Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2022, 10:37 AM
atalas

RoboFocuser won't connect to PC anymore

Hey guys

So, my Robo Focuser decided It doesn't want to connect to PC anymore and I haven't been able to solve the issue .....hopefully someone here can help?

Last edited by atalas; 12-05-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:21 PM
Meow (Dale)

What’s changed? Using the same serial - usb converter?
Old 12-05-2022, 04:52 PM
atalas

Well, nothing changed before It decided It didn't want to connect to the pc but I have changed the RS 232 to USB to a higher quality Trip-lite.

Bit more history.

Was using a Prolific RS 232 which worked fine for a couple of weeks before the issue arose.

After some research decided to buy the Trip-Lite RS232 because all the reviews on It were positive.

The Trip-Lite RS232/USB worked fine for a couple of weeks and then the same (port not open)issue arose again.

Now, since the new RS232 converter started having the problem as well It did connect a couple of times but then wouldn't connect again the next day and since.

I've also tried other cables and PC connector to RS232/USB....also another pc but still a no go.

The problem is only PC connect...... works fine manually and still configures as It should.

I'm starting to think that It might be the Robo controller module Itself.....that would be a bummer.

Oh, also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Robo software and drivers.

Last edited by atalas; 12-05-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:26 PM
Meow (Dale)

If worried about the converter, try another e.g. give a cheapy Aten UC232A. They work well…
Also, check the female pins on the Robo unit in case one is fully depressed. Jaycar sell some nice Deoxit too to give the pins a clean and gold coat… same on the male phone plug end.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/deoxit-con...n-kit/p/NS1436
Old 12-05-2022, 06:48 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I had a situation recently where my Primaluce Labs ESATTO Motorised Focuser would not Register as a COM Port at power up, with the USB3 cable plugged into a USB3 Port on my Pegasus Ultimate Power Box V2. I also had a 12V DC supply to the ESATTO.

If I then unplugged the cable from one USB3 Port to another adjacent USB3 Port on the UPBv2, it would then register and the COM Port appeared in Device Manager and I was good to go (indoors test due to the foul weather).

When I then plugged the ESATTO USB3 cable into Port 1 of the UPBv2 everything worked okay and the COM Port registered at power up.

So, the COM Port did not Register at power on when connected to either Port 3 or Port 4 USB3 Ports on the UPBv2, but it did Register on Port 1.

I wonder if you have something similar going on?

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (R5-R5_A2408-Crop-1600.jpg)
184.8 KB28 views
Old 12-05-2022, 07:42 PM
atalas

Dennis thanks for the reply....RS232 always registers com port in device manager with either RS232 converters and doesn't seem to make a difference If plugged straight into pc or usb powered hub.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:55 PM
atalas

Dale, after reading your last reply I cleaned the terminals(RJ12)(DB9)on Robo controller with alcohol but that didn't work.

Now, what I did notice is that one of the pins on the DB9 coming from the motor was depressed and so I pushed It back out and now the Robo connected to the pc.....that pin has no wiring to It.... assumed It's not used but I guess I assume wrong.....what do they say about assumptions being the mother of?

Thanks for the help guys appreciated.

ps. too scared to turn It off now
Old 12-05-2022, 09:19 PM
Meow (Dale)

Happy days. Least we could do, esp. after all your free AP photoshop tutorials/vids over the years. Enjoy