Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 16-09-2006, 10:08 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

Differences between a modded and unmodded camera

Hi guys,

I'm leaning towards either modding my camera or buying another 350D and get that modded. What percentage would you rate a modded version in terms of collecting photon's? say 50% more photon's than an unmodded version ?
Old 17-09-2006, 08:00 AM
CometGuy

Eric,

There is a not a lot of difference at the blue/green part of the spectrum (maybe 10% better) but the gap increases to 100% improvement in the red part of the spectrum. H-Alpha sensitivity is improved more than 4x.

Many astronomical objects emit light across a wide range of wavelengths (including stars) so close to 50% overall improvement is about the right order. Keep in mind some objects (like reflection nebula and some comets) don't see any real benefit.

Interestingly if you don't replace the filter the Infrared sensitivity is far better (1 or 2 orders of magnitude) and even the blue and green pixels are sensitivity to it. Its normal to use an astronomical IR/UV block filter to replace the standard filter to prevent IR from effecting the colour balance.

Terry
Old 17-09-2006, 09:33 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Eric, check out my IR filter thread to get an idea of what happens without and with an IR filter for colour balance. If you are shooting in mono eg Ha, O III this mightn't be a problem as you will be filtering out the IR anyway, but shooting in colour may well cause you problems. While I am using a webcam the principle will still be the same.
Old 17-09-2006, 01:40 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

cheers guys very helpful information. So if it is the red spectrum that it has a major impact on, an unmodded camera shouldnt have any issues shooting galaxies and star clusters?

The way i see it is that the major advantage would be just nebula's from a modded camera?
Old 17-09-2006, 01:53 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Eric, check out Terry's website for a very comprehensive coverage of the pros and cons and different ways to modify you canon. (site map view)
Old 18-09-2006, 12:14 AM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

gee;s great photo's terry suberb. you wouldnt happen to do "personal" modifications? . What i really want is to be able to still take normal photo's as well without any sort of defects. is there any way rather than me emptying my pocket for another camera? thanks for the link paul.