Old 21-04-2021, 01:24 PM
bojan
amateur

Canon 60D -> 60Da

Yesterday there was this 60D on ebay for $200.. The seller said it was faulty (significant dust between sensor and filter). Ideal specimen for modification.

It arrived today, without dust specks, they were were gone (or shaken out of sensor) :-)
I already have 60D for 9 years, and it was my initial intention to modify it since I wasn't using it much (it is somewhat bulky).

Now, a question: Should I remove all filters, or only IR filter and leave the front (dust) filter and ultrasound shaker in place?

Anyway, my 450D(a) will go to retirement it seems...

Last edited by bojan; 21-04-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 21-04-2021, 03:27 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Yesterday there was this 60D on ebay for $200.. The seller said it was faulty (significant dust between sensor and filter). Ideal specimen for modification.

It arrived today, without dust specks, they were were gone (or shaken out of sensor) :-)
I already have 60D for 9 years, and it was my initial intention to modify it since I wasn't using it much (it is somewhat bulky).

Now, a question: Should I remove all filters, or only IR filter and leave the front (dust) filter and ultrasound shaker in place?

Anyway, my 450D(a) will go to retirement it seems...
Hi Bojan,

I would be inclined to try to remove the IR filter only and keep the dust cover in place as a basic protection to the sensor unless it causes you any issues such as:

1. loose fit due to removal of IR filter (but it should be possible to pack that out, maybe even 3D print a neat spacer if required) or

2. if it introduces any secondary reflections more noticeable perhaps due to the wider bandwidth (who knows? - test)

On the issue of 3D printing you could also re-use the IR filter to return the camera back to normal function when required by 3D printing a holder for it allowing for placement in front of the mirror box/behind the lens mount, as I think I have seen you do before for another possibly round? filter.

Best
JA
Old 21-04-2021, 04:57 PM
bojan
amateur

Yep, thanks for your reply :-)
I removed that filter from 450D and all was OK, but I needed to clean the sensor glass more often... this time I will leave it in place.
BTW, "new" camera has slightly lover noise (dark taken @ISO1280, 30 sec).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Comparison_old_new.jpg)
112.3 KB31 views
Old 24-01-2024, 12:56 PM
bojan
amateur

Done today my 60D, after 3 years of postponing (for no good reason.. except I had 450D modified already so there was no rush)...

It took me ~1 hour (a bit more in total actually because I was frequently consulting instructions (https://kolarivision.com/diy-infrare...sion-tutorial/).
The most useful tool were templates, downloadable from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxc9C1UrVVs.

Now, I need some clear skies :-)
Old 24-01-2024, 02:24 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
The most useful tool were templates, downloadable from here:
Hi Bojan,

That's a great idea and so much easier than using memory, especially if you leave and come back to the job a while/days later.

Best
JA
Old 24-01-2024, 05:42 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I'm with JA on leave dust filter in place and remove only the IR unit.
It seems like you got an extremely good buy.
I recently picked up a near new Tele Vue 5X Powermate for an amazing bargain because the owner didn't know whether dust spots in images were the the telescope, the sensor or the Powermate. It turned out the Powermate did have minor dust spots but they cleaned up instantly with no effort.
I haven't been able to try it except for the other night when I shoved my Vixen 12mm Lanthanum eyepiece in (RC8), slewed to the moon and couldn't obtain focus.
Hmm, only 800 times magnification factor I have no idea what I did wrong?
Yes, I'm an IDIOT!