Old 12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
plugger (Andrew)

Lunar eclipse image processing advice

Hey all,

I spent Saturday night imaging the lunar eclipse and I've got over 500 images. I was wondering what processing any of you might recommend to bring out more details in the images. I used my EOS 450D so I've got RAW (CR2) as well as JPEG images. I basically just took as many photos as I could using different ISO and shutter speed settings throughout the eclipse.

I was considering using RegiStax to try to produce some sharper images. Can someone let me know if it's advisable to attempt to stack images taken with different ISO and exposure settings? I'm also assuming I should break down the images based on time and process these batches individually. What I was thinking was attempting to sharpen images taken over a 5 minute period to produce a composite of that 5 minutes.

Any advice would be appreciated folks. I must say I'm pretty excited about this, I've got a few good photos on my hands and I'm thinking with a bit of processing I can really bring out some more details.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugger View Post
Hey all,

I spent Saturday night imaging the lunar eclipse and I've got over 500 images. I was wondering what processing any of you might recommend to bring out more details in the images. I used my EOS 450D so I've got RAW (CR2) as well as JPEG images. I basically just took as many photos as I could using different ISO and shutter speed settings throughout the eclipse.

I was considering using RegiStax to try to produce some sharper images. Can someone let me know if it's advisable to attempt to stack images taken with different ISO and exposure settings? I'm also assuming I should break down the images based on time and process these batches individually. What I was thinking was attempting to sharpen images taken over a 5 minute period to produce a composite of that 5 minutes.

Any advice would be appreciated folks. I must say I'm pretty excited about this, I've got a few good photos on my hands and I'm thinking with a bit of processing I can really bring out some more details.

Cheers,

Andrew
if they were taken close together and there is bugger all movement i use a package called photomatix pro - that and Pixinsight and then photoshop. that is what i used to get this image last year
Old 13-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Poita (Peter)

I was wondering the same thing, I have batches of twenty-thirty images, and wondering whether it is worth trying to stack them or not?