Old 05-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Chrissyo (Chris)
Is always sleepy

What the were THOSE?!

I have just come inside from seeing two very strange objects!

First Strange Object: I had just gotten outside, and set my scope up. I pointed it at Saturn, and had a look through the finderscope to see if I was on target. Sure enough, Saturn was right there where it should be, however I noticded a small bright light beside it. Whatever it was, it was on the move. Heading upwards towards overhead, I kept tracking it with my dob following it in the finderscope (it wasn't visible by the naked eye). Eventually I stoped following it. My guess- a satellite, as it was still not 100% dark (Ie/ Very late afternoon).

Anyway, after seeing that I was thinking "hah, thats my weird observation of the night. I had a better look at Saturn, video'd it, moved to the great Neb of Orion, video'd it. Then to Eta Carina (I think? Still new, so it might not be what I think it is. Between the southern cross and the false cross?). After videoing it, the phone rang, it was my mate I had asked to call me re. some plans. Because the home phone is a cordless, while talking I randomly looked around. When he left, I decided to come back inside for a while. Before I leave though, I have a little fun and do what I call "pot luck" where I put the 9mm eyepiece in, and randomly scan the sky to see if anything cool pops up. Surely enough, something did...

Second Strange Object: I had the scope somewhere near the milky way. It was still, because I thought I had spied a small cluster or something. Suddenly, a bright flash of light appeared flew across the field of view, and disapearred. (this happend extremly rapidly as it was the 9mm). It seemed to be moving alot faster then the first object, though it looked exactly the same though a little brighter. This could simply be due to the fact that I was using a higher magnifaction.

Any thoughts? I assume they were both satellites, though the second one reminded me more of a shooting star, which I find to be quite unlikely. Or, could it be something more sinister?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:48 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Yeah first one was likely a satellite. The second could be a meteor or it might have been a plane that flashed through your field of view.

I have to say that in 30 years of observing the stars and the skies in general I have never seen a UFO, not that I don't want to. Some of my firends swear they have seen strange objects in the sky and from their description, they sound extremely plausible. However, that being said, most things that can be seen in the sky at night are usually explainable.

Though you might have been one of those lucky people who have witnessed another civilisation paying us a zoo like visit.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Mick (Michael)

Hello Chrissyo, the first object was probably a satellite and the second may have been an Iridium satellite flare or a Meteorite. You can check out satellites at heavens-above
Old 05-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Chrissyo (Chris)
Is always sleepy

Paul- I am 100% sure it wasn't an aeroplane, as after I saw it, I looked up to check.

Also, I don't think it was a UFO I was just kidding around before.