Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-03-2011, 07:08 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review: Celestron CPC800 8" SCT

David Roser (Newtownian) has kindly written a thorough review of the Celestron CPC800 8" SCT.

You can read the review on the IceInSpace Equipment Reviews page, or directly by clicking on the link below.

Celestron CPC800 8" SCT

Thanks to David for writing the review. You can contribute reviews and articles too! We'd love to receive them. Have a read of Write for IceInSpace and get in touch!
Old 25-03-2011, 07:16 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review uploaded.
Old 26-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Brundah1 (David)
Oh! No! More Clouds!

"Your best telescope is the one easy to use and gets used often" (acknowledgements to David Levy).

Real life experience, the CPC800 has those qualities in spades.

A thing of beauty and a joy to use.

Very good review.

David
Old 26-03-2011, 11:48 PM
h45e (Anthony)

What do you think about the 9" one? bigger is better in the city?
Old 28-03-2011, 03:24 AM
ColHut (Colin)

Thanks for the review. It seems a lot of cash but you seem to have actually gotten what you really needed in a very convenient bundle. That is what this is all about.

Regards and best wishes
Old 21-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Newtownian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h45e View Post
What do you think about the 9" one? bigger is better in the city?
I've debated that a few times with myself.

You always want a bigger mirror. I think this is most critical for what I do for DSOs - but if you really want to look at them there are other ways to optimise things. My compromise is really a combination of good size mirror plus good portability.

In the end it comes down to the weight of the telescope which is 40 lbs in old units for the 8" but nearly 60 lb I think for the 9.25". This isnt trivial. As I think I mentioned baggage handlers limit their weight and if the dont they risk ruining one's back.

The 8" is still pretty heavy to lug around a position even in the backyard which is why people use trolleys sometimes.
Old 21-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Newtownian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColHut View Post
Thanks for the review. It seems a lot of cash but you seem to have actually gotten what you really needed in a very convenient bundle. That is what this is all about.

Regards and best wishes
Agreed the cost is an issue. But since I wrote this I find the extra convenience means I hardly ever use my 12" lightbridge even though its more powerful.

The reasons are:
- finding and tracking makes things much easier especially when you are being social with these things - the 'quick have a look bit' is lame.
- if you cant get to the country that much, time is precious and the convenience of transport is part of that story - because its so easy for the weather to disappoint.
- Aligning a Dob is a big pain in the neck still for me - the CPC doesnt pose this problem.
- Even in the backyard the above apply.
- An additional very recent criterion - I just bought some binocular viewers. They are excellent with the CPC but dont work with the lightbridge (review in the pipeline) and even if they did the tracking is essential to get the best from them.
Old 21-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Newtownian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundah1 View Post
"Your best telescope is the one easy to use and gets used often" (acknowledgements to David Levy).
I totally agree and its what I have found the hard way. Not that the other's are bad units. I am convinced the Cassegrains are excellent if you can afford them.

I gather you have had good experiences with yours too.

Nevertheless I guess we still would love a 14" Cassegrain that weighed 5kg and fitted in your pocket.