Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 06-05-2022, 08:19 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

3d printers for plastic lids?

Hello,

Can you print both course and fine thread sleeves and caps as found on plastics containers etc?

Would it be easy to model?

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-05-2022, 10:14 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I have printed a screw cap container, and I didn't find it easy. Having said that, my level of experience with the software is pretty low, and the container does work.

Made it for a focal reducer.

I think it would harder to print a lid to match the thread on a container. Hopefully, just a bit of tweaking to match tolerances between the design, the actual printed object and the original object.

Philip
Old 06-05-2022, 10:43 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Sorry, it would be to print both the female and male components, not to any thread standard either. Just wondering what the finest useable thread pitch might be for the components.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:44 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Steve

I think would be a bit easier, and is what did. I should have looked on Thingiverse to begin with, take a look at the link.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4866835

Philip
Old 14-05-2022, 10:31 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hey guys,

This looks fascinating. I’m a complete 3D beginner.

Hopefully this doesn’t detract from the OP’s thread, but as someone with no experience with 3D what sort of costs am I up for for a decent printer for these types of basic projects, and how much are the refills (I’m sure there’s a technical name for these things, but hopefully you know what I mean).

And do you need a high spec lappie or PC to drive them?

Any info gratefully received ��
Old 15-05-2022, 06:34 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Love the idea of 3D printing... The CAD side of it would be a great skill to have.

I just wanted to know if I could get some custom sized threads and diameters for parts. I was just going to hack the threads off, too pinch for the thread inserts to a wooden lid I was thinking of building.

The material held on spools, the printer's printable box area and resolution (ie .2mm) are the big three.

I was hoping to get a 2nd hand working frame and mount the Foucault tester on it at one stage. Depending on the stepper etc I thought I could get a reasonable PC controlled x,y,z axis movement for very little money.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 15-05-2022 at 06:57 AM.
Old 15-05-2022, 01:03 PM
drylander (Peter)

A new in the box Creality 3v2 printer is under $4oo on ebay and they work out of the box really well. As to learning cad, that is an option but when searching on 3D print site, Yeggi for example, most things have already been designed and are available for free or a small cost. I have found the printer to be very useful and entertaining.
Pete
Old 15-05-2022, 02:50 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drylander View Post
A new in the box Creality 3v2 printer is under $4oo on ebay and they work out of the box really well. As to learning cad, that is an option but when searching on 3D print site, Yeggi for example, most things have already been designed and are available for free or a small cost. I have found the printer to be very useful and entertaining.
Pete
Thanks Pete, I appreciate your thoughts 👍
Old 15-05-2022, 03:59 PM
AdamJL

I recently purchased some 3D printed end caps from buckeyestargazer online if they idea of designing and printing your own is too daunting.

They arrived and he even made some custom pieces for me which fit perfectly.
Very impressed