regarding using the LCD to focus...yes it's true that it will heat up your chip adding noise...so all you do is dont leave the focus screen on too long....same as the reason you dont leave preview on as it will warm up your chip after every shot....and if you do allow a minute before taking your shot...It takes me about 10 seconds to focus..that's it.

I can zoom in 10X mag and get a real close look at the star to focus on.

On the Japan website and in the manual they state try not to use the LCD for 30 seconds or longer and if so let it cool for a further 30 seconds before taking the shot.

I will continue using live focus while everyone else is complaining how hard it is to focus.
I agree with you Tony, Live focus is awesome and it's one of the reasons I bought the 20Da.

Old 17-12-2005, 04:06 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Camera ordered, in stock, paid for, on it's way. Should get here before Christmas. There goes the weather for a few months.

Bert
Old 17-12-2005, 04:52 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

this is what is so great about this forum. I feel like i am getting a canon 5d. As soon as i saw you had ordered it, i was really excited.

it is so much more fun with friends to share your experiences with!
Old 17-12-2005, 06:31 PM
acropolite (Phil)

DP said
Quote:
I feel like i am getting a canon 5d
You're easily pleased DP, I'm just plain jealous, I'd love a 5D, just can't work out how to get an extra $3k past the minister. Good luck with the new purchase Bert, look forward to hearing your opinion on the 5D.
Old 22-12-2005, 04:32 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Got a letter from Express Post with two Customs forms (is this normal?). Faxed off both forms and will go to Tullamarine tomorrow pay the GST and fees. Hopefully will have the modded 5D before Christmas. Will post two pics of same object taken with the 20D and 5DH (H for Hutech modded) under identical conditions. Any suggestions?

Bert
Old 22-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Bert....customs have had a few changes recently....I also received all these forms today asking for GST and a customs fee plus all the details from the seller and myself...So I went into customs myself at Brisbane Airport today to explain to them I dont need to pay these fee's as per "buying over the internet" page on the goverment Custom web page it was under the $1000 limit...only just though...lol....I showed them the costing from emails and my account and took the parcel immediatley without paying for anything or filling out forms.

In your case you will have to fill out these forms due to the cost or value of the item you are importing.
Old 22-12-2005, 04:52 PM
avandonk
avandonk

I was just surprised, as when I bought the Canon 300mm Fluorite, FedEx rang me a said We need 10% gst and $49 and did it over the phone. And it arrived the next day. It could be because this is new and the other was second hand.
Anyway as long as everything is correct.

Bert
Old 22-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Yep...like I said they are under going some changes.....I too have normaly just fixed up the carrier for any duties and fee's but it looks like Customs are trying to change the system requiring more info of the customers.
Old 22-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

The most logical reason would be that you received my fake letters actualy redirecting your 5DH camera to my house.....lol
Old 22-12-2005, 06:32 PM
avandonk
avandonk

It must be the first one in the country? I will ask Hutech. Years ago I had the fastest computer in the country (for one week), it ran at 1.4GHz.

Bert
Old 22-12-2005, 06:54 PM
CometGuy

Bert,

Can you try a 10second tripod shot of Orion with a 50mm lens at ISO1600 and raw mode? Can you upload the raw file somewhere if you have webspace (or email it to terryjlovejoy@yahoo.com), I'd love to have a look ?

Terry
Old 22-12-2005, 06:57 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGuy
Bert,

Can you try a 10second tripod shot of Orion with a 50mm lens at ISO1600 and raw mode? Can you upload the raw file somewhere if you have webspace (or email it to terryjlovejoy@yahoo.com), I'd love to have a look ?

Terry
No problems. I always shoot raw as well JPG is ?
The raw file on a 5D is 12.9MB

bert
Old 23-12-2005, 10:40 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

I can't wait for your review Bert, i hope it's a ripper as i have just jumped in the deep end and ordered mine from Hutech.

I think i will tell the missus it was on special at a once only run out price.

Come to think of it, i think i will keep telling myself that
Old 23-12-2005, 11:57 PM
CometGuy

OK guys, looks like you are going to have a very merry Christmas!

Anyway, just to prepare you for your modified cameras heere is Orion (12 x 3 minute exposures) made from suburb Thornlands in Brisbane on December 20th. Note no light pollution filters were used:

http://www.pbase.com/image/53879628

You should get a lot better results with the 5DH + dark sky (and/or Nebula filter)

Terry
Old 24-12-2005, 12:08 AM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Awsome image Terry, i also like the 50mm version.
Old 24-12-2005, 10:12 AM
avandonk
avandonk

After a lot of mucking around with customs yesterday (fri) have finally got the modded 5D. Yes you guessed it cloudy all night. I have to go to a family Christmas do tonight at one of my brother's place on the Yarra north of Warrandyte has reasonable dark sky. Will try to take some tripod exposures, including Terry's request 10s 50mm ISO 1600 at various apertures with both cameras.

Took some pics of the back yard and all have a nice red cast. The jpg's are between 4 and 10 M depending on detail.Heres one. Note the pink? clouds

Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (p1.jpg)
127.3 KB27 views