Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2022, 03:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I wish...

I raised it sometime ago but now playing around with f2.2 I started thinking about this again..I wish someone would seize the curved sensor technology and make a camera or a whole imaging unit at f2.2. with a suitable curved sensor.

It would be an absolute game changer and whoever does first it will send all the competitors broke I bet.

It would be amazing.

I wonder how one could make it happen...I doubt if one could get ones hands on a curved sensor..plus I think the ones they probably have are being developed for camera lens, refractir style, not a mirror set up..each wouldcrequire opposite curves I think???

I wonder if you could lay a curved piece of glass on the sensor to achieve the effect?

Alex
Old 10-05-2022, 03:27 PM
leon

All new inventions started with an idea Alex, you have the idea now all you have to do is make it happen, nice one mate.

Leon
Old 10-05-2022, 03:48 PM
JohnF (John)

Some Cassegrains with Hyperstar will photograph at F2. Guess you Knew that. Think my C925 will do that, photograph at F2, but I cant afford the Hyperstar.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:48 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I raised it sometime ago but now playing around with f2.2 I started thinking about this again..I wish someone would seize the curved sensor technology and make a camera or a whole imaging unit at f2.2. with a suitable curved sensor.

It would be an absolute game changer and whoever does first it will send all the competitors broke I bet.

It would be amazing.

I wonder how one could make it happen...I doubt if one could get ones hands on a curved sensor..plus I think the ones they probably have are being developed for camera lens, refractir style, not a mirror set up..each wouldcrequire opposite curves I think???

I wonder if you could lay a curved piece of glass on the sensor to achieve the effect?

Alex
The ultimate dream when I was a fledgling astrophotographer in the early 80's....

Get a field flattener and an FLI Kepler 6060 at the prime focus of THAT!

...you'll have to find one first though

Believe it or not, with somewhat unrealistic, late teen, enthusiasm, my mate and I, in the mid 80's were determined to make our own 10" F2.2 (true) Schmidt camera...we got the optics, a 12" spherical mirror and 10" BK7 optical flat, polished on one side, with front and back faces parallel to 1/1000"...aaaaand still have them, never completed it

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 11-05-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:29 PM
gregbradley

Sony has a curved CMOS sensor that is patented. It hasn't been released yet.

Greg.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Some Cassegrains with Hyperstar will photograph at F2. Guess you Knew that. Think my C925 will do that, photograph at F2, but I cant afford the Hyperstar.
My RASA is f2.2 ..close enough?
Alex
Old 10-05-2022, 05:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
All new inventions started with an idea Alex, you have the idea now all you have to do is make it happen, nice one mate.

Leon
Leon you would not believe the inventions I "saw" and people say pity you missed out on the cash but my entire satisfaction comes from seeing that my idea was not crazy.

In real estate common practice now is to provide the potential vendor with a folder explaining everything ...there was a point where all an agent would do when asked for a Market Appraisal was to write the price on the back of his business card..guess who changed all that

I got into computers before everyone and so I could "type" out ten pages of stuff as to what we do, how we securely look after keys, why have a sign etc etc all with the vendors name and address on each page..need,less to say it appeared that I had typed those pages and so I would get the listing hands down until the competition had to follow ...but honestly I was first.
But that invention made me a fortune and established a healthy reputation..what more could I want.

Plus some interesting legal things that I can't go I to.

I hope you and Alice are well.

Alex
Old 10-05-2022, 05:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
The ultimate dream when I was a fledgling astrophotographer in the early 80's....

Get a field flattener and an FLI Kepler 6060 at the prime focus of THAT!

...you'll have to find one first though

Believe it or not, with somewhat unrealistic, late teen, enthusiasm, my mate and I, in the mid 80's were determined to make our own 10" F2.2 (true) Schmidt camera...we got the optics, a 12" spherical mirror and 10" BK7 optical flat ...aaaaand still have them, never completed it

Mike
That is fantastic now all we need do is get our hands on a curved sensor..

Heck I honestly can not understand why some company is not on to this to get some of those military dollars... if it is better the military will buy it..they must be working on it..if not shame shame shame...

Anyways this could be the million dollar fun ticket..a fortune and reputation is within our grasp...

You would remember the flash 12 inch Meade FILM astro graph.. first time I had heard the term..that had a curved plate for the film..it was the pinicle of astro photography back then I thought and why this concept has not been jumped on I just don't know.

I did write to zwo and said it would be a good idea but they said they were not interested..which going on many earlier experiences of having an idea stolen may have them even now working on the idea..I hope so..I am not interested in the money or fame but I just know the benefits would be game changing for the folk into the sport.

And so happy for you ..I follow what is going on all the time you know.

Alex
Old 10-05-2022, 05:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Sony has a curved CMOS sensor that is patented. It hasn't been released yet.

Greg.
I know...they are not the only one but it has been a while since I knew all that and understandably given I have so much to remember have just forgotten the details..not to worry a goggle has it at ones finger tips.

Maybe we write to tell te
to them explain what a great idea it would be and how the military will buy a great "camera" and we could do the research if they just send us a few sensors..Heck why not..

If one is lucky someone at the company will get the letter realise he can ride the wave and send us a couple.

Alex
Old 10-05-2022, 07:01 PM
leon

Thanks for the kind gesture Alex, yes we are very well and happy.

Stay well my friend.

Leon
Old 11-05-2022, 09:06 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Tisk Tisk ... you had 2 years of COVID lockdown
I know...iiiidiot
Old 11-05-2022, 10:35 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I know...iiiidiot
Ooops ... I guess my comment was offensive. Apologies.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:17 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Ooops ... I guess my comment was offensive. Apologies.
No, I'M the idiot!

Mike