Old 23-01-2022, 11:03 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

At last a darker sky.

So we took the short trek out of the suburbs last night and experienced some fairly stable viewing conditions at Jarrahdale, WA.
We being three novices with our very amateur gear, we were soon racing each other to find the next target.
I was pleasantly surprised at how crisp my view was and the contrast l was getting with my GSO Superview 15 and 20mm EP's giving me x60 and x80 magnification respectfully. I did break out the 5mm Orion Edge On Planetary EP for some x240 magnification on the moon at the end of the night.
Orion Neb. Was a stand out, as was 47Tuc. I need to read up on filters but l did use both a polarising and a blue filter on the moon to cut the glare. Slowly learning.
Unfortunately my computer battery didn't last very long and l didn't have a hardcopy list of objects to search for in my Stellarium phone app so we just looked around the sky until the moon came up about 10:30 and called it a night.
Pleasant night out with mates, well worth the effort.
R.

Last edited by Rod-AR127; 23-01-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 24-01-2022, 08:45 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

There’s nothing like getting out under decent skies Rod. You’ve been spoiled now mate. Don’t forget to take your time really looking at each object for a while. You’ll be surprised what extra detail is there. Having said that, part of the fun is star hopping from charts. Talk about a pressure situation having a race to find the next object lol.